Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Absolutely! But I was always one of those taxpayers as well. Tax payments going to public services must necessarily go to public servants to administer the programs. If you don't want to pay the the public servants then you must not want the services either.
It's easy to say "I'm a taxpayer, too" if you are paying $1 in tax and getting $50 in direct benefits from paying the tax. Obviously, then, that's a great return on your investment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am one of the strongest supporters of the police...Just like military, they put thier lives on the line for us daily, but there is still a limit.
Typical conservative nonsense.

"I put yellow ribbons on my car and I have an American flag. I support the troops!!!!!"....unless it means I have to reach into my pocket and grab an extra dollar to pay them what they deserve.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's easy to say "I'm a taxpayer, too" if you are paying $1 in tax and getting $50 in direct benefits from paying the tax. Obviously, then, that's a great return on your investment!
You may not think paying cops 90% of their former salaries to retire in their early 50s isn't enough, but most San Jose taxpayers do. To top it off, the have the highest rate of disability retirements of any city in California, so that means a lot of them are getting those pensions tax free. And that doesn't even include the sick time payouts. Our former police chief retired a few years ago with almost 300K in sick leave payout. Several fire department chiefs also retired with 200K in sick leave payouts as well.

So...how much more in taxes are YOU willing to pay to keep up this level of benefits? It's already going to take a tax increase just to pay for the existing retirees. So get ready to dig deep.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM

493 posts, read 783,031 times
i really like that san jose is a law and order town, and sure wouldnt want to live here in city limits if lowlifes could take advantage of the "police brutality" BS that hamstrings SFPD and especially OPD.
whatever it takes to maintain that, we should.

funny thing is we are in unincorporated san jose, our kids got to school in morgan hill and everything, but we still deal with SJPD in law and order matters, not santa clara county sherrifs.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 4,565 times
California voters need to pass a constitutional amendment (for the state constitution) :

- no govt employee (city, county, or state) can take retirement payments before the age that s/he would be able to do so if claiming social security benefits
- no govt employee can take annual benefits larger than 3x what they would get from Social security (or 2x if they ARE eligible for SS) *including health benefits*
- no govt employee can "cash out" unused sick leave at retirement

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You may not think paying cops 90% of their former salaries to retire in their early 50s isn't enough, but most San Jose taxpayers do.
I may be missing something, but didn't san jose voters in a recent election just limit city pension benefits? At least 50% of the voters must have agreed with the limit, or it wouldn't have passed. So "90%" is way, WAY over optimistic.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockPuppet321 View Post
I may be missing something, but didn't san jose voters in a recent election just limit city pension benefits? At least 50% of the voters must have agreed with the limit, or it wouldn't have passed. So "90%" is way, WAY over optimistic.
Yes, they did but it's currently being challenged in court, so the old pension rules are still in effect as of now. The 90% refers to the percentage of salary police & firefighters receive as part of their pensions after 30 years of service.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Sorry, I misread. It's "most San Jose taxpayers" that I should have called you to task for, not "90%". For the issue to have passed, "most" voters must have voted against pork for city employees.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockPuppet321 View Post
Sorry, I misread. It's "most San Jose taxpayers" that I should have called you to task for, not "90%". For the issue to have passed, "most" voters must have voted against pork for city employees.
I think the vote was 70/30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose