Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Also features:

ABOUT | Cameron's Inn, Pub & Restaurant

He's got a massive campground he opened up next to the pub/hotel property, too. Nice guy, great place.
Wow, very cool!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM

926 posts, read 979,731 times
i live in eastbay fremont, i go to half moon bay just to enjoy there some weekends, but daily commute will be way too much. If possible, I will pay little bit higher and just live in half moon bay. This is one of my most favorable place to visit.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
The key to better QoL in the Bay Area is: Live as close as possible to work.
Well said. Personally I would love to live in HMB, but work is in San Jose so I'm in San Jose.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Alternatively you might consider looking for a rental in one of the nearby mountain communities.
La Honda.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
I was thinking of La Honda, but it is a bit far.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
If I was in your shoes, I'd rent anything close to my place of employment, and then spend every spare hour scouring the back roads leading into the mountains for that unique place that suits you and your budget. Having lived in the Coastal Range amongst the Redwoods in the early 70's, I think you'll find all types of homes available...admittedly times have changed, but at least the elevation gain will also get you outta the fog.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd rent anything close to my place of employment, and then spend every spare hour scouring the back roads leading into the mountains for that unique place that suits you and your budget. Having lived in the Coastal Range amongst the Redwoods in the early 70's, I think you'll find all types of homes available...admittedly times have changed, but at least the elevation gain will also get you outta the fog.
Yes, things have indeed changed since the 70's. There aren't many secret 'unique places' up in the Santa Cruz mountains or along the coast that would suit the budget of most people. And the few that aren't yet totally yuppified are inhabited by eccentric old hippies who will probably never vacate and will it all to the squirrels upon their passing.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:19 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Yes, things have indeed changed since the 70's. There aren't many secret 'unique places' up in the Santa Cruz mountains or along the coast that would suit the budget of most people. And the few that aren't yet totally yuppified are inhabited by eccentric old hippies who will probably never vacate and will it all to the squirrels upon their passing.
Too bad....it was a unique place to live in the 70's....guess nothing lasts forever....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Having lived in the Coastal Range amongst the Redwoods in the early 70's, I think you'll find all types of homes available...admittedly times have changed
One must inquire about reception issues for various gadgets before signing on the dotted line for a place in the hills. Wouldn't want to find out you have no communication out there the hard way!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSustainability View Post
One final question: My wife may end up joining grad school in fall-14. It may be either UC Berkeley (I hope) or SJSU or UCSC. Considering this, you think she'd be able to commute to any of these schools from north HMB conveniently using public transport or do you think I will have to move closer to her school and then take the brutal commute to HMB?
If she has to commute to grad school she has a few options if you want to stay on the peninsula. Hopefully she would only have classes a couple of times a week.

(1) Live in Millbrae. She can walk to the BART station and take BART to UC Berkeley. You drive to HMB.

(2) Live in Millbrae. She can walk to the CalTrain station (same station as BART) and take CalTrain to SJSU. From San Jose's Diridon Station, she would take DASH (Downtown Area Shuttle) to the west edge of campus on 4th Street, or take eastbound VTA buses 63 or 64 to the northern edge of campus along San Fernando Street. You drive to HMB. (Actually for SJSU, living anywhere along the CalTrain line (where she can walk to it) would work (and you drive to HMB), so living in Burlingame, San Mateo, or Belmont would also work. Probably living in San Mateo or Belmont would be easiest for you to commute to HMB (than the other peninsula cities).

Forget about commuting to UCSC.

Last edited by twins4lynn; 11-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: adding more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose