Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times

Advertisements

Was anyone actually at Candlestick Park when this earthquake struck back in 1989? I was living in Southern California back then as I still do, so I only saw what was covered on television.

What's ironic about the World Series when it comes to this quake is a columnist from the San Jose Mercury News made a comment before the series that "God only knows if they'll even get all the games in. An earthquake could rip through the Bay Area before they sing the anthem for Game 3", and of course Game 3 is when the quake struck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
I wasn't at the ballpark, but know people who were... it was actually 3 days before my 13th birthday, and I was at an ice skating rink (practicing) in Belmont. My mother had just gone to get us dinner, my sister was on the ice, and I was doing homework in the lobby. It started to shake, and the woman sitting with me pulled me under the table - where I crouched in AWE for the duration of the quake. My mother came back a few minutes later with our food, and was like "what's going on??" Apparently her old minivan was so top-heavy, she just thought it was the wind. We did suffer damage at our house, including a fallen chimney & burst pipes, but that's not bad considering it was a 1901 Victorian that survived the '06 quake too. Anyway, that's my memory of the Loma Prieta... would like to hear from somebody who was at the ballpark!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:16 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,362,566 times
I was driving in Millbrae, up Murchison, and my tires began making this clunk-clunk-clunk sound and the radio went out for a second. I initially thought I had a flat tire or some other major car problem. Then I saw people coming out of their homes and knew all was well with my car . I never felt any shaking or anything that would make me think we were having an earthquake.

Got home a few minutes later and found one lamp on the floor (the kitten may have knocked it down), my older cat under the bed blankets hiding, and water on the bathroom floor that splashed out of the toilet.

My friends still at work (near pier 90, SF) said it was terrible. They really felt it there. That's not too far from Candlestick.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:16 PM

866 posts, read 2,629,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Was anyone actually at Candlestick Park when this earthquake struck back in 1989? I was living in Southern California back then as I still do, so I only saw what was covered on television.

What's ironic about the World Series when it comes to this quake is a columnist from the San Jose Mercury News made a comment before the series that "God only knows if they'll even get all the games in. An earthquake could rip through the Bay Area before they sing the anthem for Game 3", and of course Game 3 is when the quake struck.
That is true. The columnist is Kevin Cowherd who now writes for The Baltimore Sun.

Also, YouTube has some video clips from the earthquake.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,310 times
My pregnant cousin, her husband, and their two kids (both under 10) were there. They were really freaked out, but it was mainly my cousin because she was pregnant and her son. He didn't want to get in the car and leave because he was so freaked out. I wasn't born until after it happened but they told me about it last year when I went to watch my cousin's football game at Berkeley. I think they brought it up because I said that I wouldn't want to be in the stadium if an earthquake were to occur. I think there were some more details but I can't remember them. They said that the death toll would have been higher if the game hadn't been on. There would have been more people in traffic or something and more people on the road that collapsed.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.

I'll never forget tuning into that ballgame and finding out what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland