Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times

Advertisements

Go to where ever your net worth can grow the most. The end.

Moving some place for lifestyle is for idle rich, and kooks who want to forget they are poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:00 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My friends who moved to the Bay Area from Texas won't even go back to Texas because of the heat. It's a real thing, like not wanting to live in zero temps even though there is indoor heating. Lifestyle is always a consideration unless you never go outside and are ok with that. At this point in my life I'm even less tolerant to heat than I was when I was younger. I'd go colder but I'd never go hotter. I wouldn't do east coast humidity either but that doesn't mean the east coast sucks.

There is nothing wrong with Texas, but OP mentioned not liking heat so some of us picked up on that and suggest less hot places. It's IS hotter there than it is here. Fact. That is all. Not a rant.
Texas hosts a range of temperatures Map of Texas (Map Average Temperatures) : Worldofmaps.net - online Maps and Travel Information

Some places are hot and dry some places are hot and humid some places only have mild heat.

Right now the Bay Area is experiencing hotter temperatures than most of Texas.
Texas Temperature Map - Air Sports Net

Where did your friend live in Texas?

I lived most of my life in Houston and I can tell you that the heat there is certainly tolerable. I personally love humidity. The biggest complaint people have about Houston weather is the humidity.

There is a huge misconception that all of Texas is an unbearable oven by people who have only lived or visited one part of Texas. It would be like only visiting San Diego or the Central Valley and thinking all of CA has that type of weather.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 PM

127 posts, read 156,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

There is a huge misconception that all of Texas is an unbearable oven by people who have only lived or visited one part of Texas. It would be like only visiting San Diego or the Central Valley and thinking all of CA has that type of weather.

or visiting death valley thinking that its an adequate representation of the whole state of California.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas View Post
or visiting death valley thinking that its an adequate representation of the whole state of California.
Thanks for another excellent example! Texas hosts a wide range of temperatures just like CA.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Knoxville, TN
Annapolis, MD
Atlanta Northern Suburbs

Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Texas has water issues just like California, though.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Texas hosts a range of temperatures Map of Texas (Map Average Temperatures) : Worldofmaps.net - online Maps and Travel Information

Some places are hot and dry some places are hot and humid some places only have mild heat.

Right now the Bay Area is experiencing hotter temperatures than most of Texas.
Texas Temperature Map - Air Sports Net

Where did your friend live in Texas?

I lived most of my life in Houston and I can tell you that the heat there is certainly tolerable. I personally love humidity. The biggest complaint people have about Houston weather is the humidity.

I travel to Houston every couple weeks. While it was quite pleasant on 9/24 and 9/25 the last time I was there, it wasn't so pleasant in mid-June when the temperature was close to 90 coupled with close to 80% humidity walking around downtown from a parking garage across the street to go to lunch. You couldn't walk more than a block without a slight sweat starting. Even at night, it doesn't get much below 75 with high humidity so a simple stroll to dinner could result in a light drenching.

It wasn't quite pleasant in July either when I was there. In May it was mid-80's and almost tolerable. At one point last January when I was there an ice storm came through and made it miserable for most of the city. I realize an ice storm hardly ever happens in Houston, but it does and the OP would need to be aware coming from California that the weather in Texas is abysmal in comparison. Now someone coming from the midwest might enjoy the Texas weather. It's all relative and what one is used to. People have said you get used to the humidity in Houston once you have lived there for a while, and I think I can believe that.

When the weather does become pleasant in terms of cooling down into the 60's or 70's it is usually coupled with a severe thunderstorm or a nice stiff 25-30 mph breeze coming out of the north. That to me is not pleasant. Again, it is all relative. Texas can be tolerable depending on what you are used to and what you want out of life.

The one thing that maybe people don't realize about much of Texas are the allergies and asthma that develop in people. My son has never had issues, and within 2 years of living in Texas he has developed severe asthma. The rest of our family has developed severe allergies as well. I've lived in 8 states and never have experienced anything close to the allergies here. The state of Texas ranks very poorly in this area as the attached will show. Just something the OP should think about before making a move.

http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/FINAL_publi...pring_2014.pdf

Asthma Cases Increase as Cities Continue to Ignore Federal Ozone Standards » EcoWatch

Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

PS--I would also agree that Colorado is a nicer place to live, but you are not on vacation. You are jumpstarting your earning potential and making up for lost time. Go where the money and the jobs are and the COL is lower.
This. The OP needs to go live wherever will get their career on track.

My brother was in this situation last year, he moved from Los Angeles to Oklahoma for a 6 month contract job at Conoco Phillips. He hated living there... but now he is back in L.A. making double what he was.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Colorado? I know a couple people from Ptown who moved there and seem pretty happy with their decision. It's definitely NOT California

I don't get why you couldn't find internships while you were in school like the 22 year olds did, but if you're just interested in transferring, and not career questions, I'll just stand by CO.

Colorado is nice, I moved here to Denver from the Bay 4 years ago. But yes there are a lot of differences... you get quite spoiled living in Bay with it's big city amenities and outdoor living.

The winters here can be long and harsh (Oct -to- May). Also, neither the food nor nightlife are near the level of the Bay. However, salaries are about the same at 1/2 COL.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
I'd say Colorado would be good. Maybe western North Carolina too? Though that is a pretty conservative state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland