Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM

37 posts, read 86,885 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Currently I live in North Beach and am considering moving to the east bay or south bay. While I love SF and all of the urban amenities it has to offer, I just can't take the chilly weather.

I have done some research on Rockridge and it seems like a safe place to live but I have some questions:

How the social scene is there? Is it easy to meet people? Are there lots of young professionals living in this area? Is there a downtown that is walkable and safe? Are there good resteraunts/bars? Or is Rockridge just a nice suburb? How does the weather there differ than SF? Is housing more affordable than North Beach? What would the commute be like from the hills of Rockridge to the Embarcadero?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,882 times
Social scene: There are a few cool bars in Rockridge, but I prefer neighboring Shattuck in Berkeley for nightlife. I've partied in both areas, and I'd say the Rockridge/Shattuck vibe is much more laid-back, where finding the perfect microbrew is more of an object than getting drunk. Bars you may want to try out before you decide: Beckett's, Jupiter, Blake's, Starry Plough (they have Irish dancing on Sundays, worth checking out). There is no 'downtown' in the sense you're thinking - it's a strip, College Ave, where all the action is - boutiques, restaurants, bars, etc.

Demographic: Rockridge does have young professionals & college students from Berkeley, but I think the majority is young families, especially during the day on the weekends.

College Ave. safety: I feel comfortable walking alone at night on College, or with my girlfriends.

Weather: Weather is probably about 10-15 degrees warmer than N Beach.

If you're in the hills, you're probably not walkable to College Ave. I'd recommend restricting your search to the College Ave. area unless you're looking for something more residential/remote. Rockridge BART to Embarcadero takes about 20 minutes. Driving would not be very practical - an hour or hour fifteen, best guess.

As for cost, I'd suggest you compare the areas on craigslist to get a better idea.

I highly recommend you hop on BART and just walk around - I think you'll be charmed, especially on the weekend, by all the bustling shops, though nights tend to be quiet.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,521,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2009 View Post
While I love SF and all of the urban amenities it has to offer, I just can't take the chilly weather.
SF and chilly? Wait till someone schools you about SF weather on this board. They will tell you that how its sunny 66% of time, how it never gets cold and the fog happens only in the sunset. Heck these SF lovers think this is kind of a paradise with mild weather where the sun always shines!

FYI, I think the weather in Oakland/Berkeley is much nicer. But to get really nice weather you gotta go all the way down to south bay.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,042,058 times
There's nice weather and then there's hot weather. And South bay/San Jose is just way to hot and uncomfortable during the summer.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,044,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
There's nice weather and then there's hot weather. And South bay/San Jose is just way to hot and uncomfortable during the summer.
I guess I just don't get it. I keep on coming across responses like this here. Typical summer temps in the high 70's to low 80's with low humidity is hardly hot...especially when it still cools down into the 50's at night. Summer is supposed to be warm people!!! It never ceases to amaze me how many people think the South Bay is sooooo hot in the summer. There are actually many homes in the South Bay that don't even have AC.

Personally, I can't say how much I love visiting my father-in-law in Granite Bay (Sac area) and hanging out on his patio on a summer night sipping a Margarita while it's still 75+ degrees...it's awesome! If you think the South Bay is hot, try living anywhere in the central valley!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM

205 posts, read 589,422 times
Rockridge is nice. It's near College Avenue (which takes you to UC Berkeley) and it's near Kaiser hospital. Lots of doctors and staff in the area.
There are a lot of little funky shops and eateries and a very eclectic crowd.
The weather in Oakland is some of the best weather in the nation.
I think you will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland