Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 12:44 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I have yet to see avocado toast offered anywhere. What places sell this? I love avocados.

Seriously? Pretty much any hipster or yuppie neighborhood cafe serves it nowadays. I’ve seen it as high as $9 in the city, with nothing other than avocado on it. I’d assume that if you want egg itl cost a few dollars extra, but to be honest I try to avoid those types of places. Too pretentious for me, and lots of better places to spend my money. Sadly, at this point, there are no regular places left in my neighborhood. The minimum wage hike and gentrification killed them all. Only the upscale spots can compete nowadays where I live, leaving things a bit sterile and fake for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 06:20 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I have never heard of avocado toast either.
The pic did look good though.
8 bucks seems fair.

Back to topic.

I don’t think you can comfortably live on the Peninsula unless you have bank.
400k per year and 1 or 2 million in worth doesn’t give you a decent buy in ticket.

Piedmont, Montclair, Berkeley Hills are fantastic and might work.
Alamo, Orinda, Lafayette, Danville might work but as I mentioned earlier you need to spend a few million dollars for good comfort.
Every area in these mentioned places have stuff in the 1M range but it is just “stuff”.

Fremont is just like Dublin but closer to the ugly.
I could never live there.
Yes they have a couple decent house tracks but they also have that “unsafe feeling” downtown.
I can say the same for Albany because I actually have lived there.

From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like you can afford to live nice on the Peninsula.
So where are you going to draw the line?
What can you afford that is important to you?

400k (I think that’s what you said) is a respectable wage but if you don’t have a about 3/4 as a down payment you will be limited.

Danville works for me.
Schools are top notch.
I’ve coached sports here for over a half dozen years raising my kids.
It is mainly white but there are a bunch different colors and backgrounds here and they all get along.
I think driving to the City from Danville is actually less time than Fremont, or damn near.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:51 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Are you still living in Atlanta? First Watch has it.
Yes. Thanks I'll check it.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:24 PM

133 posts, read 203,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you want a 2,500 sq ft house and don't want to spend more than $1.2 million not sure why anyone is recommending the Peninsula; most SFH there are like $1,000 per sq ft+, its incredibly overpriced for what it is.

Walnut Creek, Orinda, or Lafayette are good options and close to BART. Danville is nice too but farther from BART. San Ramon is pretty meh; very cookie cutter and no downtown or BART.

If you want "warm" weather, like 80's+ during summer you probably want to be in a valley. Places like Albany, Alameda, Piedmont, etc..are much cooler in summer.
Thanks for reply.

Isn't Orinda and Lafayette $$$?

I feel like Walnut Creek is hitting my check boxes, with cost, commute, diversity and weather....

Fremont/Union City hits my boxes of close to airport and cost, but its not getting good reviews on this thread!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Have you considered Dublin or Pleasanton?
I actually haven't.

How does this compare to WC/Danville/Orinda in terms of cost, diversity?

Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I have never heard of avocado toast either.
The pic did look good though.
8 bucks seems fair.

Back to topic.

I don’t think you can comfortably live on the Peninsula unless you have bank.
400k per year and 1 or 2 million in worth doesn’t give you a decent buy in ticket.

Piedmont, Montclair, Berkeley Hills are fantastic and might work.
Alamo, Orinda, Lafayette, Danville might work but as I mentioned earlier you need to spend a few million dollars for good comfort.
Every area in these mentioned places have stuff in the 1M range but it is just “stuff”.

Yes they have a couple decent house tracks but they also have that “unsafe feeling” downtown.
I can say the same for Albany because I actually have lived there.

From what I’ve read it doesn’t seem like you can afford to live nice on the Peninsula.
So where are you going to draw the line?
What can you afford that is important to you?

400k (I think that’s what you said) is a respectable wage but if you don’t have a about 3/4 as a down payment you will be limited.

Danville works for me.
Schools are top notch.
I’ve coached sports here for over a half dozen years raising my kids.
It is mainly white but there are a bunch different colors and backgrounds here and they all get along.
I think driving to the City from Danville is actually less time than Fremont, or damn near.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the very informative, helpful reply.

In terms of those suburbs on the 680, ranking with regards to $$? Is it Lafayette>Danvile>Orinda>Alamo? Although I feel like I can't afford any of these, since I'm looking at around 800-1M for a 3 bdr townhouse (this will be my "starter home"). I feel nauseous thinking of spending >1 M on a starter..but yes, I realize this is the Bay Area...

I like the idea and cost of Piedmont/Alameda/Albany. I feel this hits most of my check boxes too. Only issue is its a bit colder.

Which I guess is why I keep coming back to Walnut Creek. lol.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
If by chance you can get a nice place located in southern end of Walnut Creek like in the Rudgear road area you will check all your boxes and be “ticked pink” .
And BART isn’t far away .
Really a nice area with lovely weather.
You should google earth that area.
I recommend it.
It’s not cheap but it is a gem without the Lamorinda or the Danville/Alamo price tag or the trash that comes with living near 880.
Very nice larger older homes good sized yards where kids can play on the street.
Very good schools.
The Tice Valley Road area is awesome so is the eastern side of 680 at Rudgear road.
This area is a sound investment with about a 1M +/- buy in for very nice living.
I could definitely live there and I’m kinda picky.
Areas like Hill Top Court, Panamera Road and the areas between Walnut Creek and Lafayette are also awesome.
Good luck to you.
Andy.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz2014 View Post
Thanks for the very informative, helpful reply.

In terms of those suburbs on the 680, ranking with regards to $$? Is it Lafayette>Danvile>Orinda>Alamo? Although I feel like I can't afford any of these, since I'm looking at around 800-1M for a 3 bdr townhouse (this will be my "starter home"). I feel nauseous thinking of spending >1 M on a starter..but yes, I realize this is the Bay Area...

I like the idea and cost of Piedmont/Alameda/Albany. I feel this hits most of my check boxes too. Only issue is its a bit colder.

Which I guess is why I keep coming back to Walnut Creek. lol.
I think it's Orinda>Lafayette>Alamo>Danville when you look at prices per sq ft. Orinda is closest to SF and has a BART station so I think that adds a bit of a premium and to a slightly less extend Lafayette.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

Uh, Fremont doesn't really have a downtown, because it's an amalgamation of several small towns (Centerville, Irvington, Warm Springs, Mission San Jose, Decoto, Niles). So it's just sprawl. But it's pretty safe overall.

That said, Fremont is better situated if your orientation is towards Silicon Valley. If much of one's activity and job location is around SF, better to look northward or on the Peninsula (assuming your budget can handle it).

Old 01-28-2020, 01:27 PM

197 posts, read 667,608 times
I don't think of Fremont as having a downtown at all. It is a suburban layout with huge streets aside from Niles. It really depends on which district as mentioned above. Also agree there is no reason to consider Fremont unless you are linked to Silicon Valley.

I think you'd be happy with Walnut Creek, Alameda, or Albany. They are different though so it comes down to preference.

Walnut Creek clearly has a downtown that is walkable. Drawback is that it is farther away. Newer and more suburban.

Alameda/Albany are both very nice and closer to the urban core. Both have very walkable areas if not technically a "downtown" - Park St and Webster St in Alameda; Solano Ave in Albany. The good is you are closer to the urban core, the bad is that you are closer to the negatives of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland