Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:57 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times

Advertisements

Hi All, We're going to experiment with parking at Caltrain and taking the train to the Giants' game. I've taken Caltrain many times to BART to SF and back making sure to catch the baby bullet train hours (there's one mistake we'll only make ONCE!), but after the game it's a ridiculous ride back with the train stopping at every freaking station.

So we're going to drive up most of the way, then park at a closer station and ride in, thus only having a few stops on the way "home" to the car.

So, not being familiar with stations near SF, I'm wondering which ones you'd want to be walking to your car very late at night?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,185 times
This is a question for the SF forum, they would know best how the areas around THEIR team are. *duh*

It's very safe in San Francisco. It is the land of milk and honey and tree-loving, hip-banging liberals, who can do no wrong.

Another poster has already insinuated that San Francisco is God's Gift to Mankind. How can God's Gift to Mankind be unsafe? Park anywhere in SF and you will definitely feel the love

And when you're up there, can you please hold up a sign that says: "I'm A Giants Fan in San Jose, can MY team please stop cockblocking MY city?"

Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
If you're going to drive most of way, just drive all the way.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
Default caltrain parking

Pretty much all the caltrain stations that have parking are perfectly safe. Probably the one with largest lot and is really convenient to the freeway is Millbrae.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Try the Caltrain/BART station in Millbrae. They have a 3 or 4 story parking garage. Easy access off 101. There are stations closer to SF but the smaller parking lots are usually full.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 PM

157 posts, read 218,602 times
We use Millbrae.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,705 times
I generally park at Mountain View (for weekday night games). It's longer on the train than you said you wanted, but :

1- I don't want to drive on 101 during rush hour during the week, even in the diamond lane
2- I live 4-5 minutes from highway 85, so it's a straight shot, anti-commute direction for me to MV
3- there are parking spaces available, generally (several hundred spot parking lot) *except* Sun mornings when they have a farmer's market
4- I can often park across the street from the station in the "5 hour parking" or even "2 hour parking" zones, because I catch the train at 5-5:30 and the parking limitations end at 6 PM
5- one of the "Giants special" trains leaving after the game skips the first 10 or so stations (all the ones closest to SF). Make sure to get on that one (if you park at MV. If you park at Milbrae make sure to NOT be on that train ). From caltrain.com :

Weekends & Weeknight games - An express train to San Carlos leaves approximately 15 minutes after the last out, or when full, and makes all local stops after San Carlos to San Jose Diridon. A second train will leave 25 minutes after the game, or when full, and serve all local stops to San Jose Diridon.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
**** the Giants.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
**** the Giants.

Hope that helps!
REPPED!!!!!! You go Mr. Bombastic!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,277 times
According to Caltrain:

POST-GAME game Service

"Weekends & Weeknight games - An express train to San Carlos leaves approximately 15 minutes after the last out, or when full, and makes all local stops after San Carlos to San Jose Diridon. A second train will leave 25 minutes after the game, or when full, and serve all local stops to San Jose Diridon.

On Fireworks Nights, the express and local trains will depart approximately 15 and 25 minutes, respectively, after the fireworks, or when full.

Caltrain reminds you that open alcoholic beverages are prohibited on trains departing from San Francisco beginning at 9 p.m. on game days."

So I'm guessing they realized that fans were annoyed at stopping at every stop and decided to add the express train. Anyway, it is not a long drive from 101 to the Caltrain at San Carlos, so I would be tempted to take that one, but the weekend Baby Bullet doesn't stop there, so the next stop south is Redwood City, and that would be my suggestion.

If it is a weekday game I would take the Mountain View suggestion. Take the first train that goes express to San Carlos after the game, Mountain View is baby bullet stop as well and you can take the train then. If you've never driven 101 between 85 and Palo Alto, it is not a good time to start, it tends to be stop and go both ways, better on the carpool lane, but still not a good experience. Then driving further up you will have traffic past Whipple up until San Mateo, around 92 or 3rd street depending.

Alternatively, you could try taking I-280 all the way to Millbrae, on weekdays it is not that bad taking I-280, there will be some traffic, but it will be moving. In that case you will need to take the second train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose