Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 17,712 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

We're a family of 4: myself (SAHM), hubby (software engineer currently at a very well known company), daughter (12), and son (almost 2). Plus, we have 2 doggies, a german shephard and a yorkie poodle mix.

Hubs has a proposition for a job in Sunnyvale for a Sr. Software Engineer. We currently live in a pretty affluent, family friendly, area of Seattle. I'm wondering a few things:

1). We'll be renting to start. We currently have a 4bdrm 3ba house-$3000/mo. We HAVE to have something comparable in size w/in a decent commute time to hubs' office (20 mins max). What areas are we looking at? Are they comparably priced? Do they even exist?

2.) Schools - daughter is currently in 7th grade, so an excellent school district is a MUST. Our son is supposed to start a Montessori school next summer, so any info on those would be helpful.

3.) I'm noticing not many rentals on Zillow. Is this something to be concerned about? Also, here is Seattle, dogs are considered children, so they would need to be accepted wherever we land, but I'm noticing only small dogs and cats are popular in the accepted "pets" category.

Any info is helpful and appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I think in the areas close to Sunnyvale, 3K a month for a 4 bedroom rental would be tough to find. You could try Fremont (the southern side, zip 94539) which has good schools. It would be a 30-60 minute commute in traffic to Sunnyvale though.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think in the areas close to Sunnyvale, 3K a month for a 4 bedroom rental would be tough to find. You could try Fremont (the southern side, zip 94539) which has good schools. It would be a 30-60 minute commute in traffic to Sunnyvale though.
I would agree with this, 4bd is tough to do, since you're only a family of 4, can you do 3bd? Or be willing to pay more? For the most part software engineering jobs here don't pay enough for a family of 4 to live affluently unless both parents are working. I would say though, some software engineers are able to get up to 200k/yr, but that is the exception, and they usually have the title "Software Architect". I would also suggest looking at Craigslist for rentals, as craigslist seems to be the service everyone uses down here for almost anything (being that the company is from San Francisco I'm not surprised), other sites that are popular in other parts of the country seem not to get as much traction here.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
If you want an excellent school for your daughter and close commute for DH under $3000, your expectations will have to be cut quite dramatically. Are you willing to give up space? Think 3 bedroom townhome.

I live in Morgan Hill, and our 4 bed/3 bath rentals are going for $3000 a month (very family friendly, clean and safe). It will be a +/- 1 hour commute though from here to Sunnyvale depending on what time your husband commutes into and out of work (if not carpooling). I have a neighbor commuting into North San Jose/Sunnyvale and took him 35 min on a motorcycle, but recently gave it up for a car. I'm sure you can find willing commuters to carpool with too cut cut down on time. Without traffic I can get into Sunnyvale in 30 minutes.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,524 times
Default Living in Silicon Valley

As you can see you don't get much for $3500 here. I've also included a school ranking map of the schools in the bay area. The area's that are dotted with green have the best schools. It's not surprising that these areas have ultra high real estate prices with the upper echelon of income earners. Also, just because a neighborhood is expensive here doesn't imply that it looks that way. There are plenty of million dollar homes with 1300 sq. ft. built in the 1960's with few upgrades. Let me know if you have any further questions.

4br- 2.5bath Cupertino School

School Rankings for the San Francisco South Bay Area, California

Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Basically, you will likely need to:

1/ look for a smaller place (you should be able to rent a 3 bedroom for 3K)
2/ increase your budget
3/ move further away (and deal with a commute)
4/ look for an area that doesn't have as good schools (in this case, you will have other tradeoffs, such as safety, etc)

Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
Quote:
Also, here is Seattle, dogs are considered children, so they would need to be accepted wherever we land, but I'm noticing only small dogs and cats are popular in the accepted "pets" category.
Dogs are not considered children here....you are going to have a really TOUGH time renting here with a dog - big or small. The rental market here was insane when we moved - dogless - 2 years ago, it's only gotten worse. Your best chance of getting a rental that accepts dogs is to post a "house wanted" ad on Craigslist, and be prepared to offer the landlord DOUBLE - yes DOUBLE the security deposit, to entice the landlord to rent to you, and get a resume for youself as a dog owner/renter. Pictures of your home, and references, proving you are a responsible dog owner. Best of luck to you - you will really need it here!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
I think all of the posts here were good and I don't think anyone was exaggerating how tough the housing situation here is. It's very brutal. Often, the higher pay does not make up for the higher cost of living here.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 17,712 times
Thanks everyone for the replies! I knew is was going to be difficult to give up our "luxuries" of Seattle living. Hubs has an interview on Tuesday, so we'll see what the compensation package is and go from there.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
yea...we moved down to Sunnyvale a year ago and are actually planning to relocate to Seattle by the time our son is school-age for these very reasons. We're paying $2500 for a 2 br apartment that's in a very nice complex - but I would not send my son to school here, they're somewhat ghetto even though the area is supposed to be decent. The good areas to live are Los Altos, Palo Alto, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino - but in most of those you would be paying $4-5K for a 3 br.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose