Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,582,254 times

Advertisements

For a psychology major go with the least expensive quality program and since grad school is her goal study like crazy and earn top grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 PM

30 posts, read 41,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Go to SCU, do the MBA/JD combined program after graduation, eight years from now rake in money as a tax attorney (which she'll need to pay off all that debt).
couldn't agree more! we were actually thinking about this a while back and it seems like a real winning idea! thank you!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Santa Clara University vs University of Washington Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Sorry to hear about the waitlisting. I did my undergrad at UCSD and it is indeed a great program. However, with the much higher number of applicants, I don't know if I would've gotten in if I were applying today.

If your choice is between the two schools, I'd go with UW.
thank you

Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Santa Clara University vs University of Washington Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
For a psychology major go with the least expensive quality program and since grad school is her goal study like crazy and earn top grades.
this is good and i let her read this... thanks

Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
UW is the better school by far. I am a UW Alumnus, myself. However the fact your daughter is out of state will significantly exacerbate her chances of gaining admission. It is a hard school to get into even if you're an in-state resident.

That said, if she had a chance at all of getting in, I'd go for it. Shameless plug
The UW is playing the same game Cal Berkeley is; they need the out-of-state tuition. Besides, OP's daughter has already been accepted to UW, among other schools.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:53 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Go to SCU, do the MBA/JD combined program after graduation, eight years from now rake in money as a tax attorney (which she'll need to pay off all that debt).
This actually sounds like a foolproof idea! And for a more well-rounded undergrad experience, she could do the UW, then apply to SCU for the MBA/JD program. In that case, it would be best for her to take some business classes in her undergrad studies, and do well in them, to strengthen her transcript for acceptance to the MBA/JD program.

OP, on another thread I talked about lawyers creating their own niche after putting in some years working for a firm. I have another friend who did that, then set up his own firm with a colleague, specializing in investment-related law. He's now doing extremely well ($$$) serving big investors and money mgmt companies as clients. The key to getting successfully launched after law school, as I mentioned elsewhere, is to do well in the program, so that the law school job placement office will do its best to place the candidate in a good job.

Best of luck! It sounds like you've gotten some very valuable feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose