Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM

65 posts, read 86,789 times

Advertisements

I'm coing to Santa Clara in about 2 months, and not going to have a lot of $$$ for rent. I've been told that I should rent a room until I get more $$$, but personally I HATE ROOMMATES!!!

I haven't had a roommate that didn't make me hate my life. I've had the dead beat, the couch potato, the my-sig-other-****-don't-stink, the can-i-borrow-everything-you-own-and-(destroy/keep forever), the I-want-to-go-everywhere-you-go, the I'm-gona-eat-all-your-food, and the Oh-can-you-pay-all-of-this-months-rent-and-next roommates. Most times, I've gotten more than one of those traits in said roommate.

This leaves me thinking "do other people like their roommates?" Is there some special thing I don't know that makes living with someone else easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
The economics of renting in the Bay Area mean that you'll get a lot more professional, serious people sharing apartments here, whereas in the much of the country it's shorthand for overgrown frat boys reliving "Old School".

Old 06-10-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
The economics of renting in the Bay Area mean that you'll get a lot more professional, serious people sharing apartments here, whereas in the much of the country it's shorthand for overgrown frat boys reliving "Old School".
Do you have a roommate? Does this mean you've had better experience with roommates in the bay area as opposed to somewhere else?

Old 06-10-2012, 03:26 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
The economics of renting in the Bay Area mean that you'll get a lot more professional, serious people sharing apartments here,
Generally, yes, but it has much to do with what age group you aim for. Lots of people will rent for a number of months who just got here and are looking for more permanent dwellings, as they often just moved for a job or school. Need to meet people before you even think of living under the same roof, and there's no guarantees they'll not go Jekyll/Hyde after they move in.

Just remind them about the fate of those now resting within the walls of the basement for nonpayment, and they'll behave.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 AM

264 posts, read 831,565 times
You should get a good feel for the ads in Craigslist...usually they specify if they are looking for a professional or student. And you can always email back and forth a bit to decide if you will mesh with the person(s). My husband and I both did the roommate thing just starting out here in the south bay and it worked out fine for us. Husband stayed in 2 different places. 1st place he had 2 housemates sharing a 3 bedroom condo in north San Jose (800 a month in 2003)...both early or mid 30s and he hardly ever saw them...they didn't even cook in the condo for the most part. Second place he downgraded to save money for our wedding (425 a month) and shared a house in south San Jose with 3 other roommates...had to share a bathroom too. That one wasn't great due to it being dirty all the time, but he still hardly saw his housemates. My situation, I actually shared a bedroom for 400 a month across from sjsu...got a long great with my roommates and it was a good situation for us, even thought I don't recommend sharing a room.

Maybe stay away from being too near a college...should be able to find professional roommates and ads for those looking for professionals.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
This is true. I've had several "professional" roommates in major cities. Not now, but before... They were excellent roommates actually. There are lots of travelers who just need a room maybe 2 weeks out of the month instead of getting a hotel, I had that situation once and sometimes had the place to myself for a month at a time. It probably helps for this if you are near a DT area though and they can get to your place and their work sans car... but they are out there. Many are looking to fly into a city, have a place to stay, and go to their office in that city for a bit. Some will even have their travel expensed by a company for travel funds instead of them paying a hotel every time so they have a more comfortable stay. I'm sure in SV you'll have some people that only need to be there half time. I would try to look for a professional roommate who just needs somewhere to sleep and has a good job, vs. somebody who is just trying to pay the bills at the cheapest price. My last roommate was actually a foreign diplomat who worked at the local consulate. Now, if you aren't professional yourself, you aren't going to attract like minded roommates once they meet you, so a lot will depend on how you present yourself and your place.

This was much different experience than my roommates in college, who were all immature slobs. :P

Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
I would rather live in a van down by the river.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
maybe you'd rather stay in ohio.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony052007 View Post
I'm coing to Santa Clara in about 2 months, and not going to have a lot of $$$ for rent. I've been told that I should rent a room until I get more $$$, but personally I HATE ROOMMATES!!!

I haven't had a roommate that didn't make me hate my life. I've had the dead beat, the couch potato, the my-sig-other-****-don't-stink, the can-i-borrow-everything-you-own-and-(destroy/keep forever), the I-want-to-go-everywhere-you-go, the I'm-gona-eat-all-your-food, and the Oh-can-you-pay-all-of-this-months-rent-and-next roommates. Most times, I've gotten more than one of those traits in said roommate.

This leaves me thinking "do other people like their roommates?" Is there some special thing I don't know that makes living with someone else easier?
I had roommates for 8.5 years. I lived in 4 different houses during that time. What worked out best for me was renting from older divorced women. Bottom line is it's better to rent a room from someone who owns and lives in the home. If you share a house or apartment with other renters your own age, people are always coming and going, so you never know what you're going to get.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Just remind them about the fate of those now resting within the walls of the basement for nonpayment, and they'll behave.
Do they really care? In most cases, I would think I would be locked into a lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose