Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM

60 posts, read 132,653 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I've visited the Bay Area (SF, Oakland and Berkeley) but was surprised to discover that I couldn't locate any black middle class communities. I'm curious if such communities even exist in the Bay Area? One can find a plethora of established black middle class communities in NY (particularly in Queens, and Long Island), the D.C. Metro area, Chicago and of course throughout the South, but do they exist in the Bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:49 AM

I'll take the lack of comments as a resounding, NO.

What I find interesting is, the most liberal area in the U.S. has relatively few or no black middle class communities.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Actually, Oakland has several

Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 AM

43 posts, read 107,370 times
I can't think of a predominantly black middle class neighborhood in the bay area and think there's a couple reasons for that.

1. The black middle class is just not a big enough demographic as a percentage of the entire population to establish one predominant area.

2. I think the priorities of the black middle class are a little different here than other parts of the country once they have achieved a little wealth. I think here priority is given to safe neighborhoods and good schools. Race is less of a factor. And, any safe neighborhood with good schools will attract a variety of people.

My black middle class friends live in San Francisco, walnut Creek, Oakland, Berkeley and San Jose. They are minorities in their neighborhoods usually but the bay area is a melting pot so it is not an issue.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Middle class blacks don't statistically live in black predominant neighborhoods. They move to more affluent areas where they are not the majority.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Middle class blacks don't statistically live in black predominant neighborhoods. They move to more affluent areas where they are not the majority.
This is completely untrue. Most middle class blacks in the U.S. live in a middle class black community. Of course middle class differs based on region/locality.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
This is completely untrue. Most middle class blacks in the U.S. live in a middle class black community. Of course middle class differs based on region/locality.
The other poster should have said "middle class blacks in the Bay Area". Neighborhoods are separated more by economic status in the Bay Area than by race (to the degree that the two don't overlap).

Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Actually, Oakland has several
Which areas in Oakland?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The other poster should have said "middle class blacks in the Bay Area". Neighborhoods are separated more by economic status in the Bay Area than by race (to the degree that the two don't overlap).
I would be interested in seeing the overall number of blacks in the Bay area with middle class incomes.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Maxwell Park definitely comes to mind. I'm not black, but lots of my neighbors in Jack London Square are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland