Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Austin, TX and my husband is considering a job offer in Sunnyvale, CA. We are in the process of negotiating and wondering if $150K is sufficient for our family to live in Sunnyvale. We have a 2 year old and another on the way. I stay home with the kids. We have no debt. We plan on renting a 3 bedroom single family home in a family friendly area. Also, we're visiting the area next weekend and would love recommendations on where we should look at rental houses. The company is located in Sunnyvale. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM

134 posts, read 255,225 times
$150K is a good salary and sufficient to live in the valley. If your preference is a 3 BR SFH, your hubby may have to commute up to an hour each way unless you want to pay $4K/month rent. You can stay closer to work depending on compromises you are willing to make regarding housing.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...e=6&bedrooms=3

If you have questions about specific neighborhood in Sunnyvale, please post it here or PM me.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,605 times
I think it would be tight for a 3 bed SFH in a family-friendly area if schools and a decent commute are a concern.

Definitely survivable, though.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 AM

18 posts, read 66,890 times
Funny, we're looking at moving to Austin (or Denver) from San Jose.

I've lived her for over a decade, and previously lived as a kid in Indiana with a stint in Michigan.

As a father of two (a daughter who is almost 3 and a 2-month old son), I recommend considering the following points before you make the commitment to relocate:

Here are some points about San Jose:

-Allergies for me haven't been too bad at all. I have hay fever and rarely have to take anything for it here.
-Weather is pretty awesome year-round.
-Traffic sucks. Expect a long commute to San Francisco, and even driving to Santa Clara or Palo Alto from the southern part of San Jose can be an hour (or more) in morning rush hour.
-Rent and home ownership is ridiculous. Expect to shell out well over $500k for a modest home.
-Population density isn't nearly as bad as SF, but it's still something to consider.
-Local culture is pretty bland. Lots of ethnic communities, but people stick to those communities instead of going for "americana." Expect few Christmas lights in areas like Cupertino.
-Downtown has crappy shopping and negligible nightlife.
-The San Jose music scene is TERRIBLE, with few places to play. Many venues shut down, and new ones rarely open.
-Many places that have "character" are getting dozed for strip malls and mixed-use buildings.
-Decent restaurants, but your favorite Chinese place will likely close on you.
-Decent parks, but expect everything to feel "fenced-in" or like you're aware of the boundaries everywhere you go. No forests and few open areas in which to go exploring.
-Easy drive to the ocean, but the water is COLD year-round.
-Lots of things to do in the Bay Area, but you're unlikely to have the time to actually enjoy them. This becomes painfully true when you have two small children.
-Hard to make good friends. Everyone is too busy.
-The pace of life is frenetic, and the "rate race" will get to you eventually. Coming from Austin, this will stand out really quickly.
-More of a "town" feel, with lots of suburbia in south SJ, Campbell, Sunnyvale, etc.
-Taxes will get you.
-Crime is rising, with a noticeable uptick in graffiti on street signs and increased gang activity. More stolen cars.
-People can be superficially nice, but there's little depth to it. It can be hard to get to know people even at church.
-Childcare is expensive. May people easily spend hundreds each week (or more).
-People are obsessed with status. It's all about your job and income.
-Austin's brand of "weird" is nothing compared to Berkeley or Santa Cruz.
-Goodbye barbecue. Few BBQ places and they're "meh."

Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM

197 posts, read 347,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongCalifornia View Post

I've lived her for over a decade, and previously lived as a kid in Indiana with a stint in Michigan.

As a father of two (a daughter who is almost 3 and a 2-month old son), I recommend considering the following points before you make the commitment to relocate:

-Allergies for me haven't been too bad at all. I have hay fever and rarely have to take anything for it here.
-Traffic sucks. Expect a long commute to San Francisco, and even driving to Santa Clara or Palo Alto from the southern part of San Jose can be an hour (or more) in morning rush hour.
-Rent and home ownership is ridiculous. Expect to shell out well over $500k for a modest home.
-Population density isn't nearly as bad as SF, but it's still something to consider.
-Local culture is pretty bland. Lots of ethnic communities, but people stick to those communities instead of going for "americana." Expect few Christmas lights in areas like Cupertino.
-The San Jose music scene is TERRIBLE, with few places to play. Many venues shut down, and new ones rarely open.
-Many places that have "character" are getting dozed for strip malls and mixed-use buildings.
-Decent parks, but expect everything to feel "fenced-in" or like you're aware of the boundaries everywhere you go. No forests and few open areas in which to go exploring.
-Lots of things to do in the Bay Area, but you're unlikely to have the time to actually enjoy them. This becomes painfully true when you have two small children.
-The pace of life is frenetic, and the "rate race" will get to you eventually. Coming from Austin, this will stand out really quickly.
-More of a "town" feel, with lots of suburbia in south SJ, Campbell, Sunnyvale, etc.
-Taxes will get you.
-Crime is rising, with a noticeable uptick in graffiti on street signs and increased gang activity. More stolen cars.
-People can be superficially nice, but there's little depth to it. It can be hard to get to know people even at church.
It's a wonder anyone wants to live here. One of the most expensive places to live has that many downfalls. Seems unrealistic.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 PM

377 posts, read 474,975 times
Ha, I will say as someone who doesn't live in the Bay Area this board makes it sound like it's only a marginally positive place to live.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
It's a wonder anyone wants to live here. One of the most expensive places to live has that many downfalls. Seems unrealistic.
The truth is that it is not very accurate, for one there are a ton of open spaces, some which have a lot of trees, particularly the Santa Cruz mountains, this area is not like LA, very few of the hills area are actually developed, and the entire valley is about 14-15 miles across, so it is really not hard to get to an open space reserve, county park, or other similar park at the foothills.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
-The San Jose music scene is TERRIBLE,
You've never been to Café Stritch? Or JJ Blues in Santa Clara? A lot of musicians that live up in SF or Oakland gig regularly in the South Bay too.
Quote:
You want "forests" in San Jose? .... How about the Santa Cruz mountains, a ten minute drive from San Jose?? Places like Rancho San Antonio and other such hiking areas in the foothills. The Santa Cruz mountains are bigger than any mountain in Texas.

Quote:
Is this not true when you have kids, no matter WHERE you live?
Quote:
This I agree with.

Quote:
Austin has more gangs than San Jose.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Ha, I will say as someone who doesn't live in the Bay Area this board makes it sound like it's only a marginally positive place to live.
To the contrary, it's a great place to live. honestly it's my favorite place to live in the U.S. I have previously lived in Colorado, Texas, NYC, D.C. metro area, and Honolulu, and the overall quality of life is much better here.
This I agree with, but there's no point in comparing Texas BBQ to the Bay Area. It's like comparing Bay Area Asian restaurants to Asian food in Texas.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,862,284 times
I am just about to launch another tirade against that anti-San Jose poster, but I'm just gonna join them instead.

OP, San Jose and the surrounding area sucks monkey balls. Since you must work in Sunnyvale, I suggest living there instead, and prepare to slowly die of culture deprivation...

Quote:
Lots of ethnic communities, but people stick to those communities instead of going for "americana." Expect few Christmas lights in areas like Cupertino.
Nobody in those ethnic communities are preventing you from joining in on their party Open up your mind, the ethnic communities in the Bay Area have always been extremely welcoming of each other and of the Anglo communities as well. Just because they don't join you on your side of the city does not mean you can't join them on their side. Just crash the damn party!!!!!

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 01-21-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:

-Taxes will get you.
Excellent summary, and spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose