Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How plausible is it that this that this scenario would allow both her and her 15 year old son to live there?
Quite plausible. I know of a woman and her two boys around age 6 and 8 who moved into the small 2 bed 1 bth annex, up the stairs, at my friend's elderly dad's house. The boys were in school all day Mon - Fri and the mom took care of my friend's dad, who lived in the main house, seven days a week. After about ten years the dad died. The caregiver mom and the boys were very reluctant to leave and were granted permission to stay while the adult children tried to figure out what to do with the house. After a year, the siblings finally all agreed to sell the house. Then the mom and boys left quietly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That could work, and if you search for "live in" you get a large number of other possibilities: SF bay area jobs "live in" - craigslist

I know it's possible because I have done volunteer work with women w/ children and they have found live in jobs, it's been one of the few avenues I've found for a mom to break out of welfare and start becoming financially independent. The mom has to be prepared to talk the employer into letting their child live in the house by presenting the kid as being quiet and respectful. If possible the applicant should at least get a CPR and first aid card and if they want to make the max amount of $ they should sign up with California IHSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Quite plausible. I know of a woman and her two boys around age 6 and 8 who moved into the small 2 bed 1 bth annex, up the stairs, at my friend's elderly dad's house. The boys were in school all day Mon - Fri and the mom took care of my friend's dad, who lived in the main house, seven days a week. After about ten years the dad died. The caregiver mom and the boys were very reluctant to leave and were granted permission to stay while the adult children tried to figure out what to do with the house. After a year, the siblings finally all agreed to sell the house. Then the mom and boys left quietly.

This is great to hear! Hopefully the OP looks into this!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 AM

323 posts, read 697,510 times
Apologizing to the OP as I am coming in late to this post. Suggest you try a program in Oakland called Operation Dignity which may be able to provide inexpensive family housing near the old naval base in Alameda. Although primarily for Veterans they may be able to help in some way. Operation Dignity – Our Programs

Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
She has $1600 and no vehicle, can you explain how she is supposed to move to Arizona, find a place to live and support herself until she starts getting a paycheck? I don't think getting on a bus and landing in a place you know nothing about without enough money to pay first month and deposit on an apartment and have at least enough money to last 60 days would have a very good outcome, particularly in a state like Arizona which is notoriously stingy with welfare.

Rosie SD and I both suggested she get a live-in gig in exchange for free rent, work another job while she is doing that and save like crazy. Then when she has enough money she can consider relocating either to a cheaper part of the state or moving out of state.
Did I say she should move to a place with no preparation, no job in line? I simply said she should consider moving elsewhere, and shouldn't listen to your original idiotic idea about sleeping in a van in a parking lot. That's ridiculously stupid, especially with a 15 year old daughter.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Did I say she should move to a place with no preparation, no job in line? I simply said she should consider moving elsewhere, and shouldn't listen to your original idiotic idea about sleeping in a van in a parking lot. That's ridiculously stupid, especially with a 15 year old daughter.
Wow what is going on with you? You can't seem to discuss anything without attacking people. You should probably find a new hobby.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Wow what is going on with you? You can't seem to discuss anything without attacking people. You should probably find a new hobby.
Who is attacking you personally? I said your IDEA is completely idiotic (which it is), not any individual, you or otherwise. Do you know the difference?

Here's what you posted:

Quote:
That's a tough one. Maybe you should spend the $1600 on a van and the two of you can live in that for awhile?
That idea is ridiculous because it's dangerous, and in many cities, outright illegal.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
That's ridiculously stupid, especially with a 15 year old daughter.
You meant Child. She has a 15 year old Child and has never revealed whether it's a boy or a girl.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I never said she should live in a parking lot, did I? Personally, even with a kid I would rather have very little money and a running vehicle than $1600 no transportation and no where to live.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You meant Child. She has a 15 year old Child and has never revealed whether it's a boy or a girl.
Either way, living in a van in some parking lot is such a terrible idea. I don't get the advice people give out sometimes.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I never said she should live in a parking lot, did I? Personally, even with a kid I would rather have very little money and a running vehicle than $1600 no transportation and no where to live.
Whether it's a parking lot or a spot by the river, it's such a terrible idea. Have you ever lived in a van? Do you even know the legality of it in various jurisdictions in the bay area? Do you even know if it's legal in San Francisco?

Yet here you are giving advice to someone about how that's a plausible idea. Maybe you should do some research before you throw out gems like that next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland