Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,995 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have 7+ years son, who is mild autistic, We are planning to move to Cupertino, CA. DOes any one recommend good school dist that serves well for Autism kids.

Also, we are moving from NJ, where he currently attends a special school. If we have IEP for next year, does that help in transition to school in Cupertino faster or does cupertino school does their IEP again?

We can move anytime, what would be the best time we move? If we move just in time before school year close, does that help my son to go to school from day 1 next year? He would get summer school in NJ for July, so I am not sure which would be appropriate time. Kindly advice.

Many Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Mandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 17,587 times
I am assuming based on your move to Cupertino that either you or your spouse is working at the fruit company. How firm are your plans to stay within the district boundaries of Cupertino Union? We are currently moving away from the district after four years here. My child did not qualify for an IEP but does have a 504 Plan. I am familiar with their process. As a current resident, I would advise you to do your research. The district is currently in turmoil due to disagreements between the superintendent and school board and parents and teachers. There is a definitive, palpable divide between the community here and it's beginning to trickle down to the students. Many elementary schools in the district are reporting decreased fundraising and donations as well as lack of parental volunteerism which is eliminating programs throughout the district altogether. Overall, Cupertino Union is one of the least funded (per pupil) public school districts in the state of California. The district overall is suffering and is expected to see decreased enrollment over the next two to three years. The district has already announced they are condensing or eliminating classroom and school site support positions. In addition, the district is faced with the ever increasing cost of living and it's beginning to impact an inability to retain good teachers and hire new ones. I would highly suggest researching other districts in and around Cupertino.

To add, we moved from the East Coast and were both born and raised there. My perspective may be a bit different than the response of someone who grew up in the Bay Area. I will also fully admit we have not had the greatest experience in the district so that is influencing my response. We came with the belief that Cupertino Union was the best school around, hands down. To some, depending on your background or beliefs or emphasis on education, it may be. But for us personally, it didn't fulfill those expectations.

Other factors to consider, which will help with replies - what is your budget? What distance are you or your spouse willing to commute? Do you plan to buy or rent?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,995 times
Default School dist for 7+ years autism guy

Hi ab1980,

We are not firm on cupertino, what ever is best we can move there and travel to work. Please let know which school dist you consider better. We are renting first before we buy, all depends on his school. Also what is the best time to move, we can either move after academic year end or before that. Kindly advice.

Thanks
Mandy

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 17,587 times
It's helpful before recommending areas to know your monthly housing budget. Also, please provide the maximum commute time you are willing to commit. Even though the area is expensive, there are areas much more expensive than others. This also is true for the school districts. One could be highly rated and directly next to a district that is poorly rated.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:31 AM

12 posts, read 11,829 times
i can't give advice on the special needs aspect, but my kids have been in Cupertino schools for many years and I'm not quite feeling the impending doom and gloom like the other poster. I am aware of the issues but I really don't think it's bad enough to lead to a drop in enrollment.

We have family on the East Coast (we are from there) with public school districts that have more money than they know what to do with and the schools here really do have much less to offer in terms of support and programs (NO BUSES - though they do provide them for special needs).

Don't be fooled into thinking a high API score = a good school. Look at the demographics at that particular school and that will explain the high score. In fact, I would say socially that school would be deficient because it's harder for some kids to form quality friendships because their classmates all go to other schools or enrichment programs after school. Not much neighborhood playtime.

Unless you are very active in the schools it can be isolating here, especially if you are an introvert. I can go to the park near my house on some days and it will be full of families but none of them speaking English.

We've been here for 11 years and if I had to do it over again I'd choose Los Altos or Los Gatos or even as far away as Silver Creek in San Jose. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you wish to see it) our home is too valuable of an asset to sell now, so we stay!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Hi,
I am in the exact same situation. Just moved from southern cal. Anyone with first hand experience with special needs programs/Autism in Cupertino/sunnyvale/san jose schools can comment?

Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 2,549 times
I have a 13yr old child high functioning ASD, we live in SJ and have done extensive research on schools and experimented with schools. I can say that the public SJ Unified School District is absolutely not equipped to handle special needs! I have happy to share my personal experience privately (not sure how to PM here), and the only advice I can give is:
- If you choose to pursue the public school path, choose a school district with decent funding (Palo Alto) that would have the funds to help your child. You can also look at Charter Schools like Discovery Charter that are sheltered and more inclusive.
- If you choose to pursue the private school path, I have found most private schools for kids with mild-moderate special needs to be up in the Peninsula (Belmont, San Mateo - that is where my son will be commuting to in the fall).
Happy to help further!

Sheila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose