Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times

Advertisements

Oakland is tough, but SF I'd have to see to believe.

The demographics in san fran don't match up, so its ghettos are probably small and isolated. Ghettos in the Midwest and NE take up entire sections of the city, Like Chicago's southside, or North Philly.

SF's ghettos could be just as bad, but they are not as wide spred, their demographics just don't support any claim of them havinng massive slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

The demographics in san fran don't match up, so its ghettos are probably small and isolated. Ghettos in the Midwest and NE take up entire sections of the city, Like Chicago's southside, or North Philly.

SF's ghettos could be just as bad, but they are not as wide spred, their demographics just don't support any claim of them havinng massive slums.
Demographics=slums? hmmmmm

Anyone else have a problem with this connotation?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Demographics=slums? hmmmmm

Anyone else have a problem with this connotation?
Maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about because your from cali.

Maybe you do know what I'm talking about, but you run with the PC crowd.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about because your from cali.

Maybe you do know what I'm talking about, but you run with the PC crowd.
I'm from California and I don't run with any crowd.

Perhaps your first statement is correct; I just don't understand what you're saying.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm from California and I don't run with any crowd.

Perhaps your first statement is correct; I just don't understand what you're saying.
Don't worry about it then. SF's as tough as you want it to be.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about it then. SF's as tough as you want it to be.
Have you been there? I have

Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Have you been there? I have
I know people, that have been there, and they say its a whole lot different.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I know people, that have been there, and they say its a whole lot different.
Ah ok. I know people who've been to Europe but I'll never really know what it's like until I go there myself. So for that, I will give you some credit when you say that you'll need to see SF yourself.

However, I wouldn't assume if I were you that it's really not as bad as some here are saying. Perhaps your friends did not venture south of Market St. Hell when I go to SF I never stray south of Market myself. I will go into east Oakland before I venture into Hunters Point any day. Night time is different for both cities, however downtown Oakland is safe as the people from the bad parts of Oakland tend to stay put there for the most part. In SF, the "south of Market" invades downtown most nights. Just look at jman's post; most of the crime he witnessed was in San Francisco.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Bay Area more than you'll ever know. However I take the bad with the good and I know it has a lot of bad. However, ignoring that is not the way I learned to love it when I lived there nor when I go back there from time to time.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 AM

111 posts, read 156,313 times
Quote:

See what to believe? Becuase it has a small Black population you don't think it can be that bad? Just come out and say it. San Francisco has housing projects with as much crime as any place in the country. Bad is Bad, it may not look as bad as North Philly or Detroit etc, but Sunnydale, Bayview, parts of fillmore etc are crime infested. It doesn't have to be wide spread, the city is so compact it affects everybody. You'll see plenty of crime in the Tenderloin, SOMA and other area's tourist get caught up in. Ride the Muni around the city and you'll be traumatized.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kense View Post
See what to believe? Becuase it has a small Black population you don't think it can be that bad? Just come out and say it. San Francisco has housing projects with as much crime as any place in the country. Bad is Bad, it may not look as bad as North Philly or Detroit etc, but Sunnydale, Bayview, parts of fillmore etc are crime infested. It doesn't have to be wide spread, the city is so compact it affects everybody. You'll see plenty of crime in the Tenderloin, SOMA and other area's tourist get caught up in. Ride the Muni around the city and you'll be traumatized.
Spot on with all points. That's what I was saying buy his connotation about the small black population. I never, ever ride that muni metro. Generally the only muni bus I ride when there is the 5 to get to Golden Gate Park. I walk along the entire embarcadero.

What area was that where the guys were walking around terrorizing people with pitbulls? I only heard about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland