Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 33,400 times

Advertisements

Am new and posted to "reply" instead of New Thread. I am coming to San Francisco the 15th of October and would like to know if the fog is present now. I nearly froze one July and don't want to again. Help please...I am packing now!!! Thanks from VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i was just there, bring a sweater and a hat.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
As I said on the other thread, bring a wool jacket, maybe with a light sweater to wear underneath. It's best to have layers, so you have options. The damp fog can seem colder than the actual temperature indicates.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
September and October are historically the two nicest months of the year in San Francisco.
Easy to look up.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
As I said on the other thread, bring a wool jacket, maybe with a light sweater to wear underneath. It's best to have layers, so you have options. The damp fog can seem colder than the actual temperature indicates.
The "cold" generally has less to do with the fog itself and more to do with the wind (which often brings in the fog, especially in the evening).

Good for you, OP: October is, for the most part, at the end of any fog season (generally September is). Fog occurs most intensely in the summer months, and by the fall is very much less intense (if there is fog, it's generally much thinner, doesn't come very far inland, and burns off earlier in the day). And October also is the warmest month. This is because it's common for the wind patterns to change from off the ocean to winds coming from the interior of the state (where it is much warmer and drier). This is what we've had off and on for the last few weeks (as you can see, it's been in the high 60's/70's/80's most days in SF and the Bay Area). The beaches were pretty packed this past weekend.

That being said, you should always bring layers when visiting SF (and, generally to most areas of the Bay Area). Just this past weekend, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt during the day, and at night I put on a second shirt layer (my g/f opted for a sweatshirt since she gets colder than I do).

Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Wear layers and bring a hat, that's excellent advice. Generally speaking, October is a warm, sunny month in San Francisco. But as with most coastal climates, the weather can be changeable. We had 85 degree sunny weather yesterday, today the fog is pouring in through the Golden Gate, and tomorrow we're expecting rain showers. Typically it's cool in the mornings and evenings all year round, so a jacket or sweater will come in handy no matter what time of the year you visit.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The "cold" generally has less to do with the fog itself and more to do with the wind (which often brings in the fog, especially in the evening).
It has to do with the damp nature of the fog, which is very penetrating. Cold is one thing. But the damp takes it to a whole other level. SF may get wind, but Berkeley doesn't, generally. It def gets the fog, though, and you'd better be ready for it when it comes in in the evening.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM

483 posts, read 842,641 times
It will be gloriously chilly/cold (50s F) at night. It's almost always chilly/cold at night ("always" meaning probably 355 nights/year).

Otherwise it will be warmer than that and potentially quite warm in the sun, especially in October.

So layer accordingly. And layer for mostly all times, meaning it's fairly likely you'll be both freezing and boiling within any given 2 hour stretch at any time during the day. Just carry a jacket/sweater.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Welcome and spend lots of money.

I think you should wait until you get here and buy a new jacket.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 AM

238 posts, read 302,614 times
be prepared for any and all types of weather. this weekend was very hot but temps are cooling this week and it can get very chilly. you can easily wear shorts and flip flops early in the day and switch to a jacket and hat later.

but looking at the forecast, seems the hot weather is gone for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland