Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's a New Yorker article, a strawman article. Because SF happens to be doing better than NYC economically at the moment, the writer is creating this false fantasy that San Franciscans want to better than NYC....that San Franciscans desire global dominance on the same level as NYC.

Even if SF did want that, they would not be overt about it or even write an such an article. It's not the California way.

When New Yorkers talk crap about California, I'll be the first defend our State.
Most New Yorkers don't even know who you are. So with that beig said who actually spoke the words that you're implying? For all we know it's possibly a yuppie from SF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Most New Yorkers don't even know who you are. So with that beig said who actually spoke the words that you're implying? For all we know it's possibly a yuppie from SF
I know, rrright! I keep waiting for one of you to post the link that proves the writer is a San Franiciscan! I bet he is, but a transplant from NYC!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I know, rrright! I keep waiting for one of you to post the link that proves the writer is a San Franiciscan! I bet he is, but a transplant from NYC!
Oh we can play that game. In the meanwhile I'll wait just a little for you to pull out a scenario of New Yorkers worrying about San Fran .

I will admit that I did believe magazines could walk and talk when I lost a few in my room when I was 4. Horrible experience

Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
PLEASE don't call it 'San Fran!'
lol why? Is it like calling NYC the Big Apple? Or is it worse than that?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
lol why? Is it like calling NYC the Big Apple? Or is it worse than that?
That's funny, I will remember this when I visit SF. I have called it San Fran since birth lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
That's funny, I will remember this when I visit SF. I have called it San Fran since birth lol.
Apparently Oakland residents take offense to it. I don't know what's wrong with calling it San Fran either.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Because 'San Francisco' is so much prettier sounding than 'SAN-FRAN'. It grates on my ears and nerves, being very nasal sounding. Reminds me of Fran Drescher from the Nanny. Figures that it wouldn't bother New Yorkers one bit though.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Because 'San Francisco' is so much prettier sounding than 'SAN-FRAN'. It grates on my ears and nerves, being very nasal sounding. Reminds me of Fran Drescher from the Nanny. Figures that it wouldn't bother New Yorkers one bit though.
Nope it's sounds better then the rotten apple lol.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM

587 posts, read 1,411,433 times
In some ways, SF will never be NYC. The streets of Manhattan are paved with gorgeous women of all races, everywhere. SF? Not so much. There are good looking girls in SF, but SF can't hold a candle to Manhattan in terms of beautiful women. People in NYC take fashion to another level. NYC is the fashion capital of the world. There are literally hundreds of thousands of well-dressed people in NYC. SF weather can be awkward and encourages frumpiness with many people. People, as a whole, care much less about clothes in SF and it shows. SF is weird because some people wear heavy snorkal parkas designed for skiing all year round and others are just fine wearing a t-shirt all year round. NYC, as a whole, is more diverse than SF. Manhattan is actually very, very similar to SF in terms of racial and corresponding economic demographics although SF has more Asians and Manhattan has more Latinos and a slightly higher proportion of blacks.

In other ways, NYC will never be SF. You have a level of freedom in SF that doesn't exist in NYC. NYC is the marijuana arrest capital of the world. You have narcs in NYC parks pretending to be weed sellers busting average joes trying to buy twomp sacks. What a waste of tax payer dollars and time. SF is just the opposite in being the most weed friendly big city in America. NYC has no natural beauty. Its all the awe of that which is man-made. No rolling hills, palm trees and stunning aerial views on foot like SF.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
SFO, Frisco, San Fran....god this forum is so annoying with people always telling others what to call it and not call it. If it's not derogatory then who cares? I swear only in the Bay Area do people get so uptight about stuff like this and feel the need to constantly correct others. I can't stand the way "San Fran" sounds either but I've never told anyone not to say it because I don't see the big deal if someone wants to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland