Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosf1995 View Post
There's a bunch in north beach and all along mission street. I've seen them.
There are like 500 of them in the city, I know none of them are going to be the ritz or even the holiday inn but they can't all be that bad, north beach is a beautiful area so I don't know how every hotel there is completely disgusting. And oakland is a nice city but it's just like every mid sized city in california, i might as well live in Stockton if I'm going to live in Oakland.

Dude, since you know everything, why not just move here and let us all know how it works out for you. Geez...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 39,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=34398972"][/URL]

Dude, since you know everything, why not just move here and let us all know how it works out for you. Geez...
Dude, I'm not implying that I know everything cause I don't. I asked a specific question. For specific hotel recommendations. Not a lecture about the joys of oakland. If you didn't have a specific hotel recommendation as my question requested, why did you even answer it? Are you a realtor in oakland? Now if anyone can recommend any specific hotels I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure not everyone on this site is from oakland or makes $400k a year. Thanks and have a great day in oakland...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
The SROs in SOMA and the Mission are just as bad as the ones in the Tenderloin, the main SRO concentration in the Mission (Mission Street between 15th and 17th) is basically a smaller version of the Tenderloin as is the SRO concentration on 6th and 7th streets between Market and Howard. If you want to live in an SRO, live in one in DT Oakland and save the couple hundred on rent every month. If you're really dead-set on experiencing the absolute worst the Bay Area has to offer though, pick any SRO in San Francisco.

P.S. "catching lice" is the least of your problems... Try catching Hep C in the shared bathrooms.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Dude, I'm not implying that I know everything cause I don't. I asked a specific question. For specific hotel recommendations. Not a lecture about the joys of oakland. If you didn't have a specific hotel recommendation as my question requested, why did you even answer it? Are you a realtor in oakland? Now if anyone can recommend any specific hotels I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure not everyone on this site is from oakland or makes $400k a year. Thanks and have a great day in oakland...
Nobody can supply you with one because they don't exist. SROs aren't places most people would WILLINGLY move to. Do you know what a 'flop house' means? Quit being so defensive and come up with a better plan like a roommate situation or getting housing through a JC. I can guarantee if you bring your know-it-all attitude with you to SF, you'll encounter people just like me who will laugh when you move home in six months after blowing through all of your money living in a third world slum like the TL. SF isn't for kids, it's for adults with money these days.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Look into the San Remo Hotel in North Beach. You may have to check out and check in every 28 days but it is pretty nice albeit small. I honestly don't know if this would work for 2-4 months but it can't hurt to look into. It is clean and in a nice area.

San Remo Hotel- North Beach San Francisco Hotel- Historic San Francisco Hotels Good luck!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Look into the San Remo Hotel in North Beach. You may have to check out and check in every 28 days but it is pretty nice albeit small. I honestly don't know if this would work for 2-4 months but it can't hurt to look into. It is clean and in a nice area.

San Remo Hotel- North Beach San Francisco Hotel- Historic San Francisco Hotels Good luck!!!
San Remo is at least $90/night (tax not included) for the cheapest option.
Hostels are not an option either given the OP due to the stay limits, and some restrict longer stays to non US citizens.
A room at a SRO in North Beach runs $1000/month ... or it did a few years ago, as I was told while I waiting for the bus, minding my own business by some dishevel guy who seem to have some sort of mental health problem and/or substance abuse problems.

Restaurants in SF tend to have shorter operating hours then in NYC, commuting by Bart is not impossible.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nobody can supply you with one because they don't exist. SROs aren't places most people would WILLINGLY move to. Do you know what a 'flop house' means? Quit being so defensive and come up with a better plan like a roommate situation or getting housing through a JC. I can guarantee if you bring your know-it-all attitude with you to SF, you'll encounter people just like me who will laugh when you move home in six months after blowing through all of your money living in a third world slum like the TL. SF isn't for kids, it's for adults with money these days.
What's a JC? Junior college? And roommates don't work, I don't need people complaining if I go out in the middle of the night or talk to loudly on the phone or listen to music. Been there, done that, no.
Also I don't know why you're being so diminutive and talking to me like I'm some bright-eyed farm boy from Nebraska who doesn't know sh*t. I'm from New York City, I grew up I'm subsidized housing with crackheads in Coney Island...I'm really not ignorant to the problems that come along with living in a big city. I'm laughing at you for perpetuating the "I'm from the west coast so I know more about life so I have a god given right to be insufferably smug" stereotype. And blow through my money? I set my budget low on purpose to avoid that. In my line of work there are always jobs and I've been on my own working and supporting myself since like 9th grade so I don't really think you should make assumptions and personal attacks at me. I didn't ask for your personal annotations oh wise sage of the Bay Area. People make it on way less cash and skills than I have (which admittedly is not an enormous amount) every day. What about the 10's of thousands of Mexicans and Asians(not techie immigrants) who come to the city? They probably don't have $100 in their pocket and maybe don't speak enough english to pass elementary school, they haven't all moved out right? You're probably the biggest drag to hang out with. You're officially dismissed, bye!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

[url=http://www.sanremohotel.com/]San Remo Hotel- North Beach San Francisco Hotel- Historic San Francisco Hotels[/url] Good luck!!!
Thank you!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
What's a JC? Junior college? And roommates don't work, I don't need people complaining if I go out in the middle of the night or talk to loudly on the phone or listen to music. Been there, done that, no.
Also I don't know why you're being so diminutive and talking to me like I'm some bright-eyed farm boy from Nebraska who doesn't know sh*t. I'm from New York City, I grew up I'm subsidized housing with crackheads in Coney Island...I'm really not ignorant to the problems that come along with living in a big city. I'm laughing at you for perpetuating the "I'm from the west coast so I know more about life so I have a god given right to be insufferably smug" stereotype. And blow through my money? I set my budget low on purpose to avoid that. In my line of work there are always jobs and I've been on my own working and supporting myself since like 9th grade so I don't really think you should make assumptions and personal attacks at me. I didn't ask for your personal annotations oh wise sage of the Bay Area. People make it on way less cash and skills than I have (which admittedly is not an enormous amount) every day. What about the 10's of thousands of Mexicans and Asians(not techie immigrants) who come to the city? They probably don't have $100 in their pocket and maybe don't speak enough english to pass elementary school, they haven't all moved out right? You're probably the biggest drag to hang out with. You're officially dismissed, bye!
Many of them have moved out and the ones who haven't are typically splitting rent 5+ ways or living in SROs or the projects (which nowadays have a waiting list about as long as you've been alive). You would be smart to pick the 1st one... if you're pissed off by not being able to play music at night in a roommate situation you'll love all the dozens of asinine regulations at your average SF SRO - no guests after 8 pm, no hot plates, etc - that if you break might get you a one-way ticket to Hooverville TL-style. You clearly don't know what you're getting into.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Many of them have moved out and the ones who haven't are typically splitting rent 5+ ways or living in SROs or the projects (which nowadays have a waiting list about as long as you've been alive). You would be smart to pick the 1st one... if you're pissed off by not being able to play music at night in a roommate situation you'll love all the dozens of asinine regulations at your average SF SRO - no guests after 8 pm, no hot plates, etc - that if you break might get you a one-way ticket to Hooverville TL-style. You clearly don't know what you're getting into.
Thanks for that. Is it a common thing for everyone over there to have such a "glass half empty" attitude?

I repeat, I know that these places aren't fabulous. I just was looking for somewhere to crash until I get settled. Why is everyone turning this into a calamity? And also, to the guy who said commuting on BART is possible, I guess it is if I only want to go to the city to work, what if I want to go out? I'd have to take like 4 buses to get home or wait till the morning. And any money I would save by living in oakland would be eaten up by the $200 a month I would spend on BART not including a monthly pass to get around SF and another to get around oakland. That's like $400 a month total just to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland