Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
i've been in millbrae every day this week and i can vouch for the downtown area NOT being cool and foggy! it is warm, sunny, and beautiful! millbrae is very nice - great library, park and rec, great schools. it is very asian. i mean seriously asian. downtown has a trader joe's, cafes, restaurants. easy access to caltrain and 101. good 280 access if you are on the hill side. it is quite similar to burlingame, which it borders.
The weather pattern this year is unusual, climatologists think we are in an El Nino year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,124,578 times
Millbrae is extremely small, boring and Asian. The "downtown" is basically a Walgreens, a Safeway, a Marshals, and a few other unremarkable stores. Otherwise, hope you like Chinese restaurants.

Watch out for the camera lights along the freeway exit.

The Weather is basically temperate. The overcast and fog really starts in San Bruno and hits its zenith in Daly City. The schools are good due to the Asian presence.

About the only cultural event that I enjoy is that every year on Halloween a whole bunch of Houses on Taylor boulevard decorate to the max and even create mini haunted houses. You see people of all ages walking up and down enjoying it. It isn't as big as it used to be, but it is still a good show.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:45 AM

371 posts, read 454,893 times
LOL, this thread is from 2010.

Old 03-19-2022, 12:47 AM

13 posts, read 21,680 times
I lived in Millbrae my entire life, so I know it well. Millbrae is a very solid Middle Class/Upper Middle class (in the southern end hills) town. It is very family oriented, in fact probably one of the most on the peninsula. Millbrae never gets tourist, unless your looking at the in n out off the 101. Everyone in Millbrae is from Millbrae and so it has a small community feel.

The schools are good, though a lot of that is credited to the high amount of Asian students who come from strict families that expect good grades. But as someone who went to public school here, I can say that teachers do tend to challenge you. And there is this sense of expectation to do well because your going to Mills High School.

The town isn't the most diverse but has a large Asian presence. It's mainly Whites and Asians with a sprinkle of some other races. The whites in Millbrae tend to be from Irish and Italian catholic backgrounds. A lot of them are descendants of those families who left San Francisco when the hippies came in, to live in a more family oriented area.Then you have Asian families who have socially conservative values(and who many are devout protestant Christians), which combined makes Millbrae a more traditional town compared to much of the Bay Area. People here aren't all that leftist(although you still will find those types ofc) and things like going to church or spending the weekends at grandmas are common things to hear in Millbrae. It's very much an American suburb.

The downtown isn't too bad. But like I said, it isn't known to attract anyone. Unlike neighboring Burlingame which has a very posh downtown that almost everyone on the peninsula likes to go to, Millbrae's downtown is very much for the locals. Its a few convenient stores, a Starbucks, some small restaurants and cafes, plus some good Chinese food. It's not as nice as other peninsula down towns but it will do for the basics.

The weather is decent but nothing special either. There tends to be a lot of confusion around it, and this comes from the fact that it's very bi polar. We will have a nice sunny day followed by a very windy day, followed by a cloudy day, followed again by another sunny day. In general its cooler than anywhere south of it but warmer than anything north of it, especially towns like Daly City and South City. As far as fog go's, the fog line generally ends around the 380, which is the very northern part of San Bruno. It will sometimes leak into San Bruno but rarely every comes to Millbrae. What we do get a lot of is cloudiness and wind, even more so than Burlingame and especially San Mateo and southward. But we do see the sun a lot as well and compared to the foggy towns north of us, Millbrae is very much a relief.

The main complaint people have is the amount of homeless people. Mainly due to the Bart station having it's last stop in Millbrae. But from my experience they typically don't bother anyone. You will mainly find them outside Wallgreens or Luckys sitting down with a sign.

Other than than, Millbrae is a nice town. I would reccomend it to anyone who wants to have a peaceful family town but still close to the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland