Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM

400 posts, read 449,296 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My wife has a potential job in Sacramento. I work in the Civic Center area of SF so we are trying to find a compromise city in between.

We were looking at Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill v. Benicia as potential places. I only have to commute 3 days a week (and can commute off hours plus have a transit subsidy) and she is commuting 3-4 days depending. Either way we will have to pay a toll going over the bridges. We don't have any children (yet) so schools are not a concern at this point. We do have a dog though and would like a dog friendly place. We also make trips to her parents in the Stockton area 1-2x per month.

I CANNOT stand the heat (even Alameda at certain times is too hot for me) so judging by the weather index both places would need A/C. Is that standard for both the areas? We both really like the fog/overcast days which it looks like neither city has.

Looking essentially for whichever of the 2 places is most similar to Alameda (walkable downtown with bars/breweries, restaurants, parks, coffee houses, and movie theaters) that is safe.

Looking for a 2+ bedroom with a small yard for the dog with a budget of up to $3,000 per month.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Have you checked the drive times for both locations, for both commutes, online? Have you checked Craigslist for both locations, to see which is more affordable?

I have friends in Benicia, and they don't need A/C. On weekends, they open windows and the back patio door to let breezes through. I can't handle heat, and their place doesn't get uncomfortable. It's also in a part of town that catches the cool breezes from the Carquinez Straight. Walnut Creek, on the other hand, requires AC in most houses.

Some people say the oil refinery outside of Benicia is an issue. YMMV. There's really something to be said for being in a city on the water. Many things to be said, in fact--all of them good.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-21-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Definitely go with Benicia if heat is an issue, ,even then it will still be much warmer than Alameda. Commute into the city will be longer and more difficult though versus a one-seat ride from WC/PH.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Benicia is a very nice town, it's a safe relatively affordable area with a great climate. You can check commute times on google maps. Another option would be Martinez.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM

400 posts, read 449,296 times
Yeah I've checked commute times from either. For my wife, it's about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. For me it's about an 55 minutes (WC/PH) to 72 minutes (Benicia). But only commuting 3 days a week isn't that bad.

COL is definitely less in Benicia (I assuming because of having to cross a toll bridge and no public transportation compared to WC.).

I know Benicia may be "cooler" than WC but A/C is a must for either spot. I start sweating when it gets to 75 outside Would love to live up near Tahoe but that's not a reality at this stage of the game!

Does Benicia having a sailing culture like Alameda? Are there parks/hiking near either? I saw the "Lime Open Space" driving near WC last weekend but it didn't really seem park like with trees.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:41 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Yeah I've checked commute times from either. For my wife, it's about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. For me it's about an 55 minutes (WC/PH) to 72 minutes (Benicia). But only commuting 3 days a week isn't that bad.

COL is definitely less in Benicia (I assuming because of having to cross a toll bridge and no public transportation compared to WC.).

I know Benicia may be "cooler" than WC but A/C is a must for either spot. I start sweating when it gets to 75 outside Would love to live up near Tahoe but that's not a reality at this stage of the game!

Does Benicia having a sailing culture like Alameda? Are there parks/hiking near either? I saw the "Lime Open Space" driving near WC last weekend but it didn't really seem park like with trees.

Thanks!
For open space there is the Benicia State Recreation Area

There is an active Yacht Club Benicia Yacht ClubSailboat Racing - Benicia Yacht Club

And a pretty cool marina http://www.beniciamarina.net/

I know a lot of people who live in Benicia and I've never heard one of them express regret about living there

And even if you don't consider living in Martinez, the Martinez Regional shoreline is a quick ride from Benicia
Radke Martinez Regional Shoreline

Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 PM

522 posts, read 736,868 times
You could try Vallejo. There's a ferry that goes directly to San Francisco and it's only an hour drive to Sacramento. The housing in the area is cheap because the city has a bad reputation, but other than a few neighborhoods like The Crest (the area directly above Six Flag) and South Vallejo (the area directly south of Curtola Parkway) it's not too bad.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 PM

522 posts, read 736,868 times
https://www.trulia.com/property/1084...llejo-CA-94590

Charming Victorians for cheap.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
I recommend Walnut Creek (nicest location, with direct BART train service to San Francisco) or Martinez (nice location, with direct Capitol Corridor train service to Sacramento--your wife won't need to drive across the bridge). I recommend living near one of the train stations or the other, to minimize driving, and to have access to all the amenities.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
SF commuters living in Benicia go to Concord and take BART from there. There may even be commuter bus service between Benicia and Concord BART, I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland