Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM

540 posts, read 653,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
What vibe do you like?
Laid back, non pretentious, loose, have fun atmosphere that you get more in San Jose & Oakland than SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Laid back, non pretentious, loose, have fun atmosphere that you get more in San Jose & Oakland than SF.
I like the same. However, most of the Bay isn't like that in my opinion (here in Solano County, it's laid back but it's a suburban place where families live and old people with not so much money retire). I get those vibes in Sacramento but the job market is to the ****s there; so I'm getting to the point where I have no choice but to leave the West Coast if I want to live in a more urban area without the crap that SF has while having a doable job market.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Berkeley & Oakland, definitely. OP should check those out.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Better check them out quick. Oakland is becoming more and more like SF every day now that the secret is out. Berkeley in some ways is just as snotty as SF, depending on where you hang out.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Berkeley is a different type of snobby. It's more like if you aren't a tree hugger then you are automatically perceived as a heartless hedge fund manager on Wall Street that steal babies for their souls.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Better check them out quick. Oakland is becoming more and more like SF every day now that the secret is out. Berkeley in some ways is just as snotty as SF, depending on where you hang out.
Yeah I went out last week to the Oakland Art Murmur , it was basically San Francisco with more Black people and the Blacks have morphed into weird dressing Hipsters also. I couldn't believe what I was walking through. I actually had to move out of Oakland because my Rent went from $2200 to $3750, but I did have a nice 2 bedroom townhouse in Broadway Grand.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
If the bay area is so amazing, why don't more people live there?
It is pretty much zoning, currently there is a lot of demand for people wanting to live in SF, and then Palo Alto. If you're very wealthy there is a big status boost living in SF, and also for Palo Alto, so people do want to pay a premium and move there, the rest of the Bay Area is also fairly expensive, but not $1000/sqft+, but there is a plenty of demand to live there.

I'm certain that if you build any half-way decent apartment building in any SF, SM Co, SC Co, Alameda Co, Contra Costa west of Pittsburg, and Marin Co. it will fill up pretty fast.

But zoning does not allow any of that, housing supply goes up much more slowly.

So yeah, more people don't live there because they would have nowhere to live, basically making them homeless As much as people want to live here, they are not willing to be homeless.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Yeah I went out last week to the Oakland Art Murmur , it was basically San Francisco with more Black people and the Blacks have morphed into weird dressing Hipsters also. I couldn't believe what I was walking through. I actually had to move out of Oakland because my Rent went from $2200 to $3750, but I did have a nice 2 bedroom townhouse in Broadway Grand.
Oakland still has to overcome its past reputation as crime ridden or "ghetto", once it is considered "cool", people who are concerned about status will seriously consider moving there. It will be in serious risk of being considered cool like the Mission district, which is seriously a "cool" place to live and people are willing to pay over $3000/mo to live in a 1bd apt there.

The problem with the high rents is that most people not concerned about status, just are unwilling to pay the rents to get the status they don't care about, so people that are concerned about status outbid them, to the point were most people moving in are concerned about status. Over groups tend to be those that just want to live close to work, that depends on where their office is, people just trying to find an affordable place with a reasonable commute tend to be a lot of down to earth. You can certainly hope those are the type of people moving there. Too good a reputation can be a bad thing when bragging about living there give you status.

I'm pretty sure downtown San Jose's reputation is so poor that I'm not in risk of having status driven people moving here.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:13 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I'm pretty sure downtown San Jose's reputation is so poor that I'm not in risk of having status driven people moving here.
It's also 100x nicer than Mission District too.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Oakland still has to overcome its past reputation as crime ridden or "ghetto", once it is considered "cool", people who are concerned about status will seriously consider moving there. It will be in serious risk of being considered cool like the Mission district, which is seriously a "cool" place to live and people are willing to pay over $3000/mo to live in a 1bd apt there.

The problem with the high rents is that most people not concerned about status, just are unwilling to pay the rents to get the status they don't care about, so people that are concerned about status outbid them, to the point were most people moving in are concerned about status. Over groups tend to be those that just want to live close to work, that depends on where their office is, people just trying to find an affordable place with a reasonable commute tend to be a lot of down to earth. You can certainly hope those are the type of people moving there. Too good a reputation can be a bad thing when bragging about living there give you status.

That's already happening to Oakland. The rest of the Nation thinks Oakland is one big Slum but most people around here have waken up. In the past 10 years Oakland has changed faster than any city I've seen except maybe Brooklyn. The situation reminds me a lot of Brooklyn actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland