Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM

19 posts, read 51,060 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'll be moving to the silicon valley from atlanta. Just wanted to get an idea about the cost of a 2BR, 2 Bath apt in the sunnyvale, mountain view and santa clara/san jose areas. Also are the high salaries in the valley are at par with the high housing cost? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I think Sunnyvale is cheaper than Mountain View.. rents are fairly expensive by any standard in the area but Sunnyvale and Santa Clara are some of the cheaper options.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM

110 posts, read 269,971 times
We live in San Jose, nice apartment 1100sq/ft 2 bed 2 bath and access to pools/gym etc. Costs $2400 per month and approx $70 a month for bills. As for salaries I guess it depends on the company, my company pays more if you live in New York City or the Bay Area to accommodate for the high cost of living. In general I am not sure I would assume there is some sort of general uplift applied.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
We rent in a large complex in Cupertino for the schools, 2BR 2BA, pool, gym, play ground, nearly 2800 for a short term 4 month lease while we figure out if we will buy or keep renting. There were cheaper options for a year long lease. It is okay, we have a small dog and pay 50 extra monthly for her, included in the 2800.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
We rented a 2 bedroom apartment in a big complex in downtown Mountain View. I think those units are now going for over $3,000/month (easily). If you are willing to live away from downtown or live in an older complex, you may be able to save some money. I would think by and large that Sunnyvale would be a little cheaper than Mtn View, but in my opinion, Mtn View is a better place to live.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewInAtlanta View Post
Hi
I'll be moving to the silicon valley from atlanta. Just wanted to get an idea about the cost of a 2BR, 2 Bath apt in the sunnyvale, mountain view and santa clara/san jose areas. Also are the high salaries in the valley are at par with the high housing cost?
Sunnyvale you're looking at $1750 and up.
Mountain View approximately the same.
Santa Clara is about $150-$200 cheaper.

The high salaries are on par with renting, but not at par with purchasing. The purchase cost of housing here far outdistances any gains you may have from a higher salary.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The high salaries are on par with renting, but not at par with purchasing. The purchase cost of housing here far outdistances any gains you may have from a higher salary.
Yes, but so does the house appreciation....that could come in very handy if you plan on relocating elsewhere in a few years.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 AM

677 posts, read 835,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You pretty much have to strike it rich with stock options in order to afford to purchase a house in Silicon Valley.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 AM

677 posts, read 835,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, but so does the house appreciation....that could come in very handy if you plan on relocating elsewhere in a few years.
You mean like the house appreciation between 2006 to 2011?

House appreciation is not guaranteed, but your high mortgage payments are. You're better off putting your money in the stock market, which has historically appreciated at twice the rate of houses. Even if your house doubles in price in 30 years, guess what? You've paid 3 to 5 times your purchase price in total mortgage, property tax, insurance, maintenance, HOA, fees, closing costs, realtor commissions, etc. payments over those 30 years, so you still lost money.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
You mean like the house appreciation between 2006 to 2011?

House appreciation is not guaranteed, but your high mortgage payments are. You're better off putting your money in the stock market, which has historically appreciated at twice the rate of houses. Even if your house doubles in price in 30 years, guess what? You've paid 3 to 5 times your purchase price in total mortgage, property tax, insurance, maintenance, HOA, fees, closing costs, realtor commissions, etc. payments over those 30 years, so you still lost money.
Well, we bought a new townhouse in Mtn View 2 years ago at a depressed price. The new ones in our complex are now selling for about $100k more than we paid for ours and they're having no trouble selling. Yeah, it wasn't easy for us to get in (and my wife and I aren't rich), but a FHA loan helped out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose