Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 04:45 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The negative effects of having unprotected sex with multiple partners have been known for decades. Maybe not in terms of Monkeypox, but for HIV, Herpes, HPV, and gonorrhea, among others. The guy in question got gonorrhea and lesions in his anus, so it's safe to assume he was unprotected. And he admitted to having sex with multiple men at that pride event.

My point is one has to take responsibility for one's actions. You can't blame the health care system for not jumping on a vaccine that was, until recently, used only for health care workers in West Africa.

Don't worry about me. If I come down with a case of Monkeypox, my wife has some explaining to do. lol
You can still catch herpes and a host of other STIs even when condoms/protection is used. Just saying.

Abstinence only education doesn't work for sex, just like it doesn't work for alcohol/recreational drug use. People are going to behave however they're going to behave and instead of shaming people across the board, we should teach them efforts to mitigate/minimize risks (i.e proactive education).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 08:54 AM

7,360 posts, read 3,824,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You can still catch herpes and a host of other STIs even when condoms/protection is used. Just saying.

Abstinence only education doesn't work for sex, just like it doesn't work for alcohol/recreational drug use. People are going to behave however they're going to behave and instead of shaming people across the board, we should teach them efforts to mitigate/minimize risks (i.e proactive education).
The guy in the article I posted is 39. Are you saying he doesn't know how to be careful because he wasn't properly educated about STDs?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:19 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

It's not a choice between abstinence and orgies though. You may not know it but most people are mentally shaming those who make having sex with multiple partners their main hobby. When did having sex outside of marriage become have all the sex you want all the time with all the people in the craziest ways you can think of? Like so many other things, society thought it was doing a good thing, only to have that thing perverted. And everyone has to deal with it whether they like it or not.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:43 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not a choice between abstinence and orgies though. You may not know it but most people are mentally shaming those who make having sex with multiple partners their main hobby. When did having sex outside of marriage become have all the sex you want all the time with all the people in the craziest ways you can think of? Like so many other things, society thought it was doing a good thing, only to have that thing perverted. And everyone has to deal with it whether they like it or not.

I was thinking of posting something similar to what you posted, was just trying decide how to word it. I think you are right, that it is not a choice between abstinence or having a fulfilling sex life.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:29 PM

WHO chief advises reducing sex partners to avoid monkeypox
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 / 09:03 AM PDT
Updated: Jul 27, 2022 / 10:10 AM PDT
https://www.kron4.com/monkeypox/who-...oid-monkeypox/

GENEVA (AP) — The head of the World Health Organization on Wednesday advised men at risk of catching monkeypox to consider reducing their sexual partners “for the moment” following the U.N. health agency declaring the escalating outbreaks in multiple countries to be a global emergency.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said 98% of the monkeypox cases detected since the outbreaks emerged in May have been among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men. He called for those at risk to take steps to protect themselves.

“That means making safe choices for yourself and others, for men who have sex with men,” Tedros said. “This includes, for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners.”

So, the bisexuals will give it to unknowing heterosexuals just like with HIV in the 1980s. Nice.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
So, the bisexuals will give it to unknowing heterosexuals just like with HIV in the 1980s. Nice.

I'm a heterosexual woman, for the record. And if you (meaning ANYONE) are having unprotected sex with someone other than a for-sure-monogamous-partner, you aren't "unknowingly" getting anything. You knowingly took that chance, and have no right to be all "surprised Pikachu face" if/when you catch an STI. Just like with HIV, blaming this on teh gays is a dangerous precedent to set.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

I'm a heterosexual woman, for the record. And if you (meaning ANYONE) are having unprotected sex with someone other than a for-sure-monogamous-partner, you aren't "unknowingly" getting anything. You knowingly took that chance, and have no right to be all "surprised Pikachu face" if/when you catch an STI. Just like with HIV, blaming this on teh gays is a dangerous precedent to set.
Monkeypox and HIV are both primarily diseases of the gay community. The head of the WHO said 98% of Monkeypox cases are in the gay community.

That's not to say these diseases are limited to the gay community, just that their sexual practices are such that the diseases took hold in the gay community first. Which kind of makes those diseases diseases of the gay community (for now.)

Old 08-01-2022, 07:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Monkeypox and HIV are both primarily diseases of the gay community. The head of the WHO said 98% of Monkeypox cases are in the gay community.

That's not to say these diseases are limited to the gay community, just that their sexual practices are such that the diseases took hold in the gay community first. Which kind of makes those diseases diseases of the gay community (for now.)
This has nothing to do with my comment.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This has nothing to do with my comment.
It doesn't? In reference to your final statement:

You: "Just like with HIV, blaming this on teh [sic] gays is a dangerous precedent to set."

Me: "That's not to say these diseases are limited to the gay community, just that their sexual practices are such that the diseases took hold in the gay community first. Which kind of makes those diseases diseases of the gay community (for now.)"

You don't see the relationship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland