Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:57 AM

653 posts, read 464,340 times

Advertisements

The area around Fisherman's Wharf and the parks around the Marina (including Fort Mason) leading to the bridge are not only fine and safe, they are beautiful--some of the most incredible urban scenery these kids will ever see in their lifetimes.

You will have a great time and likely chuckle to yourself when you actually get to SF and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 01:05 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
The problems in SF that are overhyped by right-wing media tend to be concentrated in the Tenderloin. Don't get me wrong, it's a problem area and there are other issues around SF, but you'll be in a "normal" part of the City. I would be more concerned about making sure all the kids bring their jackets with them.

As for transport, Muni's 28 bus line runs from Van Ness & North Point down Lombard Street to the GGB. It is "normal" too and your main issue will be cramming 40 people onto a bus. I recommend breaking into 2 groups if you take it, as it runs with regular 40' buses. Service is only every 15 minutes, though. Muni is not known for its reliability, so best to check real-time arrivals on your phone using the Transit app.

If you are up for a little adventure, you can walk from the hostel to the GGB, or take Muni's 30 line to Crissy Field and walk the rest of the way. The 30 runs on Chestnut Street (one block closer to the hostel than the 28, which is on Lombard Street) and ends next to the Sports Basement. The 30 is a trolleybus line and has been running with 60' buses lately, and you won't be riding the Chinatown portion of the line, so you shouldn't have issues riding as a single group. The 30 also runs every 15 minutes.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Pre pandemic I would host families visiting California regularly.

Also had a big group out for a wedding.

I wish I could say it was not true but the smash and grab is very much real... both cousins had their car windows broken into and SF PD never responded and this was greater fisherman's wharf...

Several friends visiting from Europe experienced same neat Pier 39, Golden Gate Park and Twin Peaks...

Some had rented mini vans.

It got to the point I would put them on BART.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland