Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 12:54 PM

402 posts, read 538,675 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Could you suggest a good kickboxing school for adults in South San Jose, and very preferably in Santa Teresa neighbourhood? I'm not interesting in "fitness-cardio-kickboxing classes" that many gyms offer on regular basic for people who mostly take them just for some cardio or weight loss. I'm interesting in a respectable and professional school that allows people to continuously develop their martial art skills, and became a fighter in a long-term perspective. I googled and found out that American Kickboxing Academy can be an option. What do you think about that school? Do they have a friendly social environment? I observed they also offer classes for kids (and probable for females as well?), but some commentators on Yelp mentioned that prices a little bit high. What other kickboxing schools can you suggest? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by dogandcat; 02-08-2016 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
AKA is the home of two current UFC middleweight and light heavyweight champions, one heavyweight ex-champion, and the current Bellator light heavyweight champion. They're the top echelon of the MMA school in the entire Bay Area. Their price may actually be worth it if you get to train with and taught by the actual fighters themselves.

Other than them I don't know of any other MMA-specific schools. You get your usual TKD and Kung Fu stuffs around the neighborhood. Heroes MMA in Downtown I heard is pretty good, a lot of jiujitsu.

I would also suggest a pure boxing class as well, to supplement your kickboxing. There's a few good boxing schools around Downtown.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM

402 posts, read 538,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
AKA is the home of two current UFC middleweight and light heavyweight champions, one heavyweight ex-champion, and the current Bellator light heavyweight champion. They're the top echelon of the MMA school in the entire Bay Area. Their price may actually be worth it if you get to train with and taught by the actual fighters themselves.

Other than them I don't know of any other MMA-specific schools. You get your usual TKD and Kung Fu stuffs around the neighborhood. Heroes MMA in Downtown I heard is pretty good, a lot of jiujitsu.

I would also suggest a pure boxing class as well, to supplement your kickboxing. There's a few good boxing schools around Downtown.
Thanks a lot bobby for a valuable detailed response.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:34 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandcat View Post
Thanks a lot bobby for a valuable detailed response.
You're welcome

Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
I used to do martial arts in high school, and lately thought that if I got back into it, I would do Jeet Kune Do. There's a place called Tandez Academy, in Mountain View, that teaches JKD. They also do Kali. The head Sifu knows Dan Inosanto; there's video on their youtube of him giving Dan a birthday card. So the JKD they do there would appear to be of that lineage. Inosanto advocates learning Original JKD before you go into what he calls "JKD Concepts", which is a form of MMA. So Wing Chun would be involved. Modern Inosanto JDK Concepts involves BJJ. So I would suggest checking them out:

http://www.tandezacademy.com/

The other JKD place that seems like it would be good is "The Oakland School" but they don't have a studio per se. It is a group of people who meet in high school gyms etc. in Hayward. The founder learned JKD directly from Bruce Lee and taught his son. You have to email them and tell them you want to learn. Their site:

Original Jeet Kune Do Martial Arts and Self Defense

Old 03-02-2016, 04:03 PM

7 posts, read 5,714 times
In the Santa Teresa neighborhood there is a West Coast World Martial Arts. Their focus is Tae Kwon Do, but they were one of the first studios to offer MMA classes starting in the 90s. AKA is also in Santa Teresa and I've heard good things about their studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose