Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 5,307 times

Advertisements

I'm currently pursuing an MBA in finance, and I'd like to work as a senior financial analyst at a tech company anywhere in the Bay Area. I have 4 years of experience in corporate accounting and 2 years in financial analysis. I'm not sure if tech skills matter, but I'm also proficient in Python and SQL.How are the opportunities for senior financial analysts in the Bay area? Are there a limited number of jobs? Competitive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 04:08 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
IDK about tech companies, but you'd have lots of job opportunities with brokerages and other businesses.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,307 times
Do you know the salary range for senior financial analysts with the above qualifications in the Bay Area?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8593 View Post
Do you know the salary range for senior financial analysts with the above qualifications in the Bay Area?
Use salary.com or glassdoor.com to find those things out.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:32 PM

113 posts, read 133,600 times
There are lots of opportunities out here for fin analyst. 100-200k+, depending on your experience, the type of firm, industry and how large the company is. I'd say 200k+ for sr. fin analyst.

You should definitely look at the cost of living, though. 200k doesn't get you THAT much in the Bay currently.

As far as career... if I were you, I'd focus specifically on tech firms or firms consulting with tech firms. Anything else go to NYC, Chicago or London, as SF/SV is a one horse town (dominated by tech).

My firm currently has trouble recruiting for jr analyst as the cost of living here is so high. It's difficult to get people to move to SF for anything less than 150K+, as housing eats up their income (why would you come to SF, when you can make the same amount in Chicago and NYC and have way better housing options and be at the center of finance... just a thought.

Good luck

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
>SF/SV is a one horse town (dominated by tech)

As far as I know, BlackRock, Mellon Capital, Wells Fargo Investment Advisors, RS Investments, and a number of hedge funds such as Farallon all use analysts, many of them very highly paid.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 PM

113 posts, read 133,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
>SF/SV is a one horse town (dominated by tech)

As far as I know, BlackRock, Mellon Capital, Wells Fargo Investment Advisors, RS Investments, and a number of hedge funds such as Farallon all use analysts, many of them very highly paid.
VC and tech valuation. OP - look into that, as it would suit your interests.

As noted, tech runs this town, similar to finance in NYC/London. Hollywood in LA. Politics in DC. Etc.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:30 PM

423 posts, read 610,331 times
(Note: Correction. My original post has link to business analyst, not financial analyst)

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-senior-financial-analyst-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,38.htm
$97k is average annual salary in San Francisco

Salary: Senior Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor
$103k in San Jose

OP: My wife works in business/financial field, so my info is based on her experience. Based on your post, your background is in accounting, not investment research. Many think financial analysis equates investment banking, but most financial analyst positions have nothing to do with investment research. And the pay is not $200k. Maybe in investment research, which I know nothing about.

There is big pay difference (~30%) between large high-tech vs traditional companies. For large high-tech company in South Bay, pay for senior financial analysis can be $120k+, with RSU stocks. Small high-tech and traditional companies (utility, food, consumer goods, etc) pay for senior level is $90-100k. My numbers are couple years old, so might be slightly higher today, but still seems in line with glassdoor.

And no, you don't need to know tech skills to work at high-tech company. The work environment and pace of work are different. High-tech companies expect analyst to work just as hard as engineering, which can mean 10+ hrs each day. Traditional companies work hours are more like 9-6.

Last edited by jk88cal; 07-06-2015 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Correcting link

Old 07-06-2015, 01:09 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8593 View Post
Research it. Easy enough on the internet.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:38 PM

168 posts, read 165,493 times
VCs will care deeply about the name on your diploma, virtually to the exclusion of all else.

Tech firms will be much more interested if you've been with a company through a liquidity event (IPO, merger, sale.) Keep in mind that those liquidity events generate fresh crops of financial analysts who move on to the next firm, making the entry level spots tough to get. I've worked with (not for) two firms; 100-hour weeks weren't uncommon.

Corporate accounting won't be of much interest to either type of firm, other than as prelude to post-IPO Sanbanes-Oxley requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland