Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 16,892 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a very small suburban town about 45 minutes from Boston. I have been from MA most of my life, aside from living in Providence for a few years. I have my own business as a financial advisor, teach financial workshops for women (in companies, alum groups, women's groups, etc) and just became a yoga instructor. My plan is to teach yoga within corporate wellness programs. I'm Caucasian, 30, and single.

I'm posting here because I need a change and I've wanted to move to CA for as long as I can remember. I loathe winter, and I have a condition where my fingers and toes go numb in the cold. I've done a lot of research on my own, read a lot of these threads, and still opted to ask for input. My firm has offices in Newport Beach and San Jose (as well as a few other spots, but I think the only other that I'd consider is Ventura or *maybe* Santa Rosa- wine country). These areas couldnt be more different.

I've mostly narrowed it down to San Jose or OC; leaning toward OC. How are these areas for women in business? Would you think women up north would be more grounded / business minded than the south? How about the difference in lifestyle? Every time that I visit Huntingtom Beach, I am drawn to the active lifestyle- running the beach, surfing, yoga. I also found the people to be friendly. How's the hiking in these spots? Farmers markets? concerts? cafes? kayaking? sports? How about the dating scene? I've heard OC is "superficial" whereas San Jose is "sleepy/families." (I don't want to move from suburbia to suburbia, but I also don't need a huge city) I'd be moving alone, so I'd like an area with enough opportunity to meet people for business networking, friendship, and dating. I have friends, and a client in San Fran but no other real connections to CA.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Maybe the generic California forum would give you better answers. My first impression is that southern CA would suit you better.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Thank you; I'm new to posting in these forms. I posted in general CA, SJ, and OC forums hoping to getting opinions from people within the different regions. (Hopefully I didn't make a rookie error and create too much overlap by doing so!)

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOStoCA View Post
Thank you; I'm new to posting in these forms. I posted in general CA, SJ, and OC forums hoping to getting opinions from people within the different regions. (Hopefully I didn't make a rookie error and create too much overlap by doing so!)
Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant at all. Get all the info you can :-)

I was just thinking that I don't know southern California, so I can't really give you a comparison.

You could probably find what you like in either area, but southern California would be warmer year-round.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Huntington would be fun, but the plethora of plastic surgery culture surrounding it might drive one insane (i.e., Newport Beach). Need to look into traffic patterns on the 5 as well (yep, it's SoCal, so it's "the 5").

Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
San Jose is more educated and has a better job market if you are career oriented. HB is "surfers paradise" amd SoCal would offer a better social scene, but not as good of a job scene. Neither place is perfect, every place is a tradeoff of some sort.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
I've mostly narrowed it down to San Jose or OC; leaning toward OC.
Easy Choice - Orange County! San Jose has the bad aspects of Orange County like the traffic and high cost of real estate without the good aspects like many miles of fabulous beaches.

Quote:
I've heard OC is "superficial" whereas San Jose is "sleepy/families."
Orange County has plenty of down to earth areas like Tustin, Fountain Valley, Los Alamitos, Fullerton etc. One can avoid the superficial image conscious places are places like Irvine, Newport Beach or the worst of them all - Westside LA.

For a non-suburbia area check out Belmont Shore in Long Beach.

Things to do in Belmont Shore

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM

You guys are great; I really appreciate the feedback.

Work-life-balance is of supreme importance to me and I fear a lack of that among people in SJ, even if the job market is "better." It did seem as though the OC unemployment rate was lower by comparison though.

I truly thought someone would answer this question with "live in Santa Cruz; work in SJ" which was part of my original thought process. I've never visited SJ or SC, but no one has mentioned this idea. I assume b/c of traffic. I have reservations about SC- drugs / crime

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Easy Choice - Orange County! San Jose has the bad aspects of Orange County like the traffic and high cost of real estate without the good aspects like many miles of fabulous beaches.
That's one way to dumb it down: think like a teenager applying to colleges!

BEACH, BRO!!!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
You might want to check the weather at both locations. I was surprised how flat Newport is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose