Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:58 PM

522 posts, read 737,754 times

Advertisements

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...o-13293754.php

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 PM

830 posts, read 486,919 times
What is your opinion?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 PM

702 posts, read 954,331 times
I really hate articles like these - they put the focus of conversations about gentrification on individuals just living their lives, rather than government and the voters (where it belongs). Instead of writing articles about "how to be a nice gentrifier," they should write articles about "how to get Palo Alto and Mountain View to build tall buildings." People don't seem to understand that the "battleground" isn't neighborhoods currently undergoing gentrification, it's wealthy places with high housing demand that refuse to allow tall/dense housing construction.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
Yeah, ketch89 hit the nail on the head. I recently moved from an apartment in Berkeley to a house in Richmond. Does that make me a gentrifier? What if it's because I can't afford to live in Marin, which is where I work? I found the slideshow ("article" is too generous) to be vapid clickbait rather than an informed piece. The content of the slideshow corresponds to the very PC/progressive streak in local politics at the moment, where much of it is just hate (justified or unjustified) of white people and nothing more than that.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,845 times
What I disagree with is the unspoken premise of the article that gentrification is bad. Gentrification is almost in its entirety a good thing. The opposite of gentrification is decline, economic and social. Many places would kill to have these kind of problems. Ed Lee's biggest gift to San Francisco - bringing Twitter, Uber and a few other companies to mid-Market - is exactly that, gentrification. Even though I see it very much as a positive thing, gentrification does create some challenges. This is a classic problem of what to do with those who cannot cope with an economic expansion by themselves. The problem with gentrification is the absence of a safety net for those who are negatively affected by it. The answer is some kind of re-distribution, whether through taxation in the general case, or subsidized housing in the case of gentrification, but politically this is a very difficult proposition. On one hand those who have to contribute tend to oppose it because they will have to pay one way or another. On the other hand, those who need support are viewed as second class citizens and can easily feel that whatever is given to them is not enough and they deserve more. Solving this conundrum requires a balanced approach and a lot of political capital, and is certainly not helped by an article such as this.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
What I disagree with is the unspoken premise of the article that gentrification is bad. Gentrification is almost in its entirety a good thing. The opposite of gentrification is decline, economic and social. Many places would kill to have these kind of problems. Ed Lee's biggest gift to San Francisco - bringing Twitter, Uber and a few other companies to mid-Market - is exactly that, gentrification. Even though I see it very much as a positive thing, gentrification does create some challenges. This is a classic problem of what to do with those who cannot cope with an economic expansion by themselves. The problem with gentrification is the absence of a safety net for those who are negatively affected by it. The answer is some kind of re-distribution, whether through taxation in the general case, or subsidized housing in the case of gentrification, but politically this is a very difficult proposition. On one hand those who have to contribute tend to oppose it because they will have to pay one way or another. On the other hand, those who need support are viewed as second class citizens and can easily feel that whatever is given to them is not enough and they deserve more. Solving this conundrum requires a balanced approach and a lot of political capital, and is certainly not helped by an article such as this.
Although I don't agree in the least with what you're suggesting, I should remind you that Ed Lee and the Board of Supervisors did exactly the opposite to get Twitter and the like to open shop in San Francisco (they gave them tax breaks).

Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
The problem isn’t “gentrification” it is displacement. Esoecially when gentrification and displacement are comnd with purposeful neglect until more affluent people show up and complain.

Think of if you soent all sorts of time waiting for improvements and hipsters show up and things you have been asking for for decades get fixed in a year - and you can’t even live there when it gets fixed up.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:37 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
The only way to slow down gentrification is to build more housing, but even then there’s nothing to prevent all new real estate from being bought up by foreigners as an investment.
However if you go move into a neighborhood and you’re a minority there, it’s usually best to go with the flow. A big complaint long time residents have in a gentrifying neighborhood is having the cops or landlord called on them by newbies for doing things they’ve done for years.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 PM

702 posts, read 954,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem isn’t “gentrification” it is displacement. Esoecially when gentrification and displacement are comnd with purposeful neglect until more affluent people show up and complain.

Think of if you soent all sorts of time waiting for improvements and hipsters show up and things you have been asking for for decades get fixed in a year - and you can’t even live there when it gets fixed up.

Exactly, thanks jade. To further clarify for peninsular- neighborhood change isn't in and of itself a "morally terrible" thing, but it's a symptom of a larger problem: not enough housing compared to how many jobs we have. Person A buys in Oakland because they can't afford San Francisco. Person B leaves Oakland and moves to Antioch/Tracy/Fairfield/Gilroy because their rent is too high. Migration to outlying areas causes development of farmland/open space, and greatly increases traffic because outlying areas are car-dependent. You don't have to care about poor people to be against gentrification - we need condo towers in cities like Palo Alto to prevent traffic gridlock regionally.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Although I don't agree in the least with what you're suggesting, I should remind you that Ed Lee and the Board of Supervisors did exactly the opposite to get Twitter and the like to open shop in San Francisco (they gave them tax breaks).

I don't quite understand what you mean by "the opposite", perhaps the opposite of a gift is a tax break? Yes, those companies got a tax break, which ended up being a very positive thing for the city. While the gift is in fact gentrification in the area that has been depressed for a very long time.

Last edited by peninsular; 10-17-2018 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland