Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,411 times

Advertisements

In SD forum almost everyone says that it's very hard to get even a restaurant worker job. What about SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,264 times
You can get a job at a restaurant or retail store fairly easy (server is a bit harder though). The question is will you be able to afford rent in San Francisco with a service job. If you have room mates it's possible.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Which apartments would be walking distance to grocery stores and public library?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Which apartments would be walking distance to grocery stores and public library?
SF is a pretty compact city. Just about anything is within walking distance of everything.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM

if i arrive there without any money would there be a homeless shelter willing to lodge me until i get a job?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM

If you live in the main part of San Francisco, you can walk or take public transportation everywhere.

Don't show up to San Francisco without money. San Francisco has the highest percentage of homeless people in the entire United States. There aren't enough homeless shelters, most of the homeless are missing body parts, addicted to all sorts of drugs and the weather in San Francisco is COLD. There are people who make $30,000 per year who want to live in San Francisco, but can't because they still can't afford it. It will be difficult getting a service job if you are homeless.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Why does it have the highest percentage of homeless people? Is it because of the good weather in which it never gets hot and never gets cold enough to be substantially inconvenient?

Could you get a one bed apartment for ~$400 if you have roommates?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM

The weather in San Francisco does get cold and the fog makes the air moist, which makes it feel even colder. I'm from Alaska and I find myself freezing in a thick winter jacket during the winter in San Francisco. There's a famous quote, "the coldest winter I spent was a summer in San Francisco."

The high homeless population in San Francisco in my opinion is due to a variety of reasons. San Francisco is known to be a liberal city. Liberals tend to "give" more to the homeless and are much more tolerant of their presence. You will see them almost everywhere in the city, sleeping in the parks, on the sidewalks, and in alleys. In many cities, you can't just simply pick any park to sleep overnight or any sidewalk to make camp. San Francisco is very tolerant, if you take a walk through the Tenderloin, I guarantee you there will be some homeless smoking weed or drinking booze and the police seem to ignore it. San Francisco is also a compact city, so most people walk or use public transportation, so there is high foot traffic, which is good for begging for money and getting around. The last major reason in my opinion is the stereotype of California and San Francisco. Many think the weather will be mostly sunny and warm year round and see the minimum wage is the highest in the country (not realizing that the weather in San Francisco is cool most of the year and the cost of living requires more than $10 per hour).

You might be able to find a couple rooms you could rent for $400, but realistically you should expect to pay $600 to $800 for a room (that is the bottom price range). Here is the link to craigslist:

classifieds - craigslist

Old 12-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
cost of living requires more than $10 per hour
I thought you would save money by not having to have air conditioning (or do you need heating?) and a car.

How much does the following cost in SF?

bananas per pound
pears per pound

Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I thought you would save money by not having to have air conditioning (or do you need heating?) and a car.

How much does the following cost in SF?

bananas per pound
pears per pound
Weaklings will need heat .

bananas per pound - 79c

pears per pound - $1.49
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland