Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 PM

17 posts, read 21,695 times

Advertisements

First things first, let me talk a bit about myself and my situation.
I'm a 20 years old male and I live in Venezuela (Excuse me if I make mistakes since my first language is spanish) we would all agree I'm white but I'm actually hispanic (just look white)
So I saved up enough money to move to USA and basically start a new life by my own, I will study and work (not exactly have a job, I will explain later on). The problems I am going through right now are basically the fact that I cannot decide where to move to and here's why:
I have always knew that San Francisco is kind of a Metropolis which is a plus for me since I like big citties but because of that it is also an expensive place to live in which might be a problem, so I've been doing my homework and found a good place to rent in Berkeley which I know is another City but it for sure is hell close to where I want to be at (SF).
Another factor in place are businesses I have many kinds of businesses but mostly I sell cars even though I adapt easily and could do anything to make money (I live on my own since I am 12 so I can handle that) having said that I'm not rich and certainly I need to save because of such a big transition
Also for commuting I will be riding a motorcycle I will buy one as soon as I can so I guess SF traffic isn't much of a problem
Another factor is that I'm still young and I like to party a lot I mostly prefer house parties but I also like going to a night club every once in a while and since I'm moving in fresh I won't know anybody, It's easy for me to make friends but still location always affects that and since I make money basically with a little move here and there knowing the right people is very important
So will I be missing the lifestyle that SF offers because of living in Berkeley? Or can I just rent in Berkeley and hang out in SF, "work" in SF, study in SF and having some nightlife in SF?
Also if you have any suggestion please share it I've also heard of Oakland but I dont know it doesn't grab my attention.
Will wait anxiously for your answers
-Bltrn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Bump, geez I thought people would answer this

Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM

95 posts, read 172,574 times
You sound like you have it planned out pretty well. I don't think it's a huge issue to "sleep" somewhere else and work/play in SF if that's what you want. It actually may be better to keep cost lower by living out of the city until you find employment. UC Berkeley would be nearby too so finding folks your age should be easier.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,924 times
It will cost you around $3.30 - $3.75 USD each way, but you can travel easily between S.F. parties and a Berkeley/Oakland rental via our region's BART metro system. Bart.gov will tell you more. You also may find a social scene to your liking in the East Bay once you're here.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,472,334 times
Just keep in mind that BART generally stops running at midnight, and riding your motorcycle back to the East Bay is not advisable unless you are completely sober.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:44 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,364,960 times
If you are not currently employed, SF is out of the question. It will drain your bank account of everything you have worked so hard for for years. Finding even just a room in a shared apartment is difficult under $1k/month unless you want to live in the ghetto. And trust me, you DON'T want to do that here.

Since SF has become so expensive, many younger people and people with jobs that don't pay over $100k/year are moving to Oakland. It has its own downtown that is quite walkable. It used to be extremely dangerous, but as more and more San Franciscans are forced to move there, it has become much nicer. There are a lot of new restaurants and stores opening up there. It is very convenient to SF. Depending on where in SF you want to go and where in Oakland you live, you can be literally one subway stop away from SF on BART. The areas around Lake Merritt and Jack London Square are probably the best. Personally, I've never been there, but that's what I've been hearing as the buzz around SF. Oakland is a very large city also though, so you will have plenty of nightlife and shopping and eating options there, but still be very close to SF.

Berkeley is a little farther out of the way. It will take quite a bit longer to get to SF from there. The vibe there is very strange. UC Berkeley is a HUGE university so there is a strong student vibe with many restaurants and bars catering to them. On the other hand, Berkeley is still a stronghold for the hippies of the 1960s. You will see the very nature looking people all over that city still.

In my opinion, I prefer Berkeley on its own because it is much safer. However, if you want to be very close to SF, which I'm sure you do since that's your whole point in moving to the Bay Area, Oakland is a better option. For example, I study in SF and my friends at UC Berkeley almost NEVER come to SF because it is a great city on its own and is a little farther away from SF. Oakland is pretty much an extension of SF. SF and Oakland are like Manhattan and Brooklyn in NYC. Meanwhile, Berkeley is more reserved and is obviously its own entity.

Y si puedo ser honesto contigo, las fiestas en casas en SF no son muy populares pq los vecinos no les gustan mucho las fiestas. He vivido mucho con latinos en mi vida pues yo se' como os gusta fiestar. No es posible aqui. La mayoria de las fiestas son fueras de la casa. Tb las casas y apartamentos son muy pequenos aqui. Los vecinos son el problema mayor aqui.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,058,222 times
If you are coming on a student visa,you cannot legally work off campus.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you are not currently employed, SF is out of the question. It will drain your bank account of everything you have worked so hard for for years. Finding even just a room in a shared apartment is difficult under $1k/month unless you want to live in the ghetto. And trust me, you DON'T want to do that here.

Since SF has become so expensive, many younger people and people with jobs that don't pay over $100k/year are moving to Oakland. It has its own downtown that is quite walkable. It used to be extremely dangerous, but as more and more San Franciscans are forced to move there, it has become much nicer. There are a lot of new restaurants and stores opening up there. It is very convenient to SF. Depending on where in SF you want to go and where in Oakland you live, you can be literally one subway stop away from SF on BART. The areas around Lake Merritt and Jack London Square are probably the best. Personally, I've never been there, but that's what I've been hearing as the buzz around SF. Oakland is a very large city also though, so you will have plenty of nightlife and shopping and eating options there, but still be very close to SF.

Berkeley is a little farther out of the way. It will take quite a bit longer to get to SF from there. The vibe there is very strange. UC Berkeley is a HUGE university so there is a strong student vibe with many restaurants and bars catering to them. On the other hand, Berkeley is still a stronghold for the hippies of the 1960s. You will see the very nature looking people all over that city still.

In my opinion, I prefer Berkeley on its own because it is much safer. However, if you want to be very close to SF, which I'm sure you do since that's your whole point in moving to the Bay Area, Oakland is a better option. For example, I study in SF and my friends at UC Berkeley almost NEVER come to SF because it is a great city on its own and is a little farther away from SF. Oakland is pretty much an extension of SF. SF and Oakland are like Manhattan and Brooklyn in NYC. Meanwhile, Berkeley is more reserved and is obviously its own entity.

Y si puedo ser honesto contigo, las fiestas en casas en SF no son muy populares pq los vecinos no les gustan mucho las fiestas. He vivido mucho con latinos en mi vida pues yo se' como os gusta fiestar. No es posible aqui. La mayoria de las fiestas son fueras de la casa. Tb las casas y apartamentos son muy pequenos aqui. Los vecinos son el problema mayor aqui.
It sounds like you are really qualified to give advice on Oakland. Seeing as you have never been there, and you are reading articles about it.

Oakland has had loads of nice places to live for a long time. Somehow, in recent years, people just woke up and discovered it. It isn't a extension of SF, although some areas are newly "hip" for SF transplants.

In terms of saving money, and living among people your age, Berkeley might be a good bet. As there are lots of share room situations since it is so heavily influenced by the campus.

Oakland has nicer apartment stock, but the best areas to live skew a bit older than you are. More like people in their mid to late 20s/30s.

If you don't mind living around "older" people, living in Adams Point in Oakalnd is your best bet in terms of price, amenities and access.

Otherwise live in Berkeley, south of the campus. The places aren't particularly nice, but there are plenty of roommate situations, and transit is good, BART access decent.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,364,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It sounds like you are really qualified to give advice on Oakland. Seeing as you have never been there, and you are reading articles about it.

Oakland has had loads of nice places to live for a long time. Somehow, in recent years, people just woke up and discovered it. It isn't a extension of SF, although some areas are newly "hip" for SF transplants.
I never said I was the best qualified, I'm just trying to be friendly and help him out. No need to get aggressive over this. I wish I could see more of Oakland, but as I live, work, and study in SF I rarely ever leave the city, nor have time to do so even if I wanted to. And not from reading articles, from friends who have moved there, or from locals born and raised there.

The reason it's now "hip" and "newly discovered" is because SF is the anchor of the Bay Area so everyone wants to live there. It's like moving to LA but ending up in Long Beach or moving to NYC and ending up in NJ. There's nothing wrong with the other one, but it's not the major city you're moving to the area for. Now that SF is pricing everyone out, people are moving to Oakland. People are moving to NJ now that they're being priced out of NYC too. Same thing. And let's be honest, Oakland was not nearly as safe or nice as it is today. I never would have suggested someone move to Oakland back in the day. Today it's a nice place to move to (most of it).

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you are coming on a student visa,you cannot legally work off campus.
Yes I am going with a student visa but as I said I am not looking for a job I have my ways of making money, not Ilegally though

@jessemh431 hey thanks for your advice it really did help and I think I'm going for Berkeley
Thanks everybody for your comments
Oye hablas muy bien español pareces ser español y ya que vives en SF que me dices de no perder el contacto me haría bien tener un amigo al llegar sabes y gracias por la ayuda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland