Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM

25 posts, read 32,411 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start a Master's Program at Cal in August, and am relocating to the "other side of the tunnel" from Walnut Creek. I am an "older" student (female), having raised my kids (youngest is 18 and about to graduate HS). I am ready to strike out on my own (read:separating from Hubby-amicably), do something for me, pursue my dream, etc. I've been searching Craigslit for rentals and have viewed a couple of places. They go quickly right now! Later today I'm looking at a Montclair Hills lower unit in someone's home, and then later, at a small apartment 1/2 block from Cal in a historic building between Oxford and Shattuck. I guess my questions center around this point: Is it better to live near campus and walk to school/dining/shopping/laundry; vs. live a little further away w/ more amenities with the unit like laundry and parking but have to take public transpo; vs. live somewhere further out, not so accessible to public transpo, drive to campus and park with a student parking permit? I like the idea of being near campus, but the unit I am looking at today has no parking and no laundry. So I will have to either buy an area sticker for my car and deal with looking for street parking, or rent a parking space from someone (have seen some on CL for $80 to $150/mo). I'm trying to evaluate whether quality of life is more affected by having to deal w/ a commute every day while living further out in a place that has laundry & parking, vs. living nearby, enjoying all that the area near campus has to offer on foot, but having to haul my laundry out to a laundromat and deal w/ street parking. Does this make sense? My budget is flexible but honestly I'd rather pay less, even if the place is small. I'll be in the program for two years and then probably move again to wherever my new career takes me. The little unit near campus is $1325, the Montclair unit is $1500, and I've seen some cute things near Piedmont Ave for $2200 to $2500. There are pros and cons to all of the above. Opinions/personal experiences please! I'm looking to move ASAP as things are awkward at home. Do-able, but awkward and I'm so ready to get myself situated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Drive to campus? Getting a parking spot is terrible! I'd live in transit-able distance in Oakland or Berkeley.

Try North Berkeley around Solano or Rockridge for easiest bus commutes. Piedmont Ave, as long as you are closer to Broadway wouldn't be too bad, but you would transfer buses (the 51 splits) or take the kinda slow 12. Or BART too. Depending on your department, it could be a little bit of a walk to your program.

Most apartments in Berkeley, particularly close to the campus are horrible. Student quality! But in terms of areas close to campus, on the north side around Euclid is pretty great or Elmwood (which generally has terrible apartments).

Montclair would be a pain, you would be trapped in all of the Bay Bridge traffic to get to Berkeley (not to mention the whole parking problem).

Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
It all depends on how involved on campus you plan to be. If you're just going to be studying and going to classes, I don't think Berkeley offers anything Oakland doesn't. If anything, you'll get less for your money. Now if you'll need to be on campus daily and plan on getting really involved with campus life, then I'd say that a commute from Oakland will get a little tired after a while. One thing to keep in mind though is that around campus, it's undergrad central. If that bothers you, I'd stay away.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Drive to campus? Getting a parking spot is terrible! I'd live in transit-able distance in Oakland or Berkeley.

Try North Berkeley around Solano or Rockridge for easiest bus commutes. Piedmont Ave, as long as you are closer to Broadway wouldn't be too bad, but you would transfer buses (the 51 splits) or take the kinda slow 12. Or BART too. Depending on your department, it could be a little bit of a walk to your program.

Most apartments in Berkeley, particularly close to the campus are horrible. Student quality! But in terms of areas close to campus, on the north side around Euclid is pretty great or Elmwood (which generally has terrible apartments).

Montclair would be a pain, you would be trapped in all of the Bay Bridge traffic to get to Berkeley (not to mention the whole parking problem).
So are you saying that even if one purchases a student parking permit, finding a parking space is difficult? If so, I will happily drop the driving idea.

I did notice that Rockridge is an easy commute via bus, and Piedmont Ave. area will be a little more work due to switching buses. But both are nice.

Btw, my department is the School of Public Health. Their building is on Oxford and Addison. But I'm told my classes will be spread all over campus.

I have heard that the Southside is Undergrad/party central, so I am not looking there. Northside is my favorite option, it's gorgeous but more expensive, and units are hard to come by thus far, but I will keep watching.

Elmwood is also nice but also hard to find a nice place.

I don't really care if the apartment is luxurious or not, but I do care a little about style. I would prefer an older/vintage style building to the run-of-the-mill mid-century, boring space even if the older unit is smaller,etc. I have a thing about walking up to my place and feeling good about it from the outside as well as inside, and I love old architecture/character/charm. It only needs to serve me for a couple of years and I just want to be able to make it cozy.

Anyway I think I am going to ditch the driving from Montclair idea, I forgot about traffic on Hwy13, etc. toward Bay Bridge. We used to live there 20+ years ago and I now remember it's congested at commute times.

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It all depends on how involved on campus you plan to be. If you're just going to be studying and going to classes, I don't think Berkeley offers anything Oakland doesn't. If anything, you'll get less for your money. Now if you'll need to be on campus daily and plan on getting really involved with campus life, then I'd say that a commute from Oakland will get a little tired after a while. One thing to keep in mind though is that around campus, it's undergrad central. If that bothers you, I'd stay away.
I will have daily classes, this is a full-time, 2yr program. I don't plan on getting involved in student gov't or anything like that, I'm too old to fit in (in my 40's)! It's going to be hard enough to fit in w/ the 'kids' in my program. But I do plan on being social, forming connections,etc., with those who are willing to hang out with an old gal such as myself. Being newly single, I will need to stay connected and not isolate, that is not healthy. That is why I like the idea of being near campus on the North side or West side near Shattuck. There are lots of eateries, coffee shops, etc. where I can at least rub shoulders with other people. I have hung out there a lot, I do realize that all walks of life exist there, and that is ok with me. I like the diversity. I do like my quiet time alone though, so I just hope I can find an area that's not too loud all night long. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl529 View Post
So are you saying that even if one purchases a student parking permit, finding a parking space is difficult? If so, I will happily drop the driving idea.
It is hard to actually purchase the permit! I guess if you actually get one, there are parking spaces. But you don't get to choose a lot. Who knows, you might get the Strawberry Field lot, and it will be a hike back to your car.

Berkeley really doesn't want anyone to drive to campus.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Branch out to Albany as well. Although I think Rockridge is a winner. Easy commute to campus and "older" people.

For a really strange idea:
I lived in the International House as an undergrad. It is 50/50 grad undergrad. And there were actually quite a few "older" students and non traditional ones. I knew quite a few people in their 30s and 40s (keep in mind I was in 20-22 during that time) and I even knew a woman who was a grandmother who lived there.

In terms of charm (and networking) it is actually a great place to live! I know it seems really strange to look at student housing, but it was an awesome experience. They reserve the upper floors for grad students, older students and quieter people.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Ok jade408, great ideas! I will look into Int'l House. Albany--didn't see much on CL but will look again. How's the commute from over there via public transpo? I can check 511.com traffic for transpo options/routes later, but off the top of your head, any areas to avoid or seek?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 PM

46 posts, read 49,749 times
I think North of campus/North Berkeley, Elmwood/Rockridge, maybe downtown Berkeley, and possibly Albany are all good options. I-house is also a good suggestion to look into, I don't know how their housing works but that is a convenient location though surrounded by frat/sorority houses. You could also do a temporary stay somewhere while you look so you can have more time to find something you like instead of taking one of the first options that comes even if they aren't ideal for you. Have you also looked to see what options the school might provide? Student Housing

Old 04-25-2014, 12:38 AM

The other student housing is aimed at undergrads. There is family housing in albany.

I-house is one of the few options besides co-ops but those are younger people. The international house does actually have older people, even though it was a dorm. Also quite well known for couples. I know quiet a few and even a second generation one. If I recall they have slightly rolling admissions for housing but it fills up typically before the summer starts. Now is the time to look.

I of course don't know the mix now but I am sure it isn't too different. The frats had no impact in day to day life there and one year I lived facing the frats.

OP, I believe the best bus from campus to Albany is the 18. If you live near the Solano part it is a pretty quick hop. We used to walk over to Albany.

It is like a 30 minute walk to downtown Berkeley.

I would skip Elmwood only because I have never seen even a reasonably nice apartment over there. Rockridge does have nice rentals but limited inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland