Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM

758 posts, read 2,890,188 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be working out in Alameda for the next 3 weeks and am looking to do some hiking on the weekends. I'm looking for some good mountain hikes to do within about a 3-4 hour drive. I hike quite a bit back in New England and am looking for something in the 5-10 mile round trip range. I want to do a hike with some serious altitude and awesome views. I REALLY want to hit Yosemite and do Half Dome but I had some knee issues earlier this summer and want a good warmup before I tackle it. I did some hiking this weekend up in maine and had no issues at all, and have started playing tennis with no issues, but a 17 mile hike might be a little too much for me without trying a warmup. I know half dome has a reputation as a knee buster too.

Ideally I would do a smaller hike this weekend and if it feels good attempt Half dome the following week. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,846,288 times
It won't give you elevation you are looking for, but nearby Mt. Diablo might be easy on your knees.

Mt. Diablo State Park

Also look at Lassen Peak, in Lassen Volcanic NP. My wife and I hiked that a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Hello, I will be working out in Alameda for the next 3 weeks and am looking to do some hiking on the weekends. I'm looking for some good mountain hikes to do within about a 3-4 hour drive. I hike quite a bit back in New England and am looking for something in the 5-10 mile round trip range. I want to do a hike with some serious altitude and awesome views. I REALLY want to hit Yosemite and do Half Dome but I had some knee issues earlier this summer and want a good warmup before I tackle it. I did some hiking this weekend up in maine and had no issues at all, and have started playing tennis with no issues, but a 17 mile hike might be a little too much for me without trying a warmup. I know half dome has a reputation as a knee buster too.

Ideally I would do a smaller hike this weekend and if it feels good attempt Half dome the following week. Any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post

Well there is muir woods, yosemite, tahoe, big sur, mt tamalpais, mt diablo, mt hamiliton.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Mt Tamalpais in Marin offers breathtaking views.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,590 times
The claim is (and I have no way to know how they prove this) that you can see more square miles of Mother Earth from the top of Mt. Diablo than from any other spot on Earth except Mt. Kilimanjaro. I am assuming that this claim, if true, is only valid on a clear day.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 215,460 times
You should go up to Lake Tahoe. It's just 3-4 hours from here. I was just there this weekend. Hiked Ellis Peak just outside of Tahoe City. It's 6 miles RT (+ 1 extra mile if you hike down to Ellis Lake), starts at an elevation of around 7,500 ft. and goes up to Ellis Peak at 8,700 ft. Awesome views of Lake Tahoe once you get to the peak along with great views down to Donner Lake while on the trail. There's also Mt. Tallac (sp?) at South Lake Tahoe which I think is a longer trail (maybe 10 miles?) and has a 2-3K elevation gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland