Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM

254 posts, read 587,450 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I had spent a week there and was amazed, considering a move a year from now.

The biggest advantage is that I have brother that studies a Berkeley so it gives me the opportunity to go out there and explore before I commit to a place.

Where my brother lives is pretty decent, it is located on the same block as the Downtown Berkeley BART stop and very close to commercial activity which is what I am looking for. Very similar to where I live now in the college dense community of Allston.

Other factors aside, I am in my late 20s and single and like to go out clubbing a lot. I enjoyed the SOMA district in terms of nightlife and can imagine hanging out there in the weekends.

In terms of work, I would either be searching for something new or continuing with my current that has an office in San Jose. Since my line of work is in software, I can imagine that whatever I find will be within Silicon Valley.

Given the circumstances, where would it make more sense for me to relocate to? Berkeley seems nice but I am worried about the commute to San Jose. Are there other up and coming hip urban areas for young professionals in the East Bay or Bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
The commute will suck from San Jose. Buuuuuuuuut

you would have a job lined up, a place to stay, and family in the area so you would have company and maybe a social circle you can get into. That's better than 90% of the people who move to california. You might want to check out the lake meritt area of Oakland. Its hip and has young people and is further south so you could avoid that bottle neck on the freeway around the berkeley emeryville border.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:10 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
We've already got 10,000 of you, don't really need anymore

Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 AM

701 posts, read 2,031,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
We've already got 10,000 of you, don't really need anymore
lol...

Check out Pleasanton or Dublin. The towns them self are small, real laid back and wouldn't be clubbing locations however, it puts you at a central location between Berkeley/SF and San Jose and they're right there along the 680 freeway, as you'll see illustrated below.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

313 posts, read 676,893 times
If you like clubbing you should seriously check San Jose, SF is not known as a "party town".

Old 09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
If you like clubbing you should seriously check San Jose, SF is not known as a "party town".
And San Jose is? Seriously man....SF is the "party town" of the Bay Area, if you're gonna name one city as such. For night life, events, and lots of partying, most is going to be in SF, Oakland/Berkeley, and SJ. And seeing as Oakland/Berkeley/SF are all next to each other, and accessible by bus and BART, SJ gets beat in that regard big time (though SJ is no slouch or anything, there's always stuff going on, plenty of clubs, etc).

Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 676,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
And San Jose is? Seriously man....SF is the "party town" of the Bay Area, if you're gonna name one city as such. For night life, events, and lots of partying, most is going to be in SF, Oakland/Berkeley, and SJ. And seeing as Oakland/Berkeley/SF are all next to each other, and accessible by bus and BART, SJ gets beat in that regard big time (though SJ is no slouch or anything, there's always stuff going on, plenty of clubs, etc).
My bad buddy, Where in SF are the HOT spots?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM

254 posts, read 587,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
lol...

Check out Pleasanton or Dublin. The towns them self are small, real laid back and wouldn't be clubbing locations however, it puts you at a central location between Berkeley/SF and San Jose and they're right there along the 680 freeway, as you'll see illustrated below.

That's not what I am looking for. I want to be someplace where I can easily walk out my house and find plenty of bars and restaurants. Where my brother lived was like that, just wondering if something like this exists elsewhere in the Bay area. Also as an aside, I do not get where there is a separate subforum for San Jose when it seems to me like they are in the same metro.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:10 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
sounds to me like NYC or Chicago are the best fit for you.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 PM

701 posts, read 2,031,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
That's not what I am looking for. I want to be someplace where I can easily walk out my house and find plenty of bars and restaurants. Where my brother lived was like that, just wondering if something like this exists elsewhere in the Bay area. Also as an aside, I do not get where there is a separate subforum for San Jose when it seems to me like they are in the same metro.
Not to judge your lifestyle or anything, but are you planning to go out every night or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland