Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
We do, to some extent, it's called voting, but unfortunately in CA the choices are limited and politicians rarely do half of what they promise during campaign season.

You mean fight against corruption? In CA?! Good luck with that. BART can misallocate like nobody's business and cry for more money to "fix" the problem and the voters here will actually give it to them.
Do you realize that people become the most angry and fed up when they find themselves in a situation where they have no power to make changes? Which is why it makes sense that the person you are quoting is" starting to hate the U.S. with a passion".
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Ok? Bye then.
Instead of this response to people who find themselves in a state where their voice has a right to be heard...but it's not being heard, why not instead off up ideas on how to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
On the issue I brought up about why citizens are not given a chance to impact whatever is going on - the response was a glib "you get to vote." Never once have I seen any grassroots, real day-to-day stuff on a ballot about tents, toilets, or garbage cans. Please direct me to where I can vote on these items.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This one issue could be solved with trash cans every 25 feet or whatever. It's not that hard.
This is not going to solve the issue. There are trash cans near most homeless sites. I have even dropped off hefty lawn garbage bags to one site near me and the homeless did not use it to throw away their garbage.

Quote:
On the restroom issue: Yes, build them and "man" them with armed guards (lol - just kidding, kind of). Do "man" them (pay someone $10 per hour to deter people from doing bad things in them).

On that note: Hire some of the homeless people to clean up the city! Pay them $10 per hour to do so, and pay them daily. I think this was being done at one time, right?
And who's going to supervise the homeless watch guards? What are they supposed to do if another homeless uses the bathroom to shoot up drugs or human traffic or if it's used for prostitution? Are they going to be trained to arrest these folks? What exactly do you think they are going to do when they encounter these situations in a city where the police don't police?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Train them in karate.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Train them in karate.
That won't work if the perpetrator or perpetrators are carrying weapons or wielding an HIV infected needle.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That won't work if the perpetrator or perpetrators are carrying weapons or wielding an HIV infected needle.
Sure it will. They can kick the weapons/needles out of their hands.

On second thought: Weapons? How many homeless people are armed? That's kind of ridiculous.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
California liberalism is not even as close to being as good as Sweden and Norway. California is a great place if you are super rich nothing more. California is a great state of for me being in health care because I am wealthy I am not sure it is so great for a working class family.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Sure it will. They can kick the weapons/needles out of their hands.
Sure who the heck is willing to kick in the direction of a used needle.

Here's a friendly service reminder from the SFPD: Public Interaction with the Homeless
Quote:
On second thought: Weapons? How many homeless people are armed? That's kind of ridiculous.
WOW you have no clue about the homeless if you truly think they have no weapons. Anyone living on the street has some sort of weapon. If you are not aware of this then it tells me you have a lot to learn.

Officials: Homeless man armed with knives, scissors at airport

Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
California liberalism is not even as close to being as good as Sweden and Norway.
True but do you know the tax rates people pay in Sweden and Norway?

How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending

Also you don't see people behaving in those countries the way you see the homeless behaving in CA. You won't find the filth you see in SF in Sweden or Norway.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Man Suspected of Threatening SF Shooting Rampage Says He Was Moments Away From Drawing His Guns

Quote:
Dustin Hamilton, sitting in San Francisco County Jail, told NBC Bay Area he was angered after being forcibly removed from a homeless encampment along the Embarcadero. And he was moments away from opening fire on officers.
nobodysbusiness you have a lot to learn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland