Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 09:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
There is no way that incense is creating an uninhabitable situation for the next tenants.
Unless you've smelled the apartment, clon girl, you have no idea whether it is uninhabitable. I once rejected an apartment because it reeked of some sickeningly sweet perfumey stuff. The landlady said, "Oh, that's from the last tenant." Well, I sure wasn't going to be the apartment's next tenant.

Another thing: just because you can't smell something doesn't mean everyone can't smell it. When you use these things that smell (incense, candles, Glade, Febreze), you become accustomed to them. They become the smell of "normal" to you.

I back the landlord 100%, regardless of the tenant's religious -- or any other -- excuse for burning incense. It must have reeked to holy hell for him to charge the OP for this, given which fact her incense may even have been going into the apartments, and therefore the breathing space, of her neighbors.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-25-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
By now I'm sure this situation has been resolved. I do want to share our experience, that our heavy incense-using tenant moved out and we cannot get the incense smell out of the place, especially the one room she burned the incense in. We've repainted walls, trim, ceiling, replaced carpets and carpet pads (after using Kilz on concrete subfloor), thoroughly cleaned light fixtures, windows and metal mini blinds. No duct cleaning bc there aren't any. I'm out of my mind and out of money bc the security deposit doesn't cover the cost of all that work. It would not surprise me if the incense smell absorbed into the wood floors.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAPerson View Post
By now I'm sure this situation has been resolved. I do want to share our experience, that our heavy incense-using tenant moved out and we cannot get the incense smell out of the place, especially the one room she burned the incense in. We've repainted walls, trim, ceiling, replaced carpets and carpet pads (after using Kilz on concrete subfloor), thoroughly cleaned light fixtures, windows and metal mini blinds. No duct cleaning bc there aren't any. I'm out of my mind and out of money bc the security deposit doesn't cover the cost of all that work. It would not surprise me if the incense smell absorbed into the wood floors.
I know a lot of people said the landlord was out to rip people off, but I'll bet none of them have been landlords and owned property that has been damaged. They'd probably speak differently once they saw it coming out of their pockets for a property they sacrificed to buy. I too had a duplex where I couldn't get the smell out and did everything you did and then some. The hardwood floors were toast and I even tried using lye to get the smell out. 6 months later and thousands of $$ later in the end I hired a smoke and water damage company who brought in big air deionizers which ultimately did the trick.
The tenant thought me keeping her $695 deposit was unfair even though it took 6 month of work and 1,000's of dollars to remedy.
Years later that same tenant asked me for a good tenant referral for another place she wanted to rent.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
If I had a rental and someone stunk it up with perfume or incense I would go ballistic. I loaned my car to someone who apparently decided to soak the interior with some horrible perfume (to be honest I think they smoked in my car, knew I would freak out and tried to disguise that stink with perfume). It was absolutely horrible and took me months to get the stink out. I scrubbed every hard surface multiple times, steam cleaned the interior used Ozium repeatedly. When I was about to give up an auto detailer told me to spray Ozium in all of the air vents, he said the stink gets stuck in them and will persist until it's neutralized. He was right, when I tried that the smell went away.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
As a landlord, you do NOT have to rent to anyone. What's illegal is to declare that you do not rent to---Asians, Christians, Blacks, handicapped, etc. If your are fool enough to come out and say so, then, you take the legal consequences.

But all you really have to do is just don't respond. Just say the apt/unit/house is not currently available, you will take their application and contact them when something comes up. And before anyone starts flaming me, I've been discriminated against in housing due to being disabled. Apparently landlords are skeptical handicapped people can earn a living, take care of maintenance, etc. OTH, I own rental property, and I scrutinize/screen my tenants carefully---ie--discriminate. Look, I'm not running a charity or a shelter, its purely a business matter!

I would be furious if a tenant "stunk up" one of my rentals with incense, perfume, cigarettes, whatever. Its permanent damage, rendering the dwelling inhabitable, and decreasing the market value considerably.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAPerson View Post
Have you tried an Ozone generator like this one:

Amazon.com - Sylvan Ozone Generator 3500mg/hr Ozone Output - Air Purifiers

Or this one:

Amazon.com - Commercial Ozone Generator 3500mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Black Deodorizer Sterilizer -

I'm not recommending either one (they just came up in a search). These units can knock out embedded smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland