Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:41 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,686,624 times

Advertisements

Since your are young and don't have a family to support I would vote to go where ever you want. If you have to take a small apartment, so what? It isn't your entire life, but being here could open up a great adventure. Don't get to retirement age and wonder whether you made the right decision in 2015. If you don't like it here just move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

115 posts, read 337,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Hi all,

I was just wondering if the bay is even doable on 55k. I'm leaning toward working in the tech industry (my background is in finance). The thing is, right now, my salary isn't as high as what the top kids in engineering are pulling in the bay and I'm concerned that I'll be priced out. My firm is really well known and my salary will go up or give me ops for something that's better after 3 years
I don't really understand this part. Your firm is really well known and they're only offering you 55k for a job in the tech industry in San Jose? That somehow doesn't sound right unless I'm missing something.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:54 PM

145 posts, read 347,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrb View Post
I don't really understand this part. Your firm is really well known and they're only offering you 55k for a job in the tech industry in San Jose? That somehow doesn't sound right unless I'm missing something.
My firm is a well known consulting company that is known for underpaying and overworking people until they're about 5-6 years in (i.e. they're managers). Whether people leave because they're underpaid and overworked or because people leave partners underpay and overwork people is a chicken and egg type of debate that can rage on forever. Essentially, most people will stay on for about 2-3 years because it offers you the chance to work with blue chip companies and then move on to something that pays better, is more interesting, and has better hours.

Hopefully what I said makes a bit more sense now. What I'm trying to determine is if it makes more sense to live in SJ/SF and be close to broke or if I'd be better off in Seattle/Austin/Dallas and live much better but not have as many huge name tech companies that I've done business with.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,686,624 times
It gets down to your personal preferences. I've been in the Bay Area long enough to know that some companies will work you as much and as long as you can tolerate. Be selective about who you work for if you want to have enough time on the weekends to enjoy your life. Understand also that many companies are here today and gone tomorrow. It used to be that everyone wanted to work for Cisco but they demand long hours and have more layoffs than most of the public knows about. But, those who do last the firt year enjoy, on average, a ten thousand dollar bonus. So what is important to you?

I have a machinist cousin who works for less than the going rate in another state, but his boss who really likes his performance, has said he will never be laid off. So, he raised his family on less income, but continued to have time to run the farm and enjoy quality time with friends and family while having job security with health benefits for more than 30 years now.

Only you know how important a roll money will play in your life and what you will sacrafice for it. I have rich friends who always cry they are broke, but the ones I enjoy the most are happy with what ever they have as a dollar won't buy you good health or friends. Life is full of choices and only know what your path will be personally and career wise.

There is no right, or wrong, choice so follow your heart and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose