Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was recently in San Francisco, and I was driving a rental car (bad idea having a car in the city... I know.) Anyway, I was parked in meter parking one day on Pacific Ave, near Grant, while at a friend's house. I went out every two hours to feed the meter. To my surprise, I come back and there was a parking ticket on my wind shield. It was for not turning my wheels in towards the curb on a grade steeper than 3%. I'm sure some of you have had the pleasure of getting one of these tickets as well..

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that this was even a ticket-able offense. If I had known, I obviously would have done so to avoid getting the ticket. There was no signage saying to do so, nor is this a common offense in any other city I've been to. In discussion with friends who have heard of this, they say that the city's defense is "it's on the driving test, so you should know to do it." I am licensed in another state (Hawaii). On top of the $60, the rental car company charged me $40 too, so I'm in $100 for not turning my wheels. Do I have any chance at fighting this ticket? Has anyone successfully battled one of these before? I'll be back in SF in three weeks and will not be renting a car this time.. too much of a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I grew up across the Bay and I remember this being a big part of our driver's ed. A runaway car in SF is serious business.

You could try fighting it. I read a law was recently passed that they can't make you post bail first in order to fight a ticket, like they were doing. Last time I got a ticket, one of the options was to have the judge review your case without having to actually show up in court. So, you'll just have to look at the options they give you and decide what's worth it to you.

I also had the option to take an online traffic school course, which kept the ticket off my DMV record, and so my insurance company was none the wiser, so my insurance didn't go up. Cost me around $75 total to take that option. Around $50 for their administrative fee, and another $12 or so for the online test. Plus, I paid the fine. Cost me around $300 total for an unsafe left hand turn.

Anyway, see what your options are and make your decision. I chose to just pay my dues, as I was driving fairly recklessly, and the cop actually wrote my ticket up for less than he could have. Some drunk on Labor Day was driving about 15 mph, and I got frustrated and whipped around him. Wouldn't you know there was a motorcycle cop two cars behind me LOL. Woops.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
If I felt like I actually did something wrong, I would have no issues paying the ticket. I drove the speed limit, I fed the meter, as far as I knew, I was doing everything right. My car was in park, and I had the emergency brake on. I do realize that turning your wheels into a curb is a law in San Francisco, I therefore broke the law, but if it is a ticket-worthy offense then there should be signs notifying drivers, especially for those who are not from the area and would have no way of knowing about this.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
your supposed to know about this from Driver's Ed, it doesnt matter what city, the same thing can happen in Hawaii

it's a basic knowledge like no parking by a fire hydrant or at least 15 feet away, no parking or stopping in a red zone, no parking in a white zone , only for loading unloading passengers, etc

not knowing about curbing your wheels is your fault, it's a common sense law to always turn your wheels while parking on a unlevel street or hill.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
If I felt like I actually did something wrong, I would have no issues paying the ticket. I drove the speed limit, I fed the meter, as far as I knew, I was doing everything right. My car was in park, and I had the emergency brake on. I do realize that turning your wheels into a curb is a law in San Francisco, I therefore broke the law, but if it is a ticket-worthy offense then there should be signs notifying drivers, especially for those who are not from the area and would have no way of knowing about this.
Yes, you broke a law, which is a huge safety issue in SF.

Aren't there safety issues in Hawaii that tourists also fail at there? Are there signs every 20 feet on the beach warning about rip tides or sharks or whatever?

I know when I lived in WA state at the base of a mountain, we'd shake our heads about how tourists would climb the mountain without any safety gear or proper clothing, etc., which could result in emergency crews having to go save them, if they could even find them, if they hadn't bothered to register their plans with the ranger station. And anyone who took the time to learn anything, would learn that the weather on the mountain can turn dangerous in a heartbeat.

There is a little responsibility on the shoulders of the tourist to an area, to learn about what the laws or rules are. You can't put signs up everywhere or make people read them. Some responsibility has to be on the visitor/tourist to investigate the laws/rules.

Emergency brakes can fail. If the wheels are turned into the curb, that won't matter.

In the woods, the tourists who cause tens of thousands of dollars in resources to be spent to go save them, often get the bill. So, you got a ticket for not knowing the law. You won't do it again and here you are educating future tourists. Maybe this will save a lot of damage in the future or even some lives. And the ticket is a lot cheaper than a runaway car.

The law is there for a reason - cars have gotten away from their owners down hills and damaged property or hurt/killed people.

And as they say, ignorance of a law is no defense.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:32 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
Quote:
Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that this was even a ticket-able offense.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Yep, you can't expect the city to post every law that a visitor might not know on the street, there wouldn't be enough sidewalk room for all the signs. Turning the wheels is common world-wide, giving tickets not so much, but knowing that you are supposed to turn your wheels isn't just a San Francisco thing.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Yet another nanny state law that's only there so that govt. can take your money. As far as I know, it's impossible for a modern car to just roll down the hill when the transmission is in park and parking brakes applied.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I was recently in San Francisco, and I was driving a rental car (bad idea having a car in the city... I know.) Anyway, I was parked in meter parking one day on Pacific Ave, near Grant, while at a friend's house. I went out every two hours to feed the meter. To my surprise, I come back and there was a parking ticket on my wind shield. It was for not turning my wheels in towards the curb on a grade steeper than 3%. I'm sure some of you have had the pleasure of getting one of these tickets as well..

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that this was even a ticket-able offense. If I had known, I obviously would have done so to avoid getting the ticket. There was no signage saying to do so, nor is this a common offense in any other city I've been to. In discussion with friends who have heard of this, they say that the city's defense is "it's on the driving test, so you should know to do it." I am licensed in another state (Hawaii). On top of the $60, the rental car company charged me $40 too, so I'm in $100 for not turning my wheels. Do I have any chance at fighting this ticket? Has anyone successfully battled one of these before? I'll be back in SF in three weeks and will not be renting a car this time.. too much of a hassle.

That particular item was taught in drivers education class when I was in it in 1975 - 1976 so this is not a "new" thing for parking your vehicle and if one knows the rules of the road they would not need a "sign" they more than likely would not read to advise them to park legally.

You should just pay the ticket and remember the lesson but if you think you absolutely need to fight a ticket that is valid go right ahead.
Ignorance of the rules of the road is not generally a valid reason to void a ticket to the courts, especially when those rules of the road have not changed much in many years.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that this was even a ticket-able offense. If I had known, I obviously would have done so to avoid getting the ticket. There was no signage saying to do so, nor is this a common offense in any other city I've been to.
You should have read your Hawaii drivers manual. Page 71 in the Hawaii dmv manual:

"If you park downhill, with or without a curb, turn your front wheels to the right
(A). If you face uphill, with a curb, turn your front wheels away from the curb (B). If
there is no curb, turn your front wheels toward the edge of the road (C)."

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...6.2015-lrc.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland