Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 AM

172 posts, read 522,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
Also, you must be foreign. This term is not exactly new.
10/10 for observation.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 PM

221 posts, read 484,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
They left out "materialistic", "self-absorbed", "narcissistic" and "phony".
Yes, those are accurate qualities. Other words I would include are "arrogant", "self-centered", "uppity", having a "my fecies don't stink" attitude. And as I said in other posts (that are no longer there), I have no problem with people getting a good education, working a high powered job, and making tons of money. It's when they think they're better than everyone else because of those things, that the problems arise.

The point is: Get a very good education, get a very good job, make lot's of money if those are the things you really want to do, but don't let it go over your head. Don't start thinking you're better than everybody else and that you're God's gift to the world because you are a "yuppie." And I guess I should emphasize "really want" since alot of people make decisions based on what other people want (parents, teachers, potential mates), instead of following their heart and their true God-given talents, and doing what THEY want to do. Frankly, I think alot (probably most) of the yuppies are living lives that were basically designed for them by their parents, and are probably not happy with their lives at all, which is why they cling on to money and wealth and prestige and social status for their self-worth. The superficial qualities are the only things that actually appeal to them about their careers.

I am kind of speaking from experience. I was influenced (under parental pressure) to go to college and get a degree in Electrical Engineering, which I eventually did (though, it took a couple of years longer than most other full time engineering students--6 years), worked TWO professional engineering-related jobs, and screwed up in both. Now, I'm working on a new, satisfying career that will actually allow me to utilize my true talents and gifts. I guess I came close to going down the same path as the yuppies we're all talking about, but luckily I was able to gain access to some very good self-help books and other resources, and change my life direction. Unfortunately, alot of the people we see in downtown urban areas who are all dressed up in their suits and ties, will never experience true joy and freedom and passion, and will never feel a sense of control over their lives, and that's sad. They will continue to live the safe, cozy, stabled lives that their parents and other adult figures throughout their childhood wanted them to live (sorry for all the pronouns ). They will never be free and experience true happiness that comes from living with integrity and being real. As the bible says, "The truth will set you free."

Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Yuppie = Martini-sipping drone drowning in the purgatory between "Friends" and Gordon Gekko.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
It's a lable people slap on folks they don't like.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a lable people slap on folks they don't like.
...who are thoroughly unlikeable.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM

114 posts, read 121,874 times
I grew up on the southside of town so luckly for me I didnt have to be around that many yuppies, we have a type of hipster variation over here, anyway walk up and down the north end of the van ess corridor and if you see 20 year olds in $100,000 cars youve found them, out of towners with money that come in on their daddys dime or inheritance

Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
I'm a yuppie moving to Silicon Valley. However, I drive a simple, rice-and-beans car that is dependable and not flashy. I have plain clothes and buy them at Goodwill or receive them as gifts at Christmas; I can't remember last time I paid full price for any particle except tennis shoes, and even those were marked down. I spend frugally, cut down on electricity costs substantially, budget grocery money wisely, and use Netflix. I don't have cable. I seldom date unless the "spark" is there.

I do, however, like to take mini-trips to other parts of the country and those can cost some moolah. Oh, and I want to attend a UC and kick a** in my field, but I don't have a "spit on people" personality along the way which many yuppies seemingly embrace. If you met me, you'd like me. Promise.

Plenty of snooty, self-absorbed, personality-devoid yuppies in Kentucky and Ohio; rest assured, it's not just an East Coast, West Coast or Chicago thing. I personally don't even acknowledge them as, and this isn't meant to be arrogant or judgmental (okay, maybe judgmental), I can almost always read them for what they are.

#rambleends

Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Better yuppie than ghetto ...

Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm a yuppie moving to Silicon Valley. However, I drive a simple, rice-and-beans car that is dependable and not flashy. I have plain clothes and buy them at Goodwill or receive them as gifts at Christmas; I can't remember last time I paid full price for any particle except tennis shoes, and even those were marked down. I spend frugally, cut down on electricity costs substantially, budget grocery money wisely, and use Netflix. I don't have cable. I seldom date unless the "spark" is there.

I do, however, like to take mini-trips to other parts of the country and those can cost some moolah. Oh, and I want to attend a UC and kick a** in my field, but I don't have a "spit on people" personality along the way which many yuppies seemingly embrace. If you met me, you'd like me. Promise.
What you describe is not a yuppie. And that is good.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
What you describe is not a yuppie. And that is good.
I appreciate the compliment!

I was just going by the literal definition, young professional. But I see what you mean.

Oh, the funny thing that just crossed my mind: the absolutely most condescending, as well as one of the most argumentative, human beings I've ever met was this one early 20-something "lady" from Cleveland. Cleveland, I tell you; not even God would live in Cleveland. Talk about haughty, and she was "laid off" from her accounting job during the advent of tax season. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland