Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:16 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygg View Post
Is CEA earthquake insurance a reasonable option for risk mitigation? Will they go insolvent?
I doubt they would go insolvent right away, and it only seems fair to me that people who have insurance should get help and money well before anyone who does not have earthquake insurance. That's one reason I have earthquake insurance on my house. Even if it won't cover everything, I do expect to go the head of the line in getting assistance financially.

More recently there has been discussion about liquefaction all over the Bay Area, and to be honest, I don't know if/how much coverage for liquefaction I have. I am expecting my annual bill to arrive soon, so I'll look into it then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I live in the North Bay. I have never accepted a house built on fill, and we have always taken reasonable precautions and prepared as well as we could. Having the structural soundness of your house checked is a good start (with "hardening" done, if needed.)

Right now, my neighborhood is participating in "Get Ready Marin", which includes planning for evacuations in the event of fires, floods, etc., as well as preparedness for earthquakes. We have street captains who have the information that the fire department would need during an evacuation or fire (like how many people live in each house, anyone who would need help with evacuation, etc.) We are having a training next week in turning off gas supply, water mains, using fire extinguishers, etc. We have already had a program on making a "go bag," storing food, water and necessities to shelter in place without outside help for a week, and emergency kits to keep in the trunk of your car. The whole valley I live in will have an evacuation drill next month.

It's sort of a lot, but I figure that once it's done, and there isn't much upkeep, and at least you have a knowledge base. The other thing is updating your insurance, but people have mentioned that already.

We were quite close to all of the fires in Santa Rosa last fall; I think it woke up a lot of people about being prepared, no matter where you live.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 PM

758 posts, read 551,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It's sort of a lot, but I figure that once it's done, and there isn't much upkeep, and at least you have a knowledge base. The other thing is updating your insurance, but people have mentioned that already.
Kudos to you for getting active! And my condolences on the proximity to the fires.

I just wanted to note that there is actually a bit of upkeep. New products for first aid come out, and the products have to be stocked and people need to learn how to use them. New knowledge, gleaned from some other quake, means we need to make a change in how we've retrofit houses--this occurs on a regular basis. New people move into the neighborhood, and need to be brought up to speed. Old people move out, taking knowledge with them and leaving holes in the responsiveness; those need to be patched. And so on.

Preparedness is not a one-and-done deal. It is a way of life . . . and it is one I share.

Congrats on getting started!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Kudos to you for getting active! And my condolences on the proximity to the fires.

I just wanted to note that there is actually a bit of upkeep. New products for first aid come out, and the products have to be stocked and people need to learn how to use them. New knowledge, gleaned from some other quake, means we need to make a change in how we've retrofit houses--this occurs on a regular basis. New people move into the neighborhood, and need to be brought up to speed. Old people move out, taking knowledge with them and leaving holes in the responsiveness; those need to be patched. And so on.

Preparedness is not a one-and-done deal. It is a way of life . . . and it is one I share.

Congrats on getting started!
You are, of course, right. In addition, stored food has to be rotated. I have tried to split the difference on this by putting in my "kit" some food that needs to be replaced/rotated and some of those 5 year emergency bars. We are trying to get people in our neighborhood/developments up to speed, but of course, that has to be renewed periodically. There is really nothing that is free of all maintenance or upkeep. But if you have done it once, at least you are familiar with all the things to keep updated.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Interesting article: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ic-gamble.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland