Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 02:05 AM

90 posts, read 168,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have setup an home alarm system. When setting it up I got a message from their website that I must get a permit for my alarm system else the police will not respond to my alarm. What do I have to do to get a permit? As per this website Verified Response Protocol Information the police will only respond if there is a person on site that confirms a crime is occurring? How will this work? Say I am in my bedroom sleeping and my alarm goes off, am I supposed to get out and confirm there is someone in the house and then call the police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Alarm permits are not required in San Jose. They're typically not required in verified response communities.

Verified response explains what happens when your alarm monitoring company receives an alarm notification. It's doesn't apply to you, or if you don't have alarm monitoring. Under a verified response protocol, the alarm monitoring company contacts you first to confirm eyewitness or remote audio/video verification of an intrusion. If you can't confirm, they either don't call the police, or call it in as an unverified alarm, which in most cases the police ignore in verified response communities.

If you're in the house and the alarm goes off, and you know it's a real intrusion, you can call 911 yourself, or wait for your alarm monitoring company to call you, and then tell them it's a valid alarm. I wouldn't call 911 before confirming it wasn't a spouse or other household member accidentally setting off the alarm, but that's just me. You can do whatever you want.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:03 PM

90 posts, read 168,390 times
So the situation is such that I was in the bedroom and the alarm started doing it's countdown. It could be the sensor was malfunctioning and I thought so and shutdown the countdown before the alarm went off. However, today I might think that this is a real intrusion but I wouldn't want to go into the living room to confirm there is a person there. In which case should I just call the police without verifying that this is a sensor malfunction. This has happened only once in close to 4 years of owning the alarm monitoring system.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM

176 posts, read 255,653 times
In San Jose they won't come unless you tell them there is someone in your house right now. If you tell them you THINK there is someone in your house they might come, I don't know. I'm sure they'll let you know when you call.

In the scenario you describe, I'd call 911 myself. If I was a single female, at home alone, I wouldn't want to go looking for an intruder to confirm. I'd just get on the phone with 911. At least you can go look while they are on the line with you.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
Hello,
I have setup an home alarm system. When setting it up I got a message from their website that I must get a permit for my alarm system else the police will not respond to my alarm. What do I have to do to get a permit? As per this website Verified Response Protocol Information the police will only respond if there is a person on site that confirms a crime is occurring? How will this work? Say I am in my bedroom sleeping and my alarm goes off, am I supposed to get out and confirm there is someone in the house and then call the police?
They call the number on file and you tell them if it's a false alarm or if you think there might be an intruder. I don't have a monitored alarm just two wireless cameras that record any audio or video to an SD card and sound a beeping alarm on my remote monitor. I used to have an elaborate system and paid for monitoring but the only person who ever set of the alarm was me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose