Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

138 posts, read 595,234 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm currently living in NYC, working for a nonprofit as a program coordinator and working on my masters in Art Therapy. I've recently decided to move to the west coast (for a variety of reasons, but the weather is definitely a plus!) and have family in SJ. I'd be attending classes in Belmont full or part time, and would need to find some form of job (something social work/ mental health related that doesn't require an lcsw or mft license) which i don't think will be a huge problem. Coming from NY, i'm used to overpriced housing, food, car insurance, etc. and comparing costs, SJ is actually cheaper than my current situation.

Also moving with me is my BF who is in the process of finishing nursing school (RN, not LVN) and he would have to find an affordable school and has been looking at cabrillo and gavilan as they're quite affordable. He'd also be looking for some kind of health-care related job.
I know this is a lot of "finding" jobs, and that takes time, etc, but we're both intelligent, have good educational backgrounds and work experience in NYC. I'm a bit curious as to how difficult it is to find jobs we're qualified for. I've done some job hunting and seen a lot of positions that im overqualified for and would easily work for me, but i hear from so many people how difficult it is to find a job. ???

ANYWAY, Since we're both students, we'd be looking for the cheapest housing possible at this time (Studio or 1 br would be fine) under $1000 would be great, in an area between SJ and SF (suburbs are fine as well). I'd like to be able to park my car and not have it get robbed/hit regularly.

Does anyone have suggestions of towns/ areas we should be looking in?

Also, where do people in Sj move to when they want to buy a house? it seems like the cost of homes is significantly higher than i expected, and considering both our careers will not lead to much more than $120k combined, we'd be working on a budget when we finally do settle down. I think we'd be flexible to live anywhere in California, from LA and north.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 PM

207 posts, read 507,525 times
Sure there are a lot of competition in the job market right now but as long as you're both hirable and on top of your game then obtaining a job will be quite possible. You should get a job before picking up and moving here though. As far as housing look towards south, west and north San Jose where it's affordable and decent. Just avoid east San Jose. You might also consider Santa Clara, Sunnyvale and Mt. View, although those cities might be more expensive in comparison to San Jose. Craigslist will give you a lot of options in your housing search.

If your salaries add up to $120k a year, you will do alright in San Jose. You will be pretty comfortable so don't worry that you'll be eating out of cans.

Also, I think you'll be better off in San Jose than in LA. It's over crowded in LA and all that crazy traffic and smog. I can't even imagine!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
working for a nonprofit as a program coordinator and working on my masters in Art Therapy...need to find some form of job (something social work/ mental health related that doesn't require an lcsw or mft license) which i don't think will be a huge problem.
I can help your search if you send a PM my way (I'm a program facilitator in a non-profit in SJ, working with adults with disabilities).

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM

I've seen some affordable nice looking places online in the lower east bay/ northern area of san jose.

We won't be making $120k together while we're in school though, I make about $35k now working 3/4 time (28 hours per week while in school) and BF makes about the same working full time. I'm not sure how the pay difference will be there for either of us. After graduation and job placement we should do much better

I'm used to the nyc life and eating cheap food, having no social life, etc. All we need is bikes and fresh fruit and veggies and we're happy. I'm looking forward to how clean (esp. compared to NY) that SJ is.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

207 posts, read 507,525 times
You'll get plenty of fresh fruit in California. The thing I really missed about being here when I moved to Washington state is all the great fruit you can eat during the winter. I just bought some strawberries at the store today and they were sweet! You 2 will be fine here, they have cool farmers markets during the spring all the way into fall everywhere. Locally grown fruits & veggies...yum

Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM

mmm fruits and veg!

Anyone know what the commute would be like from hayward, newark or fremont to belmont? It may or may not be during peak hours. My school is in belmont, classes could be at 3pm or 630, or on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose