Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 09:57 PM

814 posts, read 759,593 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused and curious as to how far out SF goes. Not the bay area or Oakland, I understand that. I mean San Fran itself. When people say going in town, I think of the downtown area. It's a big downtown, maybe like two of downtown L.A. it's not even the size of a big district.

I look at this board and search San Francisco population. I get two numbers over 800,000. I know that many can't live in the downtown area. I'm asking how far out San Francisco go, the city itself, where the address reads San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
If I'm not mistaken the actual city is roughly 7 miles by 7 miles

Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 AM

339 posts, read 515,815 times
Um, google? Wikipedia? Your question can be answered easily by a map.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
San Francisco is 49 square miles.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
I'm a little confused and curious as to how far out SF goes. Not the bay area or Oakland, I understand that. I mean San Fran itself. When people say going in town, I think of the downtown area. It's a big downtown, maybe like two of downtown L.A. it's not even the size of a big district.

I look at this board and search San Francisco population. I get two numbers over 800,000. I know that many can't live in the downtown area. I'm asking how far out San Francisco go, the city itself, where the address reads San Francisco?
You could easily Google this yourself. But yes, the city of SF (which is a consolidated city/county), is only about 49 square miles and has around 865,000-ish people within its city limits. When people use the term "The City", they're typically referring to the entire city, not just the downtown area.

San Jose is by far the biggest city in the Bay Area, covering about 175 square miles and has over a million people. There are also other cities in the Bay Area that cover more land area than SF. Oakland does too. Even Fremont (4th largest Bay Area city by population) covers around twice as much land area as SF does.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM

I remember it looking very suburban outside downtown. Houses built on hills that you can see from the street. Strip malls with parking lots. Same thing with Oakland there are a couple areas you can get out and stroll, shop or bar hop, but most of it car orientated.

I'm just trying to make sense of these threads. Which city is more walkable? Are people just talking about trendy areas, where bars and train stops are literally walking distance?

Old 04-06-2018, 01:32 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
I remember it looking very suburban outside downtown. Houses built on hills that you can see from the street. Strip malls with parking lots. Same thing with Oakland there are a couple areas you can get out and stroll, shop or bar hop, but most of it car orientated.

I'm just trying to make sense of these threads. Which city is more walkable? Are people just talking about trendy areas, where bars and train stops are literally walking distance?
I've never considered any part of SF to have a suburban feel to it. I'm assuming you were in a different city maybe? Many people who aren't from the Bay Area use the term "San Francisco" when referring to other places in the region. People who are locals typically recognize SF as a separate entity. Anywhere else is "Bay Area". "Strip malls with parking lots" is the last thing I think of when I think of San Francisco.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
The main city is 46 sq. miles. It's 49 if you add Treasure Island, Alcatraz Island, etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

The last thing anyone would call SF is "suburban". Most European visitors say it's very European, meaning--no side yards, houses jammed up against each other, interspersed with apartment buildings.

By "walkable", people are referring to neighborhoods, where grocery, pharmacy, transit and other basic needs are within walking distance. That describes nearly all of SF, unlike some other cities. Berkeley and Oakland also have quite a few walkable neighborhoods; Oakland has many more than just "a couple".

Also, OP, I can't imagine what you're referring to, when you say SF has a big downtown, twice the size of downtown LA. SF has a very compact downtown. It sounds like you're relatively new to the area, or have only visited a few times, and aren't familiar with all the neighborhood divisions, in SF and Oakland, both. SF and parts of Oakland are fun cities to explore.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Well I've been to east bay more than few times for work and I have family near Santa Rosa. I've rode the BART in town from Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland