Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM

149 posts, read 496,785 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to SF to job hunt. I was wondering though. How much money should I save up?
I have been regularly been getting job interviews in SF but they end up choosing someone more local than I am. I think if I move I will just be able to move things along more quickly. I have a masters degree so when I find something I guessing the pay will be between 70k-90k. I am single and female if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

143 posts, read 229,251 times
UCLABRUINS, do you have a friend or family member to live with during the transition? If not, I wouldn't recommend it. In any safe neighborhood, I'm guessing that your rent would be 1600 for a one bedroom. That is what my cousin pays in The Richmond. Also, you might try looking in Craigslist to see what a shared apartment would cost. Food is not cheap in SF, no matter what anyone might tell you. If you are in the city or near a Bart though, you wouldn't have to car for a car, so that would help. I've thought about this scenario before when I was interested in relocating and didn't have a local address. If you can get to SF relatively easily (perhaps you are in LA?) then there must be a way to obtain an address to put on top of your resume. No one these days uses snail mail in any event. All prospective employers will contact you via email or phone.

One last thought, if you are going to move to SF without a job, you may want to look into an internship. I found that certain professions/industries operate on a contacts-only basis. In other words, the one who gets the job usually had a contact on the inside. So if agree to a short internship, it will help you meet people and get legitimacy in the Bay Area.

good luck,

Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
UCLABRUINS, do you have a friend or family member to live with during the transition? If not, I wouldn't recommend it. In any safe neighborhood, I'm guessing that your rent would be 1600 for a one bedroom. That is what my cousin pays in The Richmond. Also, you might try looking in Craigslist to see what a shared apartment would cost. Food is not cheap in SF, no matter what anyone might tell you. If you are in the city or near a Bart though, you wouldn't have to car for a car, so that would help. I've thought about this scenario before when I was interested in relocating and didn't have a local address. If you can get to SF relatively easily (perhaps you are in LA?) then there must be a way to obtain an address to put on top of your resume. No one these days uses snail mail in any event. All prospective employers will contact you via email or phone.

One last thought, if you are going to move to SF without a job, you may want to look into an internship. I found that certain professions/industries operate on a contacts-only basis. In other words, the one who gets the job usually had a contact on the inside. So if agree to a short internship, it will help you meet people and get legitimacy in the Bay Area.

good luck,
Two mistakes...

Average reny for a 1 bedroom is roughly $2,700. You can find cheaper options but this is the average. $1,600 for a 1 bedroom though is ridiculusly low though.

The OP could rent a room from an apartment and get a nice place for $1,000.

There are many cheap food options in SF both restaurants and especially groceries. You can send me a DM and I can give you some names.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 PM

326 posts, read 529,364 times
Check out Indeed.com for jobs in biotech. It's a great search engine for careers and I've used it many times to apply for jobs in this area.

Also LinkedIn!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
If you know for sure that those companies did not hire you only because you are not local, you can get a San Francisco address without actually living in San Francisco (plenty of ways to do that), and tell them you are local.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
A lot of Bay Area companies hire outside of the area for talent. If you are getting interviews, it seems that at least initially, they are considering you. I assume that you are telling them that if you are offered the position, that you would readily relocate?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:43 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Why not save up a few grand, take a month and live in a short term apartment/hotel (Extended Stay America, etc)? It's cheaper than getting an apartment, especially if you need to leave quickly if you can't find a job.

That'll also give you time to find a permanent place to stay if you do find a job in the area! Imagine getting an apartment in an area you don't like and want to move close to work, halfway across the Bay that you can afford...

Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
You are NOT easily getting an apartment without a job. Bay Area landlords are very very picky and can afford to be. If you can't get a job from outside the region then I think moving there won't help anyway. Even I, a pretty crappy candidate, got a crappy job in SF while living in another region (Santa Cruz)...I just made it clear I would move right away if I got the job. Be flexible and don't come up with excuses an HR dork can use to lose interest in you.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Lets see, moving without a secured job. Hmmm. What the heck, go for it, things will work out some way right?

Get the job first and then you'll know what will happen when you arrive. Otherwise you are moving with a deadline and JFYI, those Starbucks barristas aren't living in apartments, they live in cars.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,391 times
Most of this thread is good advise. My thoughts are try to get a job first, see if you can do interviews via Skype or by phone. Try to make sure your resume is as complete as possible and state that you are relocating. Don't try to live in the city unless you have a friend(s) or a good amount of money saved up or a job already lined up. I think that living outside the city with access to bus lines, BART, or the Ferry is your best bet. Consider living in Vallejo, CA. The public transportation is good for most parts of the bay area and the rents are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland