Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 68,962 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me advice on rentals in the Ben Lomond/ Boulder Creek area? My wife and I are looking for a place up there because we will be working there at a business we are taking over. Our budget will be tight the first year so I'm hoping to find a lower priced rental. Is Craigslist the only place I should be looking? I'm seeing rentals from $900 for a small studio up $1500 for a small 1 or 2 bedroom. Is this about right? We eventually plan to buy something in the community, are there rent-to-own options?

Also, in general what is the community like in Ben lomond? Are the rumors on the "Santa Cruz Sucks" threads about locals being unfriendly to outsiders true? Or is that a Santa Cruz thing? We're actually very excited about living there. Any advice for us?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Don't listen to the nasty posts about Santa Cruz county or at least take them with a huge grain of salt.
I find, generally speaking, that those who have such attitudes are rather nasty themselves.
So they'll tend to resonate with the negative.
That doesn't seem like your m.o..
Imo, if you are drawn to a place and feel within yourself good about it, using a site like this one to gain practical info is good but constantly reading the opinions of others about a place can be crazy-making and can throw you off center.
Come with an open mind and an open heart and a tolerant attitude and you'll be fine.
No, the "unfriendly to 'outsiders'" is not true.
It's not like the county is some backward and provincial place.
The mountain communities are a bit more entrenched but there are many, many people living up there who came from elsewhere who work in the county and who work in San Jose / Silicon Valley, etc..
Actually, and unfortunately, many local people have been forced to leave over the years because of the huge influx of people over the past 30 + years.
It simply became to expensive.
Because of the huge increase in population growth in the county (particularly in the 90's with the dot-com explosion) there is of course some local attitude around toward those who came in and kind of overtook the place and drove prices sky high, etc. but that is to be found in any community that has experienced a similar phenomena.
It absolutely does not have to be an issue! It has never been for me.
So don't worry.
The fact that you're enthusiastic / exited about living in the S.C. mountains is all you need ... that and the good fortune of finding an affordable and good place to live.
That is the shared challenge in the county for anyone on a budget.
It is a very expensive place to live and often, regarding rentals, you don't get much for your money but it just takes that one good place and you have to assume that you'll find it .... eventually.
Overall / generally, it's just a bit less pricey up in the mountains, ie; Felton, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek, etc., but not that much less and sometimes quite comparable to the communities nearer to the coast..
The only thing that i'll warn you about is that so many of the rentals in the mountains are in the redwoods.
The redwood are wonderful and magical and in the summer truly heavenly as they provide coolness and refuge from the heat (and it does get hot up there).
In the winter months however you need to be prepared for darkness and dampness and usually (this is an odd winter so far) quite a bit of rain.
If you can find a rental that has some sun exposure in the rainy months, that would be ideal.
The mountain communities in the county have a special kind of vibe and if you've visited and like the feeling up there that's great.
Enjoy.

And yes, craigslist really is the optimal way to find a rental.
I don't know about rent-to-own opportunities.
You may want to contact Donner Land and Homes to inquire about that.
In my dreams i buy property in the county and so i look at their listings often. Most of their properties are in the S.C. mountains so they may be a good resource for you.
Donner Land & Homes - Santa Cruz County, Boulder Creek Properties and Real Estate

Good luck.

Last edited by jaijai; 01-19-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM

21 posts, read 68,962 times
I appreciate the comments, the home prices don't actually seem too bad especially for some of the fixers on Realtor.com. The rent is a sticker shock compared to what I'm used to in other areas, hopefully we won't need to rent for too long.

I've heard numerous comments about how dreary the redwoods can be in winter. I guess I will have to see how that goes. I'm sure it can't be worse than the Fresno fog and smog right now.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosner View Post
I appreciate the comments, the home prices don't actually seem too bad especially for some of the fixers on Realtor.com. The rent is a sticker shock compared to what I'm used to in other areas, hopefully we won't need to rent for too long.

I've heard numerous comments about how dreary the redwoods can be in winter. I guess I will have to see how that goes. I'm sure it can't be worse than the Fresno fog and smog right now.
If you have a nice warm, dry, well heated and well insulated place, it can be quite nice actually ... just a bit dark and wet.
Some good full spectrum light bulbs in every fixture helps mitigate the lack of sun.
And the air is clean and if you don't like fog, being up in the S.C. mountains is a good place to be in the summer.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM

43 posts, read 122,342 times
Default Tips on Ben Lomond/Boulder Creek

I've lived in the San Lorenzo Valley (which consists of the towns of Felton, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek and Brookdale) all of my life.

Felton and Ben Lomond are the nicest, also higher rent. They have small-town life but still offer easy access to the cities of Santa Cruz and San Jose. The rental prices you mentioned do sound typical.

Boulder Creek is a little more remote, and a little rougher due to weather in the winter but beautiful in summer. Depending on where you live, expect minor flooding, downed trees/power lines/mudslides and road closures in winter. Expect loss of power and phone and water at times.

Boulder Creek residents are a strange mix of professionals who work in Santa Clara Valley, hippies leftover from the sixties, rednecks, meth users and a few lovely young families. Just telling it like it is!

Beware of the following when looking for housing anywhere in the mountains: Are you near a river or creek? They will rise in rain.

Are you hanging off the side of a cliff? We get mudslides and trees down during rain.

Are you under the redwood canopy? The shade might seem like a relief in summer, but you are going to be basking in mold and darkness all winter. Your heating bill will be through the roof, that's why most people have woodstoves so look for one.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieanna View Post
Boulder Creek residents are a strange mix of professionals who work in Santa Clara Valley, hippies leftover from the sixties, rednecks, meth users and a few lovely young families. Just telling it like it is!
Nailed it. Funny how it so much resembles my old neighbor-town, Redwood Estates.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks bigdumgod! This is one topic I know a lot about.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks bigdumgod! This is one topic I know a lot about.
yes ... and you should stick around to answer the s.c. mountain community questions that show up now and then.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks, I will do that! I've found a lot of great posts here to help me with my impending move to San Jose, will try to do the same for others re: Santa Cruz Mountains.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
Quote:
I've lived in the San Lorenzo Valley (which consists of the towns of Felton, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek and Brookdale) all of my life.

Felton and Ben Lomond are the nicest, also higher rent. They have small-town life but still offer easy access to the cities of Santa Cruz and San Jose. The rental prices you mentioned do sound typical.

Boulder Creek is a little more remote, and a little rougher due to weather in the winter but beautiful in summer. Depending on where you live, expect minor flooding, downed trees/power lines/mudslides and road closures in winter. Expect loss of power and phone and water at times.

Beware of the following when looking for housing anywhere in the mountains: Are you near a river or creek? They will rise in rain.

Are you hanging off the side of a cliff? We get mudslides and trees down during rain.

Are you under the redwood canopy? The shade might seem like a relief in summer, but you are going to be basking in mold and darkness all winter. Your heating bill will be through the roof, that's why most people have woodstoves so look for one.

And you really think people in Ben Lomond and Felton are much different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose