Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Suburban Downtown?
Walnut Creek 25 30.12%
Mill Valley 3 3.61%
San Mateo 30 36.14%
Palo Alto 7 8.43%
Mountain View 6 7.23%
Pleasanton 1 1.20%
Redwood City 3 3.61%
Other 8 9.64%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
San Mateo wins for usefulness. Walnut Creek wins for "destination-ness."
How is San Mateo more "useful"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How is San Mateo more "useful"?
I think living there is better as all of the "useful" things are closer together (pharmacy, groceries, post office, dry cleaners, bank, park). The blocks are shorter and more pedestrian friendly since it is older. There is a wide range of restaurants at all price points close together. The stuff you need to do most often is right there in close proximity. And you don't have to trek across strip mall parking lots and millions of driveways which makes a better on the ground experience. And there is a park. Denser housing too.

Walnut Creek is best for a "day trip" of eating, drinking and shopping.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I think living there is better as all of the "useful" things are closer together (pharmacy, groceries, post office, dry cleaners, bank, park). The blocks are shorter and more pedestrian friendly since it is older. There is a wide range of restaurants at all price points close together. The stuff you need to do most often is right there in close proximity. And you don't have to trek across strip mall parking lots and millions of driveways which makes a better on the ground experience. And there is a park. Denser housing too.

Walnut Creek is best for a "day trip" of eating, drinking and shopping.
Yeah I agree it is more compact. I was just wondering what you meant because I feel DT WC has more day-to-day amenities (grocery stores, Target, etc.) than SM but yes they can be relatively farther apart.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah I agree it is more compact. I was just wondering what you meant because I feel DT WC has more day-to-day amenities (grocery stores, Target, etc.) than SM but yes they can be relatively farther apart.
And not pleasant to get to when you are not in a car. The groceries are still trapped in strip malls with huge parking lots. Every time I am over there I think I can multitask and stop at Trader Joes or whatever, I get annoyed because it is so far. And not really a fun walk You get parking garages, wide streets and other unappealing stuff due to the age when it was developed.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
And not pleasant to get to when you are not in a car. The groceries are still trapped in strip malls with huge parking lots. Every time I am over there I think I can multitask and stop at Trader Joes or whatever, I get annoyed because it is so far. And not really a fun walk You get parking garages, wide streets and other unappealing stuff due to the age when it was developed.
All of the grocery stores in DT SM having parking lots as well. The parking lot at Trader Joe's is not bigger than any of the grocery stores in DT SM, even Target isn't that big because most of it is below ground.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
San Mateo has a more authentic downtown. You can tell that it was once a small rail town, where downtown was pretty much the heart of the city's commerce.

WC feels more generic, auto-centric "main street", and forced. The mixture of old buildings and gaudy new stuff gives it a yucky hodge podge feel.

The intersection of main and mt diablo is a perfect example. Look at the awful apple store, next to tiffany's, and the neiman marcus. You can tell the city council and voters are not big on quality aesthetics. Modern, post modern, revival, they don't care. Just build, build, build!!!!!

Of course the outer east bay is filled with middle America types, the type of people who wear mall cloths, so it doesn't surprise me. The 650 burbs just have a more classy way of putting stuff together and have better bones to work with.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
I voted Mountain View. I like that they have two thriving bookstores not named Barnes and Noble next door to each other. Especially like the older of those two named Bookbuyers there. DTMV has always been a good place for Asian restaurants and gift stores, but offers more variety now. Spent a lot of time in downtown Mountain View when I worked in Mountain View and lived nearby in Sunnyvale.

However when I was in my 20's to mid-30's, I enjoyed downtown Los Gatos as it was close to where I lived then (in the 1980's and 90's). Was surprised it did not at least make the list. I have been in downtown San Mateo a few times which is very nice and offers a lot, too. Any of these three would be a strong "thumbs up" IMO.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I voted for Pleasanton. The next one would be Palo Alto.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:50 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I voted Mountain View. I like that they have two thriving bookstores not named Barnes and Noble next door to each other. Especially like the older of those two named Bookbuyers there. DTMV has always been a good place for Asian restaurants and gift stores, but offers more variety now. Spent a lot of time in downtown Mountain View when I worked in Mountain View and lived nearby in Sunnyvale.

However when I was in my 20's to mid-30's, I enjoyed downtown Los Gatos as it was close to where I lived then (in the 1980's and 90's). Was surprised it did not at least make the list. I have been in downtown San Mateo a few times which is very nice and offers a lot, too. Any of these three would be a strong "thumbs up" IMO.
Agreed. I lived in Mountain View for almost 12 years. Downtown was one of the reasons I stayed. Almost always has lots of people around, really busy on weekends. Bookstores, coffee shops, performing arts center, lots of restaurants, etc.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Is San Rafael decent compared to the choices above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland