Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:01 PM

47 posts, read 39,847 times

Advertisements

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...aker-says/amp/ How at risk am I from monkey pox if I visit sf this month?? Or next?? I hope I’m able to and be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 03:12 PM

47 posts, read 39,847 times
Default Nearby areas

How safe will areas nearby like San Bruno be??

Old 07-14-2022, 03:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
Provided that you are not having sex with infected men........You should be fine. READ this report from the City of Toronto Department Of Public Health for details. link. https://www.toronto.ca/community-peo...ice/monkeypox/

Old 07-20-2022, 06:49 PM

7,354 posts, read 3,819,045 times
It appears to be primarily spread at homosexual super-spreader events where men have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

Maspalomas Gay Pride 2022 in the Canary Islands. Attendees brought the virus back to Scotland, England, France, Germany, etc.

Daddyland Festival in Dallas, TX. At least one man in Dallas picked up a case at the gay Daddyland Festival.

That's two off the top of my head. Stay away from gay bath houses and ridiculously abandoned sexual practices and you will be okay.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:58 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
It appears to be primarily spread at homosexual super-spreader events where men have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

Maspalomas Gay Pride 2022 in the Canary Islands. Attendees brought the virus back to Scotland, England, France, Germany, etc.

Daddyland Festival in Dallas, TX. At least one man in Dallas picked up a case at the gay Daddyland Festival.

That's two off the top of my head. Stay away from gay bath houses and ridiculously abandoned sexual practices and you will be okay.
What do you mean by "ridiculously abandoned sexual practices"?

By the way - HIV hit the gay community the hardest first but like any disease - it'll find its way to other groups. This disease isn't easily transmitted but it will slowly and insidiously hit other populations. The - it won't happen to us it only happens to them argument, shouldn't give too much solace, if history is any guide.

Old 07-24-2022, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What do you mean by "ridiculously abandoned sexual practices"?

By the way - HIV hit the gay community the hardest first but like any disease - it'll find its way to other groups. This disease isn't easily transmitted but it will slowly and insidiously hit other populations. The - it won't happen to us it only happens to them argument, shouldn't give too much solace, if history is any guide.
"Ridiculously abandoned sexual practices" means just what it says.

Monkeypox is spreading just like HIV: it's affecting homosexuals who have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

The events I mentioned are, in effect, outdoor bathhouses.

Old 07-24-2022, 04:45 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeyp...nsmission.html

https://www.science.org/content/arti...e-sex-with-men

Old 07-24-2022, 06:31 PM

"I got monkeypox and it’s been a total nightmare.

When New York Pride festivities kicked off on 24 June, I was aware that monkeypox was an emerging issue – especially for gay men...

I had sex with several guys over the weekend.

Two days after my symptoms began, the rash started as anorectal lesions – painful sores on my anus and rectum.

The next day I got my STI results: positive for gonorrhoea.

Then my throat started swelling up. My tonsils were covered in white pus. I did a video with someone in my PCP’s office and they said, “I think you should go to the ER.” The ER determined it was bacterial tonsillitis, and they gave me a round of antibiotics.

This whole thing just feels like a huge failure that should not have been allowed to happen, especially not two and half months into the outbreak."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...monkeypox-hell

So, the failure is with the health care system, not with his sexual practices of having every orifice filled by multiple men at a gay pride event.

It's always someone else's fault.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
"Ridiculously abandoned sexual practices" means just what it says.

Monkeypox is spreading just like HIV: it's affecting homosexuals who have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

The events I mentioned are, in effect, outdoor bathhouses.
I still don't get what it says to be honest. Ridiculously abandoned sexual practices. They aren't abandoned if people are engaging in them no?

Fact is, people won't stop having sex. Whether it is with one person or multiple it doesn't change the fact that diseases spread and will always spread through sexual and non-sexual contact. Yes, people can mitigate the impact of this particular disease by limiting sexual partners or abstaining altogether, but it is wishful thinking that people will change their behavior for this. Likely, one of these infected individuals will not just have contact with men who have sex with men, but also with women and you get the picture. It'll only take one case to break a network and likely, new networks will form.

So, just like HIV which ultimately spread worldwide and impacted everyone, not just gay men - it is HIGHLY likely that monkeypox will spread to the larger community unless it is contained early and it isn't looking like containment will be likely given the W.H.O's recent emergency call. Pointing fingers or just marginalizing gays is not going to stop it and isn't helpful. Learning about the disease, having effective prevention and treatment options available, and making informed personal decisions are the best tactics.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/who-m...ttee-1.6530174

Quote:
WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the decision to issue the declaration despite a lack of consensus among members of WHO's emergency committee. It was the first time the chief of the United Nations health agency has taken such an action.

"We have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly through new modes of transmission about which we understand too little and which meets the criteria in the international health regulations," Tedros said.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-24-2022 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 10:33 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
"I got monkeypox and it’s been a total nightmare.

When New York Pride festivities kicked off on 24 June, I was aware that monkeypox was an emerging issue – especially for gay men...

I had sex with several guys over the weekend.

Two days after my symptoms began, the rash started as anorectal lesions – painful sores on my anus and rectum.

The next day I got my STI results: positive for gonorrhoea.

Then my throat started swelling up. My tonsils were covered in white pus. I did a video with someone in my PCP’s office and they said, “I think you should go to the ER.” The ER determined it was bacterial tonsillitis, and they gave me a round of antibiotics.

This whole thing just feels like a huge failure that should not have been allowed to happen, especially not two and half months into the outbreak."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...monkeypox-hell

So, the failure is with the health care system, not with his sexual practices of having every orifice filled by multiple men at a gay pride event.

It's always someone else's fault.
When vaccinations are not readily available despite knowing full well that this virus was becoming widespread, then YES, it's the fault of the government/health care systems. There had been very little information coming out about the virus and how it was even transmitted several months ago. I wasn't even aware it was spread sexually until recently.

As for your comment "having every orifice filled by multiple men" comment---one can catch monkeypox even with a single orifice filled by one man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland