Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 AM

379 posts, read 786,074 times

Advertisements

I lived in the South Bay for a year and have a lot of friends in the area (was just in SJ last night, actually). We are all 29-30 and agree the Silicon Valley area is not very youth-oriented. Most of it is vey suburban and catered to families. If you want younger, livelier areas you'll want to keep to certain pockets. Check out:

San Jose: Santana Row (will feel the most like OC of these suggestions), Willow Glen, and also maybe the area immediately surrounding SJSU (which is also by downtown SJ, which unfortunately tends to be really quiet on the weekends).
Downtown Mountain View
Santa Clara - the area by Santa Clara University
Downtown Palo Alto (a bit further of a commute)

I think you're smart not to want to live in SF. I live in SF now and love it, but a lot of why I love it is that I work in the city too. It is a long commute to Cupertino, and even on one of those shuttles it'll get old quickly. When I lived in San Jose I went to SF frequently on the weekends, and I also liked that I had easy proximity to Santa Cruz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times
Downtown San Jose is awesome for this, original poster.

Everything you need for daily life is in walking distance: grocery store, drug store, movie theaters, night life, restaurants.

And bus 23 gets you to Apple in Cupertino in about an hour. 323 takes 45 minutes to get within a mile of the main Apple campus.

Don't mind these other people who rely on cars to do everything, and need a short commute because driving is stressful. Many Apple employees can be seen on bus 23 and the limited stop bus 323.

80% of the population of downtown SJ are "young professionals" or college students.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Downtown San Jose is awesome for this, original poster.

Everything you need for daily life is in walking distance: grocery store, drug store, movie theaters, night life, restaurants.

And bus 23 gets you to Apple in Cupertino in about an hour. 323 takes 45 minutes to get within a mile of the main Apple campus.

Don't mind these other people who rely on cars to do everything, and need a short commute because driving is stressful. Many Apple employees can be seen on bus 23 and the limited stop bus 323.

80% of the population of downtown SJ are "young professionals" or college students.
I just wonder, though, if you are going to live in the South Bay, why sign up for an hour each way commute. That's a lot of time you could be doing other things - like working out, socializing, and so forth. That said - I don't think DT SJ to Cupertino would actually be an hour commute if you drove it. I love transit, but it is pretty slow in the South Bay.

OP - DT SJ is definitely worth looking at, but there are good options closer as well. Pretty much everywhere in and around Cupertino is pretty good.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
I lived in the South Bay for a year and have a lot of friends in the area (was just in SJ last night, actually). We are all 29-30 and agree the Silicon Valley area is not very youth-oriented.
I totally disagree, dude. At least seven clubs in a half mile radius in downtown (yes,sjsu is in downtown):

san jose nightlife - Google Search

Quote:
Most of it is vey suburban
No...just Almaden Valley maybe.

Certainly not downtown where all the young people live.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 PM

70+ apartments under $2000 with at least one bedroom, in downtown SJ.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

And hundreds of rooms within an apartment you share with others, within that budget

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-29-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I just wonder, though, if you are going to live in the South Bay, why sign up for an hour each way commute.
It would take roughly that long to drive there from downtown, during rush hour. At least with the bus you can kick back and do other things during that hour.

Housing in Cupetertino is a lot more expensive, in part because everyone wants a short commute to Apple. But you see it doesn't have to be short if you're not having to drive it yourself.

You guys only want a short commute because you're having to concentrate on driving.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 12,673 times
Consider Palo Alto.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Start with an EASY commute - even bicycle to work.

Check out

Glenbrook Apartment Homes
10100 Mary Ave
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 335-0502
North Cupertino Apartments | Glenbrook Apartments in Cupertino, CA 95014

Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.324617,-122.047138,17z

Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelperfect3 View Post
Consider Palo Alto.
How many Palo Altans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just one. She holds on to the lightbulb & the world revolves around her.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
How many Palo Altans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just one. She holds on to the lightbulb & the world revolves around her.
lmao. Wish this thing had a +1 feature where you could see everyone who endorses your post. They had that on another web discussion board I was on, underneath the post it listed everyone who agreed with you, lol

(if you Google my username, I'm all over the internet)

Anyway, +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose