Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,510 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, my wife, 2 year old daughter (1 then) and I moved from SF (lived in a 2 bedroom apartment in Daly City) to upstate New York so that I could take a job at a manufacturing company as an IT Manager. While in SF, my wife and I worked at companies where each of us brought in a bit over 200k combined. However, we both were away from family, and the "cost of living" was getting a bit expensive after having our daughter. So, we moved to an area in upstate NY where we could be driving distance away from some family, where we have been able to afford a very nice house (with land) and where my wife doesn't have to work. However, I now have been given an opportunity to move back to SF for almost as much as what my wife and I were bringing in together, and a very nice relocation package which should take care of moving expenses and such. Given that we own a home here, and that it might take us a while to sell it - the housing market here isn't as cutthroat as it is in the Bay Area - and also given that housing and renting is going to be probably at least triple what our current house payment is... has anyone done something similar, and if so, is it, or was it, a wise choice to move back to the SF area? This is a very big dilemma for me... my wife would be okay - she says - with going back to work part time, but I know that we would have to rent, and probably live further outside of the city (east bay - hayward?) in order to get into a place with at least two bedrooms that is affordable.

Help?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 AM

58 posts, read 79,004 times
If I understand correctly, you'll be making 200k/year by yourself if you move back, yes? You shouldn't have to live in hayward to rent a 2 bedroom, nor should your wife need to work part time if she doesn't want to. 25% of your income is about 4k/month which is enough to rent a two-bedroom condo in almost any peninsula city, and probably even a 2-bedroom house in some peninsula cities. Unless you have significant debt, you should be fine. If you're worried about your current house, can you live in some type of corporate housing until it sells?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,510 times
It would be closer to 160k by myself, but the relo package should take care of moving and rent, I think, at least for a few months. Our debt isn't outrageous - few credit cards, etc. - I guess I'm just hung up a little on moving the family across the country again for work... even though I know the company I would be going to in SF is a very professional environment, I would probably need to move out there first and the family would follow once the house sells.

However... given the fact that we just got 5 inches of snow here last night... I should just pack us all up and move out tomorrow...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,016,894 times
I didn't here any mention of how much you absolutely LOVED living in the Bay Area when you were here.

You also mentioned having your family in NY, owning a house with land, and your wife doesn't even have to work.

I can't understand at all why you'd want to come back. It makes ZERO sense, imo. The extra bump in pay won't allow for any of the things that you have right now...ever.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 PM

308 posts, read 469,818 times
I moved to Rochester, NY two years ago from the Bay Area. We visit back to the Bay Area several times a year and kept our house there for our eventual return. When we visit the Bay Area, we really miss it. But that said, we enjoy the four seasons, don't mind the winter, love that there is no real traffic here, even at commute hours and everything is so easy to get to.

I love the bay area, but it sure is easier to live here and at a fraction of the price, with more house and land.

I'm lucky, we both work remote from home and we are exploring living bi-costal and see how that goes. I think it will make living in the Bay Area more tolerable and then I would have the slower pace here for part of the year. Although, contrary to others, I think we'll spend winters in Rochester, summers in Alameda. We like the winter, fall here, summers in the Bay Area where it is cooler.

Maybe you can find a way to visit more often instead?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:27 AM

21,857 posts, read 16,572,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I can't understand at all why you'd want to come back. It makes ZERO sense, imo. The extra bump in pay won't allow for any of the things that you have right now...ever.
As someone from Minnesota originally, I can understand why the OP would want to come back. Totally. That said, it's true the OP. didn't mention if or how much he and wife previously loved the Bay. I know some people enjoy upstate NY. Can't understand it personally. But I know it's true.

For me it was about three great months a year in late summer / early fall. Rest of the year was miserable weather. Then briefly ok weather under assault by insects. Then miserable weather and insects simultaneously. Then "AH!" for a couple three months. Rinse and repeat. Acreage wouldn't change that nightmare for me in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland