Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 AM

926 posts, read 979,490 times

Advertisements

I am reserving seat SFO to LA for this long weekend but contemplating which one is better, anyone has experience travelling with any of these trip?

- airfare is 200$ bit outside my budget plus i wanted to be relaxing journey and not in a cramped seat of airplane, so this is out of equation.

- amtrak - somehow, if i choose origin and dest. from their website, itenary includes bus trip to at both ends. I am confused. Also the route is along 101 so i guess this might be boring trip. Plus, somehow routes goes all the way to bakersfield and 2 hrs bus ride from there to LA, I'd say WTF? However judging from other forum, amtrak is better than bus in terms of leg room, space.

- megabus - sounds like a great option, from their website, all kinds of seats are available (upper deck, table etc.,), but then on the bus outline, only handful of them can be reserved for specific spot all other seats can not be reserved. Well, I want window seat on upper deck, but since it can not be reserved, it can not be guaranteed, so it is kinda risky. Big plus is ticket is only 48$.

- greyhound - well well well, i did before. some people has bad experience and 10 years ago 300miles trip was OK, lot of stops in little town (i know) when I travelled from eastern WA to seattle. Lot of weird people too. One time I had horrible experience with no A/C bus with 2 hr from Spokane to Pullman WA. it was worst.

But I see routes from here in bay area to LA, it looks far better than Amtrak in terms of sightseeing. From bay area, it goes to Santa cruz, back to 101 all the way to San Lius Obispo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard and off to Los angeles. Can not complain if bus itself is not too crowded. So I wonder how crowded this weekend would be.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:56 AM

816 posts, read 968,239 times
Have u checked ride shares?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 AM

68 posts, read 81,508 times
Busses are usually first come first serve. If you get on from SF (end of the line) vs. San Jose you can usually get your pick of seating. It can get warmer up on the upper deck. Megabus>>Greyhound experience as of late. Route will be boring.

Train is usually not worth it unless you are conveniently located walking distance.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
- amtrak - somehow, if i choose origin and dest. from their website, itenary includes bus trip to at both ends. I am confused. Also the route is along 101 so i guess this might be boring trip. Plus, somehow routes goes all the way to bakersfield and 2 hrs bus ride from there to LA, I'd say WTF? However judging from other forum, amtrak is better than bus in terms of leg room, space.
Amtrak does not have a San Francisco terminal. That's what's messing you up.

Try Oakland - Jack London Square (OKJ) -> Los Angeles (LAX)

All train, all the way. The route is not all along 101. Part of it runs along the coastline. There are views that can't be seen from a car. A piece of the route is through Vandenberg AFB, where they still do missile launches.

It is a beautiful, relaxing, very scenic trip. It takes about 12 hours. You get into L.A.'s Union Station around 9 pm or so.

More than you wanted to spend, but... If you really want space and value privacy, book a roomette in First Class. Meals and amenities are included.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
Since you live in Fremont, you can take Amtrak's Coast Starlight from San Jose to Los Angeles. Lots of leg room plus there is a dining car, snack bar and observation car Coast Starlight - the Train from Los Angeles (LAX) to Seattle (SEA) through San Francisco | Amtrak

It leaves San Jose about 10am and arrives in LA at about 9pm - yes, an all day trip! You don't need a roomette, just go coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose