Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 PM

34 posts, read 41,513 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Panning to for a day trip through highway one. Entering to highway one from San Gregorio then Santa Cruz and then Monterrey and return

Could you let me know good beaches and other attractions to see here.

How is Monterrey aquarium?

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Pigeon Point Light Station SHP

Elephant Seals

Old 01-31-2015, 04:48 PM

263 posts, read 438,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amars View Post
Hello,

Panning to for a day trip through highway one. Entering to highway one from San Gregorio then Santa Cruz and then Monterrey and return

Could you let me know good beaches and other attractions to see here.

How is Monterrey aquarium?

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks

You've chosen to not share any personal info, such as your location, with us, so I don't know if you're visiting from another state, or if you're somewhat of a local that's finally going to make the awesome day-long road trip. That info would have been beneficial.

Sounds like you're coming from the South Bay area & planning on taking Hwy 84 to Hwy 1. An alternative is to take 101N to CA-92 over to the Hwy 1 in Half Moon Bay & then head S, *or* take 101 --> 92 to Hwy 35 (Skyline Drive) & take that S thru the forests to Hwy 84, then 84W to 1S.

There are numerous cafes at 35 & 84 & Apple Jack's bar, San Gregorio General Store at 84 & Stage Rd, etc. and all the beaches are interesting. Some look alike, some (Pebble Beach) do not.

Pigeon Point Light House
Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero

Santa Cruz Boardwalk
Cannery Row & the Monterey Bay Aquarium, driving around the old Fort Ord Army Post...

LOTS of things to see & do. For most people it'd be a full day & they'd likely head back to the Bay Area via 101 to save time. Since you didn't really bother to provide much details on any specific interests or handicaps, I've already taken too much time to respond to you.

It's amazing scenery, & despite making dozens of joy-rides & explorations through that area, I never took it for granted and am very lucky that I could (& did) make such spur of the moment trips due to living in in the general area, whereas many others invested a lot of time, trouble and money to make such visits on a formal vacation.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 PM

23,554 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I like Santa Cruz Boardwalk and also the beach at Capitola.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Great suggestions. Also check out Swanton Berry Farm in Davenport (just northwest of Santa Cruz): Swanton Berry Farm | Organically Grown by Union Labor | Davenport, CA

This is a great drive, especially from a solitude perspective (highway 1 isn't super well-traveled south of Half Moon Bay). Winter is a great time to do it, especially with the "winter" we've been having (two straight weekends spent at the beach with temps in the 60-70's).

Old 01-31-2015, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
I think the Monterey Bay Aquarium is great. Been there many times, and always love it.

If you have AAA, you can get discounted tickets at a AAA office:

Discount Details | AAA Northern California, Nevada and Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland